Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,738,440 Members 51,351 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Root XT910 Jelly Bean (EASY way)

Tip us?

laerun81
Old
(Last edited by laerun81; 8th May 2013 at 09:54 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 62
Default Root XT910 Jelly Bean (EASY way)

I apologize if this has already been mentioned elsewhere, I did skim through the main posts and perform a search for the general topic. This root method is basicly just djrbliss' over @ droidrzr.com except it was massively simplified by another user named marty45714. So essentially this is technically now a method to root xt910 using windows! And its SUPER simple, especially for non Linux users like myself. Here is a direct quote of his post:

"Moderator,

I spent the weekend working on something really lightweight to get this done easily, and I've finally got it working and ready.
Using Oracle VirtualBox with a Tiny Core Linux VM, I've managed to get this down to a 46 MB download.
Everything is automatic... helps the user get connected to SMB, then helps with getting connected with USB debugging before running the exploit.
I spent most of the entire weekend tweaking with Tiny Core Linux to get this ready. Please share. Where's the best place to start a new thread to get the word out about this?

Here are the steps:

1) Install Sun VirtualBox on your Windows PC. [EDIT: Link ---> https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads <--- Provided my MichelBFR, aint he swell? ]

2) Download the VirtualBox .ova file here:
dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/bb53ayj5c3nd5ie/Root_Bionic_JB.ova?token_hash=AAGSOYfPuDXTur_e9qlY l2JRERovPyfMwe-2xNzHXg4Lxg&dl=1 [EDIT: Link dead, see below]

3) Import the .ova file into VirtualBox. (Click "File" then "Import Appliance".)

4) Start the imported VM in VirtualBox (Click the big "Start" Button. It has a green arrow icon.)

5) Follow the instructions on the Linux console."

I also apologize for not coding links etc, I am not an advanced forum user. I just really wanted to share this with anyone who may not have come across this as of yet. If any of you need any further assistance I can try to help as I have successfully used this method and I know absolutely nothing about linux. Enjoy!

EDIT: New link uploaded for step #2 http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?84f3hkx11bpl3fc <---- Thanks MichelBFR!!! [LINK UPDATED]
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
****** NEW TUTORIAL ******

MichelBFR has gone the extra mile and simplified this process even further on page three, check it out! ======> http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...7&postcount=30
The Following 55 Users Say Thank You to laerun81 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

knives809
Old
Thanks Meter 15
This is awesome!!! Good news for us! I will try this when i get back from work!!! Many thanks for sharing!

laerun81
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by knives809 View Post
This is awesome!!! Good news for us! I will try this when i get back from work!!! Many thanks for sharing!
NP. I just kinda stumbled across it browsing through the forums, all credit goes to djrbliss and marty45714. Let me know how it goes!

kristiangmez
Old
(Last edited by kristiangmez; 30th April 2013 at 02:43 AM.)
Thanks Meter 6
Thanks! I ll try this
Sent from my XT910 using xda app-developers app

MichelBFR
Old
Thanks Meter 77
Very good!

I'll try ASAP.

Thanks!
Sony Xperia ZQ (Brazil) - Stock 4.3

gskelter
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Wow thanks a lot!! Im trying, hope it works

Enviado desde mi XT910 usando Tapatalk 2

MichelBFR
Old
(Last edited by MichelBFR; 30th April 2013 at 04:23 AM.)
Thanks Meter 77
Well, I'm trying to apply the root on my Razr Maxx, but idk I did something wrong. The process seems to be frozen after the usb connection verification.

Edit: I found the problem. The Virtual Box isn't recognizing the Razr at the USB port. Apparently, the system is conflicting with another request in the same device.

Edit2: OMG!!! Rooted the phone in 30 seconds!

After all the process:

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MichelBFR For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

gskelter
Old
Thanks Meter 3
dumb question what is smb?

MichelBFR
Old
Thanks Meter 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by gskelter View Post
dumb question what is smb?
Remote sharing. You need to configure your device with the same information that the Virtual Box will give to you.

The Following User Says Thank You to MichelBFR For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

romdroid.
Old
(Last edited by romdroid.; 30th April 2013 at 05:00 AM.)
Thanks Meter 194
Good find mate

Sent from my MZ601 using XDA Premium HD app
Samsung Galaxy Note II 4G - Stock JB rooted