FORUMS

next official update???

202 posts
Thanks Meter: 12

By EFCLEE, Senior Member on 29th March 2014, 10:02 PM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
As title says....does anyone have any info on this or is it still pie in the sky

31st March 2014, 03:14 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 96

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by EFCLEE

As title says....does anyone have any info on this or is it still pie in the sky

April seems like a time for us. Could be as late as the end of the month.

I may keep my 4.2.2 as I have it the way I like it. Bug free and clean.
16th April 2014, 01:54 AM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 12

More
Annoying the hell out of me checking for an update daily.....

If anyone has info please let me know, looking forward to unleashing notifications on my gear

Thanks

Lee

Sent from my GT-N5120 using xda app-developers app
17th April 2014, 12:59 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 180

More
Good rule of thumb here, regarding his topic: if you have to ask, the answer is no. Believe me, as soon as any information is known, somebody will make a thread about it. But generally speaking, if all you see are threads about "when are we getting KK," the implication is that the answer is unknown. For the record, there is one thread regarding this in the Q&A section, and two threads in the General section, all on the front page.
17th April 2014, 02:44 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
What exactly does KK have that is so important? I really don't see why people are so worried about this update coming out. Will the experience of using the note 8.0 be dramatically different on 4.4? Someone please fill me in.
17th April 2014, 03:48 AM |#6  
Brooklyn NY
Thanks Meter: 52

More
Me myself I'm not that anxious for it. But people like the OP would like to pair it with Gear devices.
17th April 2014, 06:03 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 41

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by commodorefork

What exactly does KK have that is so important? I really don't see why people are so worried about this update coming out. Will the experience of using the note 8.0 be dramatically different on 4.4? Someone please fill me in.

It's not KK as much as it is some issues that I have running 4.1.2 on my AT&T variant. I still get the screen freeze bug which annoys me to no end. So yeah, I would like the upgrade so I don't have to deal with things that should've been working outside of the box.
17th April 2014, 11:55 PM |#8  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by commodorefork

Unless you want compatibility with Gear (which is not guaranteed) or think that 4.4.2 will fix some bug that's present in your current setup, the answer is that there is nothing substantially different. I am running official 4.4.2 on my Galaxy S4. Outside of the information bar icon color scheme and the fact that most apps can no longer access the SD card, nothing is better, faster, etc. It looks, feels, and performs exactly the same.
18th April 2014, 03:12 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnik767

Unless you want compatibility with Gear (which is not guaranteed) or think that 4.4.2 will fix some bug that's present in your current setup, the answer is that there is nothing substantially different. I am running official 4.4.2 on my Galaxy S4. Outside of the information bar icon color scheme and the fact that most apps can no longer access the SD card, nothing is better, faster, etc. It looks, feels, and performs exactly the same.

I guess I'm fortunate that I don't know what Gear is.

The only bug I'm having on 4.2.2 is the multi-window button disappearing sometimes even when the feature is turned on. Besides that, everything is working smoothly.
18th April 2014, 06:09 PM |#10  
Flag HYDERABAD
Thanks Meter: 599

More
The new update is important for
1. Trim is included in 4.3 onwards..makes your tab faster
2. Air command for s pen ...unleashes the power of the s pen
3. Less ram consumption and faster on kit kat
4. Blue tooth LE. ..faster and lower battery consumption
5. New flatter icons and UI....consume less system space....faster device
6. Support for gear devices

The cons...
1. Knox bootloader
2. Sd card read and write issues

Both these cons can be solved by rooting and Dev help on xda

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Tapatalk 2
The Following User Says Thank You to pakure For This Useful Post: [ View ]
18th April 2014, 06:19 PM |#11  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pakure

The new update is important for
1. Trim is included in 4.3 onwards..makes your tab faster

You would think so, but I haven't noticed any changes. Perhaps Samsung is not implementing it.

Quote:

2. Air command for s pen ...unleashes the power of the s pen

There has not been any indication that we would get this feature. Chances are, we will not. If the Note 2 gets it, then perhaps, but if not, we're not getting it for sure. As far as I know, the Note 2 does not currently have Air Command.
Quote:

3. Less ram consumption and faster on kit kat

While the first part is true, the latter is not. And Samsung is not including ART in their ROM as well.

Quote:

4. Blue tooth LE. ..faster and lower battery consumption

Sure, but the bluetooth device would have to support it as well AFIK. In addition, we don't know if the bluetooth radio in our tabs is actually even capable of low energy. Since the hardware in our device is relatively old, it may not be capable and therefore not support Galaxy Gear. Looking at the Galaxy Gear info page, the Note 2 is not listed as being supported. Rumors say that Gear support is coming to the Note 2.

Quote:

5. New flatter icons and UI....consume less system space....faster device

Maybe for stock Android, but TouchWiz is not changing.

Quote:

6. Support for gear devices

Maybe. See above for bluetooth LE

Quote:

The cons...
1. Knox bootloader
2. Sd card read and write issues

Both these cons can be solved by rooting and Dev help on xda

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Tapatalk 2

1. Maybe
2. Yes. Android 4.4.2 blocks 3rd party app access to the SD card. Easily fixed, but needs root like you said.

In summary, everything that everyone is hoping the get with the update will likely not happen, either due to hardware incompatibility or Samsung's unwillingness. Chances are, this update will be just like the update for the S4...updated status bar color scheme, a little better UI for multiwindow, and a version number bump.
Last edited by sputnik767; 18th April 2014 at 06:41 PM.

Read More
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread