Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,782,032 Members 52,377 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

USB Charging made easier...

Tip us?
 
tomosensei
Old
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 1
Join Date: Nov 2008
Storage USB Charging made easier...

On a whim, I picked up a USB charging adapter for a Samsung P1000 Galaxy Tab and tried it with my Nook HD. It allows my Nook HD to charge from USB batteries that it refused to acknowledge previously.

The adapter is basically a USB Plug/Socket with a couple of resistors on the inside to emulate the correct voltages on the D+/D- lines. When in use, the Nook HD sees my batteries as AC input. I picked mine up on eBay for around $5 from a seller in CA. DealExtreme has one that is slightly different but should work the same. dx.com/p/usb-2-0-male-to-female-extension-cable-w-data-charger-switch-for-samsung-p7510-more-black-258964

Here is the listing on eBay for the one that I bought. ebay.com/itm/190702898352?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p398 4.m1497.l2649

This will possibly help many like myself who have batteries already that the Nook HD/HD+ just doesn't like.

Hope it helps!!
The Following User Says Thank You to tomosensei For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
jeober
Old
#2  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 8
Join Date: Mar 2011
Default Just FYI

For those inclined to modify a USB charger or to create a charger cable jumper adapter by modding a spare USB extension cable;

If the Nook sees the two USB data wires tied together and not tied to a voltage through a resistor (i.e., leave floating), the Nook will go to full charge mode.
 
jmelvin
Old
#3  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 18
Posts: 131
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Tampa
I have an original P1000 charging cable and it will not fit in the Nook HD that I found. Was hoping to power it up to maybe get some owner info with out having to buy a cable.
Galaxy Note III
Tweaked Kat Alpha NF1

InCar:
Galaxy Tab P1000
JB 4.2.2

Retired:
SII SGH-T989 aka my alarm clock!
TMUSA HD2
 
Classpro
Old
#4  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 9
Posts: 124
Join Date: Jul 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomosensei View Post
On a whim, I picked up a USB charging adapter for a Samsung P1000 Galaxy Tab and tried it with my Nook HD. It allows my Nook HD to charge from USB batteries that it refused to acknowledge previously.

The adapter is basically a USB Plug/Socket with a couple of resistors on the inside to emulate the correct voltages on the D+/D- lines. When in use, the Nook HD sees my batteries as AC input. I picked mine up on eBay for around $5 from a seller in CA. DealExtreme has one that is slightly different but should work the same. dx.com/p/usb-2-0-male-to-female-extension-cable-w-data-charger-switch-for-samsung-p7510-more-black-258964

Here is the listing on eBay for the one that I bought. ebay.com/itm/190702898352?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p398 4.m1497.l2649

This will possibly help many like myself who have batteries already that the Nook HD/HD+ just doesn't like.

Hope it helps!!
I bought three of these based on this suggestion and they don't work at all for me with Apple batteries or chargers. Not sure what is going on.
 
ro-76
Old
#5  
Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 41
Join Date: Jul 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeober View Post
For those inclined to modify a USB charger or to create a charger cable jumper adapter by modding a spare USB extension cable;

If the Nook sees the two USB data wires tied together and not tied to a voltage through a resistor (i.e., leave floating), the Nook will go to full charge mode.
Have you done this? I tried and it doesn't woe for me. I previously had a nexus 7 for which that trick worked, but not with the nook hd.
 
Tzul
Old
(Last edited by Tzul; Yesterday at 06:02 PM.)
#6  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 3
Posts: 11
Join Date: Jun 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by ro-76 View Post
Have you done this? I tried and it doesn't woe for me. I previously had a nexus 7 for which that trick worked, but not with the nook hd.
I have modified a short extension cable and it works perfectly. Are you sure you've properly short-circuited the D+ and D- pins on the Nook's side of the cable?
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Top 5 LG G3 MODs – XDA Developer TV

The LG G3 has been LG’s breakout hit of the summer. Using their knowledge frombuilding some … more

Make Your Calendar Widget Beautiful with Month

For some of us, summer vacation is alreadyover. For those getting ready to school, work, or … more

Integrate Social Networks Into Your Project With ASNE Library

Social network applications and services have developed into major parts ofour … more

Give Your Android Wear Device a Lock Screen with Lockable

Without a doubt,Android Wear is one of the most frequently talked abouttopics of … more