FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

LG Fathom VS750 Android development

435 posts
Thanks Meter: 72

By einsteinecker, Senior Member on 11th October 2012, 06:22 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Well, since our old thread was locked, and since I'm continuing the development, the new thread is here. Many thanks to ajeet17181 for giving me the final piece of the puzzle to resume the work.

I am continuing ajeet17181's work on bringing a working Android build to our Windows Mobile phone, the LG Fathom. As of this moment I am only working on the Kernel, where most of the fixes need to be worked on, so let's get to it, shall we?

Download any of the following Android versions:
Gingerbread 2.3.7 (includes Kernel build #119)
DOWNLOAD "einsteinecker_android.rar" (thanks to pizzaboy192 for hosting)
alternate link (untested upload)

What works:
-3G data
-Wifi
-Limited Bluetooth functionality
-Video playback
-3D gaming
-Accelerometer
-Outgoing calls

What doesn't work:
-Camera
-Incoming calls
-SMS
-Vibrator
-Light sensor
-USB
-SD card has a low chance of being mounted.
-
Latest Cyanogenmod Nov 26, 2012
Cyanogenmod with working audio fix, updated link August 28 2013:
Part 1
Part 2
(split into 2 parts because my internet kept cutting it off)

Dead link

Thanks to www2287. Read this post for more info.
-

In some cases, the usual Google apps aren't built into the rom. Read this or this on how to get them.

-
Unsupported Android builds
ajeet's LG Fathom Gingerbread 2.3.7
Download here

What works:
-3G internet!
-Accelerometer!
-Wifi
-Real USB support.
-Outgoing calls

What doesn't work:
-D-pad is not aligned correctly.
-Cannot power off from shutdown menu.
-Incredible power drain. This is caused by the phone remaining at a high mhz without any way to fix it. Even if you use SetCPU to change the governor, the voltage looks like it remains the same so power drains even at 245mhz!
-No multimedia. And by that I mean no gaming for you, anything 3D is not even enabled on the kernel.
-No camera
-No SMS
-Cannot receive calls
-No light sensor
-No vibrator

Cyanogen Mod
Download here (link thanks to Giorgi-geo)
-
Cyanogen March 2012 build
Download here. from www2287. This build is not a final build, that means many things are broken in it.
-
Android 2.2 Froyo
Download here (NOTE: Due to Froyo not working in some areas, I will not provide support for it)

-
LATEST KERNEL: (March 14 2013)

ReRun March 13 2013: New compiling method to fix several bugs. Read this post for more info.

Previous Kernel:
Rerun kernel build #120

Rerun kernel build #119 (This kernel is a restart of my previous work. I basically started over from scratch and compiled it well over 100 times to find an acceptable solution to the battery issue.)

(Can't type the "." symbol? Download this.)

Kernel source:
https://github.com/ajeet17181/fathom-kernel Note: this source is broken, and since I have heavily modified it, wait for me to upload full source someday.
Booting Android
-Now, to use it with one of the above Android versions, first extract the android version into your MicroSD card (You must have at least 750MB free space on your card), and then copy the 3 files inside the kernel archive into the Android folder, overwriting any older files. Next, open startup.txt and make sure the line "rel_path=fathom" has the name of the Android folder in your microSD card, if the folder is "2.2", change "fathom" to 2.2.

-Same as usual, run clrcad.exe about 5 times, then click on "haret" .exe file. The kernel will take a while to boot, so let it sit.
Preparing your phone to enable 3G internet on Android
Now that you have the ROM, you will need to edit your phone to enable 3G internet. Download this: http://www.mediafire.com/?azm89r85x6k2hhz (link thanks to da_reeseboy here.)

Please read the .txt inside the LGNPST archive on how to install. I can't help in that regard as I too funked my install until I undid everything and followed the txt file

After you set that up, download this: https://rapidshare.com/files/606560282/Clipboard01.zip, Or the the texty no frills way:

In windows mobile, change Fathom's USB mode to VZaccess manager mode. Open LGNPST and connect your Fathom. Go to "phone setting" and change default phone mode to GSM, and change the APN setting to the one your carrier uses.

I must warn that Android will attempt to connect when it boots, so be sure you have either an unlimited data plan or make sure you won't be charged if you use prepaid.
Current developments: Next phase of development will focus on the phone side (calls, sms, data). Because I am in a GSM country, I will be focusing on that.

