Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,736,958 Members 51,819 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Alternative Launcher

Tip us?

JJ-KwiK
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 43
Default [Q] Alternative Launcher

I'm asking this question, because I'm curious. I'm currently waiting on my Fire TV to show up in the mail, but I've been thinking about what I want to try.

I've read that you can use a launcher, however it won't set to default.

Have any of you tried the following:
-Install AutoPilot
-Install whatever launcher you'd like
-Get AutoPilot to auto-launch the launcher of choice?

I know it's probably not the best alternative, but I thought it might be worth a try.

I'm sure there's tons of holes in my logic, but it's early and I'm tired. lol

pbcal
Old
Thanks Meter 36

DONATE TO ME
This will work. But the problem is you be back to Fire TV launcher if you press home button.
I got Llame rules to launch back the custom launcher. Credit goes to user from XBMC forum for the idea.
https://copy.com?r=EBpjEp
The Following User Says Thank You to pbcal For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Esso1001
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Wow i need to try this..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pbcal
Old
(Last edited by pbcal; 17th April 2014 at 03:31 PM.)
Thanks Meter 36

DONATE TO ME
Well, I tried different launchers and here is my what I found.

Not all launchers are made for non touch screen device like Fire TV.

RUI Launcher for TV - Made for TV, but it does not show-up very well in Fire TV. Same thing with most of the Launchers like Nova, Go, ADW.

TV Box Launcher - Could be the best launcher for Fire Tv, but there is no way to launch it. It can be only launch by making it default launcher and pressing the home button. Its not possible for Fire TV at this moment.

TVLauncher - This is what I am using right now. It does not allow to add more than 2 shortcut on home screen without paying for full version through in-app purchase, which is again not possible in Fire TV. But it will show all apps listing by pressing right button on remote.

I will continue to try more to see if I can find anything better.
https://copy.com?r=EBpjEp
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pbcal For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Esso1001
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Thanks for the info

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deanemj
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbcal View Post
This will work. But the problem is you be back to Fire TV launcher if you press home button.
I got Llame rules to launch back the custom launcher. Credit goes to user from XBMC forum for the idea.
That is a brilliant idea. I've been trying think of some way to do this and I stumbled on this thread. Thanks so much!

jdbreazeale
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Which launcher are you using? I like the stock launcher, I just wish I could get links to my sideloaded apps to show up in the carousel.

MadFlava
Old
Thanks Meter 72
Can you use Home2 to make it go back to your launcher of choice? Probably not since you cant switch launchers to begin with and I forget if that needs root or not.

deanemj
Old
(Last edited by deanemj; 7th May 2014 at 12:02 AM.) Reason: Added which launcher I'm using.
Thanks Meter 13
Just for the record, Solo Launcher sucks on Fire TV. I mean, it works and whatnot, but it is not meant for a TV box.

I'm currently using Nova Launcher and it works fairly well with my K400.

deanemj
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Quote:
Could you post your Llama rule? I'm trying to make Llama launch Nova Launcher when I press the home button but I just can't figure it out.