Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,805,233 Members 50,781 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Padfone 2 bricked: invalid kernel

Tip us?

gentle_giant
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 102
Default [Q] Padfone 2 bricked: invalid kernel

After a lot of reading on Xda and Modaco I am still not much further.
After rooting with Framaroot and installing TWRP through Goomanager I bricked my phone because I forgot to unlock the bootloader....

Is there any hope for this phone?
The phone cannot get into fastboot: power button + volume up.
Recovery menu (power button + volume down) is non-functional > I get the "invalid kernel" message again.

ADB and Fastboot and cmd in Windows are all very new to me but I have nothing to loose.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

vakilando
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default "invalid kernel !!!" - I bricked my phone

Hello,

I have exactly the same problem... I've also red a lot without finding any suitable solution...
I rooted with Framaroot, installed TWRP and thats it - I bricked my phone (probably because I forgot to unlock the bootloader?)....
Same problem for me: the phone won't get into fastboot (Power+VolUp).
Recovery menu (Power+VolDown) doesn't work: I always get "invalid kernel !!!"

gentle_giant
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 102
Hi Vakilando,

It seems we're on our own with this problem. Either no one has an answer or all knowledgeable people never had to deal with this problem.
We also choose a not-so-popular phone. The tablet-phone combi is too expensive and the tablet of mediocre specs.
I went for the too-good-to-be-true price for the phone-only... and after a lot of reading found out that quit a few people had problems with their phone.

Perhaps some code monkey (no disrespect) could tell me if we have more options when the phone is connected to a Linux system? Android is Linux based, so that would be a compatible pair. Windows can only see one partion on a flash card and, but I might be wrong, Windows cannot read EXT 3, 4 partitions.

Windows device manager does recognize the phone as "ASUS Android Bootloader Interface" so the phone is not completely non-responsive.

I also posted on a German site; Android-Hilfe where there's a dedicated forum with knowledgeable people so perhaps that gives more options.

migmig0012@gmail.com
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Wink do this!it will work!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentle_giant View Post
After a lot of reading on Xda and Modaco I am still not much further.
After rooting with Framaroot and installing TWRP through Goomanager I bricked my phone because I forgot to unlock the bootloader....

Is there any hope for this phone?
The phone cannot get into fastboot: power button + volume up.
Recovery menu (power button + volume down) is non-functional > I get the "invalid kernel" message again.

ADB and Fastboot and cmd in Windows are all very new to me but I have nothing to loose.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
jUst flash a cwm recovery with fastboot mod!it will work!my padfone 2 brick like this but now his alive

goldenval
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Sorry, for not well-advanced users - could you please describe step-by step how to flash phone in "invalid kernel" condition CWM recovery with fastboot? Tnanks!

gentle_giant
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 102
Ola Goldenval, try this link, it worked for me.
The Following User Says Thank You to gentle_giant For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

goldenval
Old
Thanks Meter 2
This is first link I found in google & tried to follow. My problem is that PC (W7 ultimate) doesn't see the phone. So cmd window is hanging on message "waiting for device" forever. Problem isn't in PC, as I tried different PC, where another similar phone had been seen some time ago.

gentle_giant
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 102
Hi Goldenval,
the onlything I can tell you is that it didn't work out for me the first time, just like you now. Then I found another, German, website with lots of information on the subject and I gave it another try. Second time I succeeded...
it is a long time since it happened so I can't recall all the details but keep on trying and you will succed.