Note: I am quite a busy person, and I won't be updating everyday, at the moment I have a grave matter to handle, and it is my 1TB hard drive. It has corrupt sectors, and it needs to be replaced. It holds crucial XDA data on it, so it is important to me. At the moment I can't afford a new one, so any donations is greatly appreciated in helping me remedy that problem. You can read more about my Hard Drive here.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to einsteinecker For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift einsteinecker Ad-Free

11th October 2012, 06:27 AM |#2  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Changelog
Latest Kernel:
March 14 2013
ReRun New Compile
This kernel was compiled differently than previous kernels, intended to join together the incompatible drivers with the rest of the drivers. This fixed several problems. Read here for more info.
-
November 23, 2012
ReRun kernel build 119
This kernel was restarted from the beginning, and slowly configured to the point where I found a solution to the "connect charger" error on boot. Basically, the kernel source had conflicting power settings combined from the HD2 and Tsunagi sources, and I simply removed the HD2 battery settings and provided a new working source code for the battery. I expect to use this as a base as I further eliminate the invalid .32 codes and replace it with .35 sources.
-
einstein 4x1 (NOTE: read any "readme.txt" files for instructions!!)
-Now, phone will no longer reboot when booting into android. You must make sure your battery level is over 26% in order to avoid this Reboot of Death bug, as it seems like the current build will reset if Android is in a mode where it will warn you to connect your charger. Perhaps we can change Android's low battery notification?
-NVRAM now pointed to /system/etc/wifi/, be sure to root copy the nvram.txt file into the new location.
-(for my modified Gingerbread build) attached are the correct key layouts for the Fathom hardware keyboard (thanks to www2287

Extreme Battery 003
-Re-started kernel development to ensure junk drivers were no longer included. This led to working Wifi, partial bluetooth, fully working headphone support, accelerometer, and as before, no immense power drain on standby. Overnight standby now a reality with Kernel 003!

Extreme Battery 002
Fixes:
-Wifi for Froyo, Bluetooth for Gingerbread
-Accelerometer works for Gingerbread only
-Headphones now work without fail
-Need more feedback regarding resetting while phone is on or off

Extreme Battery 001
Features:
-More CPU governors
-Overclock enabled (use at your own risk!)
-Extreme battery saving (need confirmation, my battery only dropped 2% overnight!)

Working:
-Main speaker
-Phone earpiece
-d-pad now aligned properly
-No more torn screen on the left side!
-Real power-down! Power button is the task manager button beside the camera button. Press this to turn your phone on or off.

Not working:
-Same as before, no outgoing SMS
-Wifi is dead
-Camera not working
-Never tried GPS...
-When headphones are plugged in, sound dies globally in Android.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to einsteinecker For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift einsteinecker Ad-Free
11th October 2012, 06:29 AM |#3  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Frequently Asked Questions
Where's my microSD card?
It seems strange, but this way worked for me: before you boot into Android, remove the sd card from your phone, then insert it, and then immediately boot into Android. If you did not do this when booting Android for the first time, do this method.

I'm low on storage space.
In "startup.txt", change "data_size=256" to "data_size=512" for 512MB of storage space. If you want more, change 512 to 1024 or 2048 for 1GB / 2GB respectively. Make sure you have that much free space on your MicroSD before you continue!

Can't start Froyo 2.2?
When you see the system process error, immediately press the side button beside the camera, then choose wait, then hold side button, then select power off, and the phone should look like it's booting again, and it should go into Froyo. If it doesn't, repeat again.

Can't boot into Gingerbread 2.3?
Due to a fault in ajeet's battery driver, the OS does not know what the battery life is at boot, and it thinks the battery is dead. Solution? Just make sure you have at least 70% or higher battery life when you boot into Android. I will try to focus on this, but as of the moment, I have not had much success in porting drivers into the kernel, as it is a rather complicated process and it has to be done in a way that will not break the wifi again. (This issue has been fixed in ReRun kernel build 119)
11th October 2012, 06:47 AM |#4  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Reserved
11th October 2012, 07:45 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 31

More
Awesome that we have someone working on this again. Slightly curious how hard it would be to port this work over to OpenWebOS... But I'll love to see where Android goes. I'd try using it if the CDMA radio worked.
11th October 2012, 07:55 AM |#6  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzaboy192

Awesome that we have someone working on this again. Slightly curious how hard it would be to port this work over to OpenWebOS... But I'll love to see where Android goes. I'd try using it if the CDMA radio worked.

