[Q] Warranty if rooted?

Search This thread

vacoray

Dec 6, 2009
Coming from a HTC EVO 4G LTE on Sprint (what a joke) to the HTC M8 on Verizon. If i root will there be a problem if I need to warranty this phone? With Sprint it was an issue.

adavit

Dec 6, 2009
Lima
Legally by rooting your phone you are voiding your warranty. Normally though verizon doesn't check these things. If you would need to return your phone for some reason there is a partial RUU to get you back to looking stock.

k.electron

Jan 27, 2009
Legally by rooting your phone you are voiding your warranty. Normally though verizon doesn't check these things. If you would need to return your phone for some reason there is a partial RUU to get you back to looking stock.

actually, legally, rooting does not void your warranty. however most manufacturers have clauses where modification will void warranty.

if you destroyed your phone from your own tinkering, man up and pay full price.

if it is genuinely a bad phone, then verizon usually doesnt care about these things.

consider this: if you return a phone you broke, that is one more reason for verizon to lock down everyone else's joy.

wtoj34

Jan 28, 2012
San Antonio, TX
It'll differ for everyone. It you bought it from a Verizon store and have a hardware defect you could just flash the ruu and fake h boot screens and hope for the best. The guy at my Verizon store is a toughie and will check more than just the visual signs of root but the store across town will return it even if they boot your device with a custom boot animation lol

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1ManWolfePack

adavit

Dec 6, 2009
Lima
actually, legally, rooting does not void your warranty. however most manufacturers have clauses where modification will void warranty.

if you destroyed your phone from your own tinkering, man up and pay full price.

if it is genuinely a bad phone, then verizon usually doesnt care about these things.

consider this: if you return a phone you broke, that is one more reason for verizon to lock down everyone else's joy.

Huh, I always read that it caused your warranty to be voided. Usually when you read a Dev post for a mod it always first says your warranty is now voided. Either way, its a good idea to know what you're doing that way if something does go wrong you can easily fix it without having to get Verizon involved lol.

vacoray

Dec 6, 2009
With the Sprint phone when you S off there was a way to change the word "tampered". But also someone made something to go completely back to stock flashing a RUU and something else I forget now. With the M8 is there something like that yet?

k.electron

Jan 27, 2009
Huh, I always read that it caused your warranty to be voided. Usually when you read a Dev post for a mod it always first says your warranty is now voided. Either way, its a good idea to know what you're doing that way if something does go wrong you can easily fix it without having to get Verizon involved lol.

law, company policy, terms and agreements are 3 different things.

it is prudent for devs to have that disclaimer so that noobs wont blame them.

brandogg

Jul 27, 2008
If the manufacturer tells you that rooting your phone voids your warranty, then rooting your phone voids your warranty.

l7777

May 2, 2007
If the manufacturer tells you that rooting your phone voids your warranty, then rooting your phone voids your warranty.
People and companies can say anything they want, doesn't change their liabilities according to law. Ever seen the signs on dump trucks claiming that they aren't responsible for broken windshields when they most certainly are if the rock that broke it falls off their truck? According to law, they have to prove that the modification caused the defect and even then they can only void the warranty on that part, not the entire device. Though even at full retail, I'm sure it would be far cheaper to just buy a new device rather than fight a legal battle to get a defect warrantied.

kc6wke

Feb 19, 2012
So, Cal
You can always run the Ruu, relock the bootloader, uninstall root and return to S-On.
I have done this already without issues.

Reactions: vacoray

schwartz.matthew.e

Sep 17, 2013
I just exchanged one rooted and with a different ROM on it. People make way too much of a deal out of this.

brandogg

Jul 27, 2008
Not being responsible for damage if you follow a dump truck too closely (traffic laws take precedent over that anyway) and voiding your warranty by rooting your phone aren't really anything alike. Of course the manufacturer can set their own (reasonable) warranty terms, if this was a real issue there would (probably) be a class action suit and rooting your phone would not void your warranty, and manufacturers and retailers would not be allowed to say that it does. Just like removing (or tampering with) the seal on an Xbox or PlayStation voids your warranty, or your water damage indicator showing that it was wet voids your warranty. Now, I'm not saying I'm with either side or that there aren't ways to skirt the issue, but there's really nothing to argue here. If the manufacturer says "if you do this, you're on your own" then if you do it, you're on your own.

