[GUIDE] AOSPify L5ii(E460)
Unfortunately for us holders of the L5ii, Mediatek seldom release any sources. Because of this, it's extremely difficult -if not impossible- to create custom kernels for our devices. This also means we cannot install custom recoveries and installing a custom ROM is almost incredibly difficult and time consuming. I've created a work around that'll give an AOSP feel for the mean time. I've basically been decompiling and modifying the system apks, and it's been doing the job nicely. Let's jump in.
This is still very much a work in progress, as there are a lot of files to edit. Patience is a virtue
LG L5ii(I've only tested it on the E460, so I'm not sure if it'll work on other models. Feel free to try)
Root Access + Superuser
Root-Capable File Manager (I use Root Explorer but any should work)
Optional - Titanium Backup Pro
You have read through the whole thread, including the instructions, before following them.
I am not responsible for breaking/damaging/bricking your device. You are changing system files, and any files you change, you are solely responsible for. Proceed with caution.
This is a fairly simple install.
1. Make a full backup of your phone's internal storage. All of it. Just in case something goes wrong.
2. Download and extract the .zip file attached to this thread.
3. Copy the 'system' folder onto your SD card, and then to the root of your phone's storage. Grant root access to your file manager if it is requested. It may also ask to re-mount the partition, click okay if it does.
4. Reboot your phone. When it boots up, it should say something along the lines of "Android is upgrading". Wait for it to boot, and the changes should have been made.
I'd also recommend installing the Google Keyboard, and an AOSP-based launcher such as Nova Launcher or Holo Launcher. Convert these to System Apps using Titanium BackUp. You may also wish to delete the 'old' system apps from your phone. At the moment, I've found it is safe to delete
"CameraApp3.apk", "Gallerybin.apk" and
(They're too big to attach, so I have to wait till I can post external links) "Calculatorbin.apk" as AOSP equivalents are included. If you install the Google Keyboard and alternative launcher and have them set as System Apps, I've found it's also safe to delete "LGEIMEbin.apk" and "LGHome3a.apk". Though, make sure you set them as their respective defaults before hand. This is especially vital for Google Keyboard.
5. Reboot once more, just to be sure that everything sets in. Then, you're done.
What's Currently Changed:
Status Bar and parts of it's 'expanded' state
'Google Play Edition' boot animation
Sun Beam/Phase Beam live wallpapers
What's Currently Being Done:
Other parts of the status bar + 'expanded' state
What's Planned to be Changed:
Dialer + Contacts
Anything else that I'm capable of changing/AOSPifying