Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,740,200 Members 40,883 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] EVO 4g LTE Stuck in repeating bootloop FIXED new phone

Tip us?
 
m1gramme
Old
(Last edited by m1gramme; 2nd July 2014 at 10:32 PM.) Reason: Fixed
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 14
Join Date: Nov 2010
Default [Q] EVO 4g LTE Stuck in repeating bootloop FIXED new phone

This is going to be a long story hopefully someone will find the trigger.

My phone has been succussfully been S-off and rooted using the DirtyRacun method for over a year. I have used the recovery and booted different ROMs with no problem. I have found a ROM that I like and have been using it and haven't changed anything recently. The following problem arose from a normal day of usage.

I had my phone turned off because I was not going to be using it and wanted to conserve battery. Upon turning it on it was fine and battery above 60%. Within an hour my phone screen was black and unresponsive although the bottom lights were on. I held the power button to do a soft reset. My phone is now stuck in a bootloop at the white htc screen. I rebooted to the bootloader where upon when it does the image checks NONE of them are found. I tried to boot into recovery. Again it goes to the white htc screen and enters a bootloop. I boot back into bootloader. If I go to the powerdown option my phone turns off. 20 seconds later it turns itself back on without any intervention and goes back to bootloop. I let the battery die and then plugged it in. It charged for a while and then proceeded to start turning itself back into bootloop without any intervention.

I did also try to fastboot flash recovery twp.image It was unsuccessful due to low remote battery. (phone has currently died again. I'm going to let it charge until it starts itself again and retry that step to see if I might have a large enough charge then). The following from the Don't Panic guide is most relevant I believe...

"Bad kernel and or system image and recovery Phone will boot to boot loader, will not boot to OS and selecting recovery will boot to boot loader. All is not lost, simply fastboot recovery and or boot image (for those on HBOOT 1.15 and higher) and then flash ROM from recovery. This happens but it is very unlikely it will happen to you."



HELP....

I am outside of my league on this one.

Any help will be much appreciated

I took it to Sprint. They thout it was the power button, after replacing it and the same I got a refurbashed phone through TEP insurance at no cost. WIN. Except does anyone have S-off suggestions for Hboot 2.09 and mainver 3.17.651.4 dirtyracun which I am familiar with does not apper to work.
 
fizbanrapper
Old
#2  
Member
Thanks Meter 52
Posts: 88
Join Date: Jan 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1gramme View Post
This is going to be a long story hopefully someone will find the trigger.

My phone has been succussfully been S-off and rooted using the DirtyRacun method for over a year. I have used the recovery and booted different ROMs with no problem. I have found a ROM that I like and have been using it and haven't changed anything recently. The following problem arose from a normal day of usage.

I had my phone turned off because I was not going to be using it and wanted to conserve battery. Upon turning it on it was fine and battery above 60%. Within an hour my phone screen was black and unresponsive although the bottom lights were on. I held the power button to do a soft reset. My phone is now stuck in a bootloop at the white htc screen. I rebooted to the bootloader where upon when it does the image checks NONE of them are found. I tried to boot into recovery. Again it goes to the white htc screen and enters a bootloop. I boot back into bootloader. If I go to the powerdown option my phone turns off. 20 seconds later it turns itself back on without any intervention and goes back to bootloop. I let the battery die and then plugged it in. It charged for a while and then proceeded to start turning itself back into bootloop without any intervention.

I did also try to fastboot flash recovery twp.image It was unsuccessful due to low remote battery. (phone has currently died again. I'm going to let it charge until it starts itself again and retry that step to see if I might have a large enough charge then). The following from the Don't Panic guide is most relevant I believe...

"Bad kernel and or system image and recovery Phone will boot to boot loader, will not boot to OS and selecting recovery will boot to boot loader. All is not lost, simply fastboot recovery and or boot image (for those on HBOOT 1.15 and higher) and then flash ROM from recovery. This happens but it is very unlikely it will happen to you."



HELP....

I am outside of my league on this one.

Any help will be much appreciated
Did you upgrade to the new partitions? What ROM had you flashed? The only two S-off methods that I know that work without any problems are rumrunner and firewater.

What HBoot version? What exact version of TWRP are you trying to flash? If you've upgraded to new partitions, you'll need the modified TWRP.

Once you provide a bit more information, it will be easier to tell you what to do next.
The Following User Says Thank You to fizbanrapper For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
m1gramme
Old
#3  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 14
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by fizbanrapper View Post
Did you upgrade to the new partitions? What ROM had you flashed? The only two S-off methods that I know that work without any problems are rumrunner and firewater.

What HBoot version? What exact version of TWRP are you trying to flash? If you've upgraded to new partitions, you'll need the modified TWRP.

