Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,810,255 Members 52,701 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Who will stay with Moto after the Ultra/Maxx/Mini?

Tip us?

bwheelies
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 75
Default Who will stay with Moto after the Ultra/Maxx/Mini?

My last two phones have been Motorola. Functionally speaking they are pretty good and my Maxx has been the most solid phone I have owned. There is a fly in the ointment though. The back cover on multiple phones which have been replaced all creak and squeak after a few months of ownership.

For this reason I am sitting tight until the next ultimate handset comes out that can functionally one-up this phone. One that is built solid but light and has the big battery or super efficient tech to go for days like the Maxx does.

Sent from my XT1080 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Metfanant
Old
Thanks Meter 133
I too have a "creaking" back cover...specifically up by the power button/volume rocker...

That being said...I was always a big Moto fan..and then switched because I HAD to have the Galaxy S3 when it dropped...and that was the WORST cell phone related mistake of my life..

I couldn't wait to dump that thing and get back to Moto...I just hope that they decide to continue the Droid line along with the X line...

I am almost 100% sure that my next phone will be a Motorola...

sent from my Droid Maxx

ws6formula350
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Droid 2, Droid 4, Droid MAXX. They've all been tanks. I had two Droid 4s that both got wet and they both pulled through until months later... Hardware wise and build quality wise I have no complaints.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

335Deezl
Old
Thanks Meter 11
I have had several Motorolas: the droid 1 a855, Droid Razr Maxx, and now the Droid Maxx. I loved the root-ability of the first two, although the Droid Razr Maxx was a beeatch. Now that I'm on the latest droid Maxx, it really sucks that it can't be rooted, at least since that chinese guy got caught, and I'm stuck with a slower-than-it-should-be device, which I cannot customize. I will only stick with Motorola if they don't lock the bootloader on the next one, but I doubt that will happen. Looks like I will get a nexus next.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using XDA Premium HD app

destes37
Old
Thanks Meter 18
Moto for life...

doogald
Old
Thanks Meter 313
It's way too early for me to tell. I'll see what's available at upgrade time and decide then. This phone will be great until then.

2THEXTRM
Old
Thanks Meter 5
I've had over a dozen Moto phones starting with the original brick and almost every flagship phone since then. I've strayed a couple times in the last 20 years and quickly came back.

I'll stay with my flagship Moto Dev's unless Lenovo messes with the built like a tank phones that we have enjoyed. If I can't drop it in a pool or river(true stories), dry it out and use it the next day, I don't want it lol.

Sent from my XT1080 using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2

pbaldw10
Old
Thanks Meter 4
I just want to get out from under Verizon. That being said the functionality of these phones is awesome. So unless Google uses these new features in the next Nexus i'm jumping to the new Moto X on AT&T or the One from One plus.

Sent from my XT1080 using XDA Free mobile app

reggie14
Old
Thanks Meter 10
I'm not expecting to stick with Motorola, but I'm not necessarily opposed to it. I've been relatively happy with my Maxx- battery life has been far better than any other phone I've had (particularly coming from a Galaxy Nexus), which is really what drove me to the Maxx instead of the HTC One.

It seems like battery life of other phones is improving, taking away the primary distinguishing factor that brought me to Motorola. I haven't been completely happy with the performance of some apps on the Maxx, and the screen resolution could use a bump, so I'm going to prioritize those things a little higher next time around.

I'm really interested in seeing what happens with the Android Silver program. It would be tough for me to move off Verizon. Assuming Verizon participates in Android Silver, that's probably the closest thing Verizon users will get to a Nexus-like experience.

ratman6161
Old
(Last edited by ratman6161; 16th May 2014 at 05:46 PM.)
Thanks Meter 71
Thumbs up There is a new phone out every other week....

...from some company or other. So there is no way to tell what will be the best price vs performance choice a year and a half from now when my contract expires again.

I have to say thought that even though I have had root on previous Android Phones (Droid 1 and Droid 3) I don't really miss it on my Max. The biggest reason I wanted it on previous phones was to get rid of all the crap that I never used. But with the Maxx it seems like there is 1. less crap to begin with and 2. A lot of it can be disabled (including a lot of the verizon stuff) using the regular android settings menu. So I'm not particularly missing root on this phone.

On my Droid 1, late in its life I did start messing with custom roms just for fun. Funny thing is that I still have that Droid 1 sitting here on my desk running Cyanogen Mod 7.2 (think its .2 - don't remember for sure). It doesnt have cellular access anymore but it still works around the house as a WiFi only device.

PS: I was not sorry to see the Droid 3 go away. That one never lived up to my hopes for it. I liked the form factor and I do sometimes miss the physical keyboard but the CPU always seemed slow and I almost immediately regretted getting a 3G device rather than holding out a bit longer for a 4G phone.

Android L Will Have Data Encryption Turned On by Default

Android L, once it is eventually released, will featuredata encryption turned on by … more

Lock Apps and Functions Easily with Droid Protector

Access and security are some of the key issues facingmobile technology. Whether … more

ARChon Lets You Run Android Apps in Google Chrome Browser

Not too long ago, Google added the ability torun select Android applications on … more

Flyme OS Finds Its Way to the Google Nexus 5

Flyme OS is a heavily modified Android variantdeveloped by the Meizu team for their MX … more