Even Google tells you that rooting voids your warranty (and shows you how to do it)
https://developers.google.com/events/io/sessions/332704837

deeznuts

Sep 19, 2007

This right here people, not rocket science here. Shoot I've returned devices with root and even custom recovery and Rom, lol! Simply do as above and ur good. For the people that return devices to store I never have. I call customer services, they send me replacement device in mail, I then mail back my bunk phone. Done and done. Easy.

Reactions: adavit

kc6wke

Feb 19, 2012
So, Cal
For future reference would you mind telling me how to do this? Thanks in advanced!
This is how I did Mine.

1.Run the RUU found Here
http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23329332407588316
Place on external sd card and boot into bootloader and let it run
or place in fastboot dir open cmd window
fastboot oem rebootRUU
fastboot flash zip 0P6BIMG.zip
Reboot
The phone is back to stock now(rooted, will uninstall later).

2.Relock the bootloader
With the phone booted up, open cmd window in adb folder
adb devices (make sure its connected)
adb shell
su
echo -ne ‘\x00\x00\x00\x00′ | dd of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p2 bs=1 seek=33796
exit
exit
adb reboot bootloader
verify "locked" status.

3.Return to S-ON
reboot into bootloader
open cmd window in fastboot dir

fastboot oem writesecureflag 3
Reboot to bootloader and verify S-On

4.Reboot Phone and open superSU
go to settings
scroll close to bottom to full unroot
You should be Stock, unrooted, Locked, and S-On Now.
"Do this at your own risk"

I don't know if S-OFF can be achieved again after writing S-On. I did not Try

eikast

Feb 22, 2012
I went to exchange my phone at Verizon and the lady didn't even boot on the old one to make sure that it works.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    For future reference would you mind telling me how to do this? Thanks in advanced!
    This is how I did Mine.

1.Run the RUU found Here
    http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23329332407588316
    Place on external sd card and boot into bootloader and let it run
    or place in fastboot dir open cmd window
    fastboot oem rebootRUU
    fastboot flash zip 0P6BIMG.zip
    Reboot
    The phone is back to stock now(rooted, will uninstall later).

2.Relock the bootloader
    With the phone booted up, open cmd window in adb folder
    adb devices (make sure its connected)
    adb shell
    su
    echo -ne ‘\x00\x00\x00\x00′ | dd of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p2 bs=1 seek=33796
    exit
    exit
    adb reboot bootloader
    verify "locked" status.

3.Return to S-ON
    reboot into bootloader
    open cmd window in fastboot dir

fastboot oem writesecureflag 3
    Reboot to bootloader and verify S-On

4.Reboot Phone and open superSU
    go to settings
    scroll close to bottom to full unroot
    You should be Stock, unrooted, Locked, and S-On Now.
    "Do this at your own risk"

I don't know if S-OFF can be achieved again after writing S-On. I did not Try
    It'll differ for everyone. It you bought it from a Verizon store and have a hardware defect you could just flash the ruu and fake h boot screens and hope for the best. The guy at my Verizon store is a toughie and will check more than just the visual signs of root but the store across town will return it even if they boot your device with a custom boot animation lol

You can always run the Ruu, relock the bootloader, uninstall root and return to S-On.
    I have done this already without issues.

This right here people, not rocket science here. Shoot I've returned devices with root and even custom recovery and Rom, lol! Simply do as above and ur good. For the people that return devices to store I never have. I call customer services, they send me replacement device in mail, I then mail back my bunk phone. Done and done. Easy.
    Warranty...Of course not. Please post questions in the proper questions and answers thread.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using XDA Premium 4 mobile app