Once you provide a bit more information, it will be easier to tell you what to do next.
My HBOOT is 2.09.4444
I believe my ROM was eiter a rooted sense or BeanStalk 4.3. I honestly don't remember because I haven't changed anything in so long.
I had TWP openrecovery-twrp-2.6.3.0-jewel.img

Again this wasn't a problem that came from trying to change anything. My phone froze I soft-reset it and it was in an unstoppable bootloop. No images were found. Telling it to go to recovery still took it to bootloop. Even after power down from bootloader, after 20 seconds it boots back into bootloop.

The problem I feel most at hand is I can't charge the battery enough to do anything because it appears to not charge in bootloader.
 
m1gramme
Old
#4  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 14
Join Date: Nov 2010
I have had my phone rooted and s-off through Dirty Racun for almost a year now and have been using the same setup without changing for at least 6 months.
 
Magnum_Enforcer
Old
#5  
Magnum_Enforcer's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1819
Posts: 3,406
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Birmingham, AL

 
DONATE TO ME
The "no image" error you're referring to isn't a error at all. It's normal-the bootloader is scanning for a file named PJ75IMG.zip on the external SD card. Unless you have one on it, you'll get that message. It's normal. Have you tried removing your SD card and seeing if the phone will boot? Also, have you had any luck powering the phone off and letting it charge?
 
yorisou
Old
#6  
yorisou's Avatar
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 6
Posts: 25
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: The Woodlands, Texas
If you're able to and have the proper equipment, I'd test the internal battery with a voltage meter to see if it is even able to hold a charge, will save a lot of frustration.
 
m1gramme
Old
#7  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 14
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum_Enforcer View Post
The "no image" error you're referring to isn't a error at all. It's normal-the bootloader is scanning for a file named PJ75IMG.zip on the external SD card. Unless you have one on it, you'll get that message. It's normal. Have you tried removing your SD card and seeing if the phone will boot? Also, have you had any luck powering the phone off and letting it charge?
Again the hardest part about this is my phone refuses to turn off. I have gone into the bootloader and selected Power Down. The phone turns off and the charge light blinks. Then 20 seconds later without me touching it, it turns on and starts into the bootloop.

I am currently finding some luck by holding the down button so when it starts itself again I can be in bootloader mode and select power down. I have elevated my battery from 3530mv to 3649mv (as per fastboot getvar battery-voltage)
Any suggestion as to where a good number to reach would be helpful.
 
m1gramme
Old
#8  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 14
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum_Enforcer View Post
The "no image" error you're referring to isn't a error at all. It's normal-the bootloader is scanning for a file named PJ75IMG.zip on the external SD card. Unless you have one on it, you'll get that message. It's normal. Have you tried removing your SD card and seeing if the phone will boot? Also, have you had any luck powering the phone off and letting it charge?
See above about "charging" after getting it up a little (and without SD card) I tried booting to recovery (getvar battery-status good) still went to htc bootloop screen. Tried to flash recovery and boot as per
"Bad kernel and or system image and recovery Phone will boot to boot loader, will not boot to OS and selecting recovery will boot to boot loader. All is not lost, simply fastboot recovery and or boot image (for those on HBOOT 1.15 and higher) and then flash ROM from recovery. This happens but it is very unlikely it will happen to you."
in troubleshooting guide. Still continues in bootloop
 
m1gramme
Old
#9  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 14
Join Date: Nov 2010
So a littel update after spending forever with my charging trick I was able to get a little more charge. I was able to run commands of flash recovery it stated it was complete. Still boots to bootloop. I was able to try to run RUU using RUU 3.15.651.16 - HBOOT 2.09

fastboot oem lock
fastboot oem rebootRUU
fastboot flash zip RUU.zip

The whole process worked (said it did)
Still in repeating bootloops at htc screen.
Phone still turns itself on into a bootloop even after selecting power down from bootloader.

I'm beginning to think it's the dreaded brick...
 
Magnum_Enforcer
Old
#10  
Magnum_Enforcer's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1819
Posts: 3,406
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Birmingham, AL

 
DONATE TO ME
Interesting issue, indeed. There were some problems reported with the 3.15 RUU, but none that should cause the issue you're having. Check out the top link in my sig and go to the bottom of the first post. Hit up the link for VipeRUU. I suggest trying it and returning your phone to stock. If after returning your phone to stock the issue persists, then you most likely have a hardware issue (already sounds like that's likely the case). If you have TEP with Sprint you can take the phone to a Sprint service center and see about getting it replaced.

Sent from my HTC device

The Following User Says Thank You to Magnum_Enforcer For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Tags
bootloop, can't charge, missing images
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


XDA PORTAL POSTS

Rotation Lets You Take Full Control of Your Device’s Orientation Settings

To be brutally honest, the native options for screen … more

Change the Alarm Icon in the Status Bar with Xposed

It’s hard to find a more hated object than your alarm clock. They wake us up nearly … more

Return to Outer Space Outer Space with Ship Up Game

Since the release of Flappy Birds, we’ve had the “fortune” to see … more

Device Review: OnePlus One

Seemingly every day, there are a bunch of new devices being released. Some are budget devices and some are … more