I'm optimistic CDMA would work, that unfortunately might need to have the Android OS edited to support dual mode CDMA/GSM. A nice place to start would be the Android builds for the Touch Pro2.
The Following User Says Thank You to einsteinecker For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift einsteinecker Ad-Free
11th October 2012, 03:51 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 31

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by einsteinecker

I'm optimistic CDMA would work, that unfortunately might need to have the Android OS edited to support dual mode CDMA/GSM. A nice place to start would be the Android builds for the Touch Pro2.

We should also see what other Android-only devices used the same modems. The Droid series usually were world devices, as were a few others (none off the top of my head, but I bet they're pretty easy to find)
Worst case scenario would be to compile two different Android versions that are either CDMA only or GSM only.
I've got 3 Fathoms to test on, and would be more than willing to sell my unlocked one to someone who could use it better than I could (it's currently de-activated and I don't have a GSM SIM to test.
12th October 2012, 04:44 PM |#8  
Flag Tbilisi
Thanks Meter: 14

More
Thumbs up
nice! thanks for your work einsteinecker
12th October 2012, 10:44 PM |#9  
Flag Tbilisi

More
so here's my problem. i did everything as said. HTC logo comes on and that's it. i waited for 40+ minutes for it to load but nothing
edit: never mind. On the third try it loaded correctly

---------- Post added at 09:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:00 PM ----------

Quote:

-No more torn screen on the left side!
-Real power-down! Power button is the task manager button beside the camera button. Press this to turn your phone on or off.

love you. please fix wi-fi soon )

---------- Post added at 09:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:38 PM ----------

i was using 2.3.1 android before this. now i installed 2.2 and the difference in performance is huge. 2.2 is much faster and smoother on our device. can you tell me what is the key difference between 2.3.1 and 2.2? if there is none I think it will be better to have 2.2
forget this too. looks like both build work better with your help )
13th October 2012, 12:47 AM |#10  
Flag Tbilisi

More
Also. when in android, and i connect USB and transfer some files onto sdcard. they dont show up in file manager until reboot, and sometimes they just disappear. this is happening since first ajeet build - not a new problem, but maybe you could look into it.

---------- Post added at 02:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:36 AM ----------

Quote:

Not working:
-Same as before, no outgoing SMS
-Wifi is dead
-Camera not working
-Never tried GPS...
-When headphones are plugged in, sound dies globally in Android.

bluetooth also does not work )
13th October 2012, 04:48 AM |#11  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Sorry folks, I meant to update yesterday but I had a mind crushing headache

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzaboy192

We should also see what other Android-only devices used the same modems. The Droid series usually were world devices, as were a few others (none off the top of my head, but I bet they're pretty easy to find)
Worst case scenario would be to compile two different Android versions that are either CDMA only or GSM only.

I recall most Droids from Motorola have the OMAP cpu, so I'm not sure if using the code for that would work on our Qualcomm stuff (I believe LG used a Qualcomm reference guide for the Fathom). I figured checking Qualcomm's sources first is a good try.

Quote:

I've got 3 Fathoms to test on, and would be more than willing to sell my unlocked one to someone who could use it better than I could (it's currently de-activated and I don't have a GSM SIM to test.

I've been interested in something. How is android on the newer updates? What I mean is that, I'm still running stock V4 Windows Mobile ROM on my Fathom, and there is no performance lock like on the HTC HD2 (full 1Ghz on battery). Does the V5 or V7 WM Roms have this too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giorgi-geo

i was using 2.3.1 android before this. now i installed 2.2 and the difference in performance is huge. 2.2 is much faster and smoother on our device. can you tell me what is the key difference between 2.3.1 and 2.2? if there is none I think it will be better to have 2.2

forget this too. looks like both build work better with your help )

One main difference I see between 2.2 and 2.3, is that 2.3 rotates the screen immediately after you slide out the keyboard. 2.2 will only rotate once you open a program.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giorgi-geo

Also. when in android, and i connect USB and transfer some files onto sdcard. they dont show up in file manager until reboot, and sometimes they just disappear. this is happening since first ajeet build - not a new problem, but maybe you could look into it.

If you read the readme text file inside the 2.2 Android build, you'll see it's a problem of the OS:

"- USB Mass Storage (You can copy files from PC to PC. But Android apps cannot see the copied files in the phone before rebooting.)"

I think that is because we run Android from our SD card.

Quote:

bluetooth also does not work )

Thanks for the feedback. I was going to upload the headphone fix yesterday, but maybe I'll try that bluetooth fix too.
The Following User Says Thank You to einsteinecker For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift einsteinecker Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)