Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Can Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 LTE version be rooted?

OP ddyeakley

17th March 2014, 08:53 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

19 posts
I pulled the trigger on a Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2. $849 unlocked. I wanted a option for LTE if I needed it. Thought the Snapdragon 800 might offer better performance/seems that is a unknown... Also heard faster charging. I saw a comment in another thread the Verizon locks boot loaders. Does anyone know if I will be able to root this device? How can i determine if the bootloader is locked?
Last edited by ddyeakley; 17th March 2014 at 09:15 PM.
17th March 2014, 09:43 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 12

96 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddyeakley

I pulled the trigger on a Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2. $849 unlocked. I wanted a option for LTE if I needed it. Thought the Snapdragon 800 might offer better performance/seems that is a unknown... Also heard faster charging. I saw a comment in another thread the Verizon locks boot loaders. Does anyone know if I will be able to root this device? How can i determine if the bootloader is locked?

Looking for this too, I tried using the Chainfire autoroot for the P905 but it seems it doesn't work for our model, the P905V.
17th March 2014, 10:35 PM   |  #3  
Flag Holland, PA/Lake Ariel, PA
Thanks Meter: 335

950 posts
More
No it will not work. I think this may be tough with a locked bootloader. Chainfire supports CF Autoroot but I believe he is away for the next few weeks. Not sure if he will be able to get it working on the Verizon LTE version but right now, there is no way to root that.

Also, as far as performance, there is really no difference from what I have read. If anything, the 905 *may* be slower due to LTE. What I can say is that the Snapdragon processor will charge faster than the Exynos in the P900.

If you REALLY need root, return the 905V and get a 900. I just tether mine to my HTC one when away from home or a hot spot. You'll also save more than 100 bucks. Verizon is making it very difficult to root with their locked bootloaders and I don't expect these will be in high demand so support from the Dev's may be slim.

Just my .02

I think we will be seeing TWRP support for the P900 in the next day or so. That should help open the door to custom rom's but I expect they are still a month or more away at this point.
Last edited by Mike02z; 17th March 2014 at 10:42 PM.
27th March 2014, 07:30 AM   |  #4  
I pulled the trigger on the 12.2 too, deciding on keeping it. Also ended up getting a 10.1 2014 for the SO....but mine is 12.2.But Verizon is just icky, lol, then the locked bootloaders, lack of support, then throw in lack of support from the devs due to very few devices etc...

I hope this can be rooted.
28th March 2014, 07:15 AM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 1

8 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTboy404

I pulled the trigger on the 12.2 too, deciding on keeping it. Also ended up getting a 10.1 2014 for the SO....but mine is 12.2.But Verizon is just icky, lol, then the locked bootloaders, lack of support, then throw in lack of support from the devs due to very few devices etc...

I hope this can be rooted.

I'm currently testing the Verizon and the WIFI only models. The Verizon version is definitely smoother, especially when it comes to speed of opening web pages and browsing ( with both on WIFI). The Qualcomm processor in the Verizon version is definitely putting the Exynos processor in the WIFI only version to shame.

Unfortunately, if the Verizon version cannot be rooted I just may have to return it and get the more expensive unlocked international LTE version, just for the superior Qualcomm processor.
28th March 2014, 08:19 AM   |  #6  
Is it 100% positive that verizon p905v cant be rooted? The recharging time and smoothness as well as battery life has made me an extremely happy camper for the LTE model. Somebody said chain fire was on holiday for month or so. I'm wondering what we can do to have information for him or anyone else to try and root.

Sent from my SM-P905V using xda app-developers app
28th March 2014, 09:59 AM   |  #7  
Edit my mistake i didn't see the Verizon at the beginning

Mega
1st April 2014, 11:35 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 2

6 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aburns7487

Is it 100% positive that verizon p905v cant be rooted? The recharging time and smoothness as well as battery life has made me an extremely happy camper for the LTE model. Somebody said chain fire was on holiday for month or so. I'm wondering what we can do to have information for him or anyone else to try and root.

Sent from my SM-P905V using xda app-developers app

Chainfire seems to have returned as shown by his recent posts in the central CF-Autoroot thread. Could you go post there again for us? I would but my post count is still low
25th April 2014, 02:23 AM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 0

3 posts
Question Unlonking Bootloader - SM-P905V Verizon no contract
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilthyHippie

Chainfire seems to have returned as shown by his recent posts in the central CF-Autoroot thread. Could you go post there again for us? I would but my post count is still low

How to rooting this tablet version verizon?? >> SM-P905V. I need change firmware for other country (Brazil), but Odin have a problem with block mode verizon. I bought in amazon site, no contract verizon. LTE is ok in Brazil ... I want OEM firmware in my tablet, not verizon firmware! someone could help me where to get an unlock for SM-P905v?
21st May 2014, 09:06 PM   |  #10  
Flag Appleton, WI
Thanks Meter: 6

73 posts
30 Days
Don't they have to release the firmware within 30 days? Perhaps we need to take this up with Samsung?

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread