Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,924 Members 45,256 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Use Infrared for remote control

Tip us?

Swoncen
Old
(Last edited by Swoncen; 10th June 2014 at 10:49 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Use Infrared for remote control

Hello,

I'm the owner of a brandnew G Pad 8.3 and I'm very happy with it. I just found out, that you can actually use the infrared sensor to turn on/off your devices (TV, Video-Audio Receiver, etc.) but the pre-installed app is limited to TV, Bluray players and DVD players. I found some other apps to simply learn IR codes for other devices but they dont work on my G Pad. I've heard, that one can only access the IR sensor with the LG SDK, and most (probably all) apps wont be able to use this sensor. Does anyone have a solution for this problem?

Best Regards

melagodo
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I've looked everywhere for a solution but no success..Also wrote to a couple of developers and they told me the same!

Swoncen
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by melagodo View Post
I've looked everywhere for a solution but no success..Also wrote to a couple of developers and they told me the same!
This is strange. I dont understand the philosophy of LG. I would understand it, if they restrict the usage of their built-in hardware to force users to use LG software. But to restrict it and then not develop a good tool to use it is just ridiculious, It is like: "Here have this awesome, usefull piece of hardware, but you cannot use it".

TehJumpingJawa
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swoncen View Post
This is strange. I dont understand the philosophy of LG. I would understand it, if they restrict the usage of their built-in hardware to force users to use LG software. But to restrict it and then not develop a good tool to use it is just ridiculious, It is like: "Here have this awesome, usefull piece of hardware, but you cannot use it".
Quite.

It's even more ridiculous for the GPE version of the gpad - the IR blaster in that is flat out unusable!

muiriddin
Old
Thanks Meter 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by TehJumpingJawa View Post
Quite.

It's even more ridiculous for the GPE version of the gpad - the IR blaster in that is flat out unusable!
The tin foil hat wearing part of me always thought the GPE versions of the gpad were the ones which failed the IR Blaster internal tests... I have no proof of this and it seems like the hardware is slightly different so... probably not true, but it makes me laugh none the less.

AlrightMister
Old
Thanks Meter 1
The encrypted ir blaster is bad enough but coupled with the cut down version of QuickRemote on the G Pad it's down right punitive. I would love to see the business justification for doing this. Yes, they provide an SDK with documentation... So compelling that ZERO apps have been developed with it. LG needs to step up and unlock the ir, integrate code translation into an update and just set it free. Doing things this way isnt't going to win them any hearts and minds, least of all mine.

4218kris
Old
(Last edited by 4218kris; 17th June 2014 at 05:11 PM.)
Thanks Meter 6

DONATE TO ME
I haven't had any problems with 3rd party apps with it on my vk810 vzw. You saying that you can't get it to learn codes? Wouldn't it have to have a ir reciever also? Or do the it emitter work both ways?

AlrightMister
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4218kris View Post
I haven't had any problems with 3rd party apps with it on my vk810 vzw. You saying that you can't get it to learn codes? Wouldn't it have to have a ir reciever also? Or do the it emitter work both ways?
What ROM are you running and what 3rd party apps have you tested that work with the ir blaster? There is no ir sensor so I know it can't learn codes. The hardware interface to the ir blaster on the V500 is encrypted and to date only works with the LG QuickRemote app.

4218kris
Old
Thanks Meter 6

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlrightMister View Post
What ROM are you running and what 3rd party apps have you tested that work with the ir blaster? There is no ir sensor so I know it can't learn codes. The hardware interface to the ir blaster on the V500 is encrypted and to date only works with the LG QuickRemote app.
Stock ROM, the vk810 works with all the apps if tried so far that are available on google play store.

AlrightMister
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4218kris View Post
Stock ROM, the vk810 works with all the apps if tried so far that are available on google play store.
Couple of possibilities here. Either they used different ir hardware in the otherwise nearly identical LTE version or there is something in the software that unlocks it. I'm hoping software. Can you name a couple of the apps that worked by name so that us V500 users can try them to verify if they work or not for us?(won't work ) Then I guess it's off down the road of stirring up some interest to pick apart the stock vk810 ROM to see what's up with this unlocked ir blaster. Thanks!