Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,804,955 Members 52,886 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q]VS980 SIM Lock?

Tip us?

honentan
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Default [Q]VS980 SIM Lock?

I just bought a used VS980. I don't use a Verizon's CDMA UIM card. GSM SIM card inserted it can work, but the non-Verizon CDMA card inserted it shows "no service". Is it locked by Verizon? Dialing enter the code "2945#*980#", the phone displays "Connection problem or invalid MMI code", so even if I get an unlock code, how should I input the code?

manojsuper
Old
Thanks Meter 46

DONATE TO ME
Put in another carrier sim and the phone will prompt for a unlock code.

Sent from my LG-D800 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
As always, "Thank You, Come Again".

---------------------------------------------------

Devices:
Samsung Captivate
HTC Aria
Zune HD

"Buy me a drink"

Donate:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/websc...if%3aNonHosted

honentan
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by manojsuper View Post
Put in another carrier sim and the phone will prompt for a unlock code.

Sent from my LG-D800 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
If insert another carrier GSM sim, it works fine. But insert another carrier CDMA uim, the phone just says "no service", and doesn't prompt for any code.

XanoZuke
Old
Thanks Meter 9

DONATE TO ME
This phone does not work with CDMA sim cards.

Sent from my LG G2 using xda app-developers app

droid_<3er
Old
Thanks Meter 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by honentan View Post
If insert another carrier GSM sim, it works fine. But insert another carrier CDMA uim, the phone just says "no service", and doesn't prompt for any code.
Quite sure that the point of CDMA is that you can't use any other carrier's CDMA sim...

You're thinking of GSM. You can use pretty much all GSM sims in the VS980 because 4G Verizon phones come as "World Phones". No phone can handle CDMA cards from different carriers.
Phone: Nexus 5 32GB White | Android L Preview

My Rig: NZXT H440 | Xeon E3-1230V2 @ 3.5 GHz | Z77 Extreme3 | NH-U9B | 8GB DDR3-1600 C11 | R9 280X Vapor-X | 240GB SSD 530 | 1TB WD Blue | XFX TS550 | Win 8.1 Pro | Samsung T240HD

Before you post about a question that's been answered one million times just because you feel that people of XDA are responsible for fixing your phone, please take the time to read this post.

antinorm
Old
Thanks Meter 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by XanoZuke View Post
This phone does not work with CDMA sim cards.

There's no such thing as a CDMA sim card. LTE uses sim cards, which is why the VS980 has a sim card slot.

XanoZuke
Old
Thanks Meter 9

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinorm View Post
There's no such thing as a CDMA sim card. LTE uses sim cards, which is why the VS980 has a sim card slot.
There are some carriers outside of US that use CDMA/LTE sim cards, they are used to register on both networks, much like GSM but use CDMA access.

honentan
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by droid_<3er View Post
Quite sure that the point of CDMA is that you can't use any other carrier's CDMA sim...

You're thinking of GSM. You can use pretty much all GSM sims in the VS980 because 4G Verizon phones come as "World Phones". No phone can handle CDMA cards from different carriers.
My friend owned another vs980. And, ChinaTelecom CDMA uim card works fine on his phone. I think that my phone was locked of some type simlock by Verizon.

droid_<3er
Old
Thanks Meter 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by honentan View Post
My friend owned another vs980. And, ChinaTelecom CDMA uim card works fine on his phone. I think that my phone was locked of some type simlock by Verizon.
Maybe your sim just happens to be incompatible. Try another sim, possibly from a different carrier? Because any non-Verizon CDMA isn't supposed to work on this phone.
Phone: Nexus 5 32GB White | Android L Preview

My Rig: NZXT H440 | Xeon E3-1230V2 @ 3.5 GHz | Z77 Extreme3 | NH-U9B | 8GB DDR3-1600 C11 | R9 280X Vapor-X | 240GB SSD 530 | 1TB WD Blue | XFX TS550 | Win 8.1 Pro | Samsung T240HD

Before you post about a question that's been answered one million times just because you feel that people of XDA are responsible for fixing your phone, please take the time to read this post.

honentan
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Default Contact

It seems a contract device of Verizon, so it was been locked by Verizon. It can not be unlocked right now!

Tags
sim locked, vs980