Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,736,733 Members 53,670 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

HTC One slow when playing .MKV

Tip us?

nrkid9
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Question HTC One slow when playing .MKV

I use my phone to watch movies from time to time and some of my series are in .mkv files. I use MplayerX to decompress and watch these files. I recently watched Django Unchained on my phone (in .mp4 format) and it was playing smoothly, however whenever I use .mkv files the picture seems to lag and sometimes the audio doesn't synchronize with the video. Is this because of the app or is it too much for the phone to handle?

Note: Each of these was in 720p.

mr.orange303
Old
Thanks Meter 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrkid9 View Post
I use my phone to watch movies from time to time and some of my series are in .mkv files. I use MplayerX to decompress and watch these files. I recently watched Django Unchained on my phone (in .mp4 format) and it was playing smoothly, however whenever I use .mkv files the picture seems to lag and sometimes the audio doesn't synchronize with the video. Is this because of the app or is it too much for the phone to handle?

Definitely too much for the phone to handle. Case closed.

Sent from my HTC One using xda premium

realrickjames
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.orange303 View Post

My Epic 4G (first-gen Galaxy S) can play 720p mkvs fine. No way that's too much for your phone to handle. Try MX Player's H/W+ decoder.

nrkid9
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by realrickjames View Post
My Epic 4G (first-gen Galaxy S) can play 720p mkvs fine. No way that's too much for your phone to handle. Try MX Player's H/W+ decoder.
I tried to activate that, but it said that HW was not available for the file.

Sent from my HTC One using xda app-developers app

Serift
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
I tried to activate that, but it said that HW was not available for the file.

Sent from my HTC One using xda app-developers app
mp4 and mkv are just containers. They tell us nothing about the actual codec of the video. But if HW decoding is not available, then the file might be 10 bit h264, which is too much for even some computers. You're not going to get perfectly smooth playback on a phone then.

fmedrano1977
Old
Thanks Meter 441
Tried Dice?

HTC One

bgmoey
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Re: HTC one slow

Try using mxplayer but not with H/W decoder.

Use the S/W decoder. My mkv videos play seamlessly on my One.

Tesla84
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.orange303 View Post

Definitely bull****, don't listen to this, I have One X and it smoothly plays 720p, there's videos actually showing exactly that, on One X. So, it's some other issue. Try enabling hardware decoder or disabling - either or might be the key.

Serpentene
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:

Use MXplayer with custom codec..optionally install elemental X kernel and even with a slight OC your HTC ONE will perform well at any app, multimedia file, etc. you throw at it.

I STREAM 1080P BLU-RAY rips w/ DTS audio from a home theater PC to my HTC ONE M7..using this method.

neosic
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpentene View Post
Use MXplayer with custom codec..optionally install elemental X kernel and even with a slight OC your HTC ONE will perform well at any app, multimedia file, etc. you throw at it.

I STREAM 1080P BLU-RAY rips w/ DTS audio from a home theater PC to my HTC ONE M7..using this method.
What custom codec do you use on mxplayer?