Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,812,470 Members 40,587 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] 1800MHz LTE Band

Tip us?

levilib
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Default [Q] 1800MHz LTE Band

This phone is the first phone Verizon is selling (except the iPhones) that has the 1800MHz LTE Band (band 3).
When I saw this I was particularly excited as I visit Australia often and that's the band Telstra uses. I am currently in Australia now, and I am unable to pick up any LTE on this phone. I have gone through every possible mode in the phoneinfo app, but none will get any LTE signal.
I am using a Telstra SIM that has LTE service and I put in the correct APN settings.

The only possible explanation that comes to mind is that Verizon is blocking the 1800MHz LTE band from being used, just like the S4 came with AWS but only a software update pushed later on was able to unlock that band. If that were the case, is there any way around it?

Any other ideas why it's not working?
Verizon HTC One (M8)
Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4 (SCH-I545)

levilib
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
I tested my SIM in the same location in a iPhone and it got lte

Sent from my HTC One M8 using Tapatalk
Verizon HTC One (M8)
Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4 (SCH-I545)

IndiaBhai
Old
Thanks Meter 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by levilib View Post
This phone is the first phone Verizon is selling (except the iPhones) that has the 1800MHz LTE Band (band 3).
When I saw this I was particularly excited as I visit Australia often and that's the band Telstra uses. I am currently in Australia now, and I am unable to pick up any LTE on this phone. I have gone through every possible mode in the phoneinfo app, but none will get any LTE signal.
I am using a Telstra SIM that has LTE service and I put in the correct APN settings.

The only possible explanation that comes to mind is that Verizon is blocking the 1800MHz LTE band from being used, just like the S4 came with AWS but only a software update pushed later on was able to unlock that band. If that were the case, is there any way around it?

Any other ideas why it's not working?
Bit of a necro-post, but I asked both HTC and Verizon associates and they said that it should work...so don't know if some bad information has been passed my way or GSM/LTE is just being funky (I do remember reading that has been, or was, a problem)