Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,782,554 Members 36,253 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Need help updating to 4.4 from VS98010B

Tip us?

Rober7
Old
(Last edited by Rober7; 9th May 2014 at 03:58 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Need help updating to 4.4 from VS98010B

Hello everyone:

This will be my second post here, so please be gentle...

As you can see, I have the VS98010B FW, and although I've spent a whole day searching in this forum (an others) how to even get the 12B FW to at least get started with the update, have failed in every attempt...

I'm on Mac, but have tried the Upgrade Assistant on Windows, and it doesn't even recognise it. The OTA update doesn't work either, so I'm stuck.

So please: what do I have to do to upgrade my phone???

Forgot to mention that I did a Factory Reset, but some how kept root access.

Thanks in advanced for your help,

mjones73
Old
Thanks Meter 772

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rober7 View Post
Hello everyone:

This will be my second post here, so please be gentle...

As you can see, I have the VS98010B FW, and although I've spent a whole day searching in this forum (an others) how to even get the 12B FW to at least get started with the update, have failed in every attempt...

I'm on Mac, but have tried the Upgrade Assistant on Windows, and it doesn't even recognise it. The OTA update doesn't work either, so I'm stuck.

So please: what do I have to do to upgrade my phone???

Forgot to mention that I did a Factory Reset, but some how kept root access.

Thanks in advanced for your help,
If you have access to a windows machine, wipe it back to stock and let it take the OTA, you can root it with ioroot25 afterwards.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2448960

A factory reset just wipes the /data directory, it doesn't touch /system where your root apps are (su, busybox)
Matt
LG G2 - VS980 - XDABBEB's VS980 v2.0.0
HTC Rezound - S-Off - Retired

Rober7
Old
(Last edited by Rober7; 10th May 2014 at 09:09 PM.) Reason: Update
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones73 View Post
If you have access to a windows machine, wipe it back to stock and let it take the OTA, you can root it with ioroot25 afterwards.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2448960

A factory reset just wipes the /data directory, it doesn't touch /system where your root apps are (su, busybox)
Thanks for replying! Took my time to reply back because I was following the tutorial you pointed (trying to do it on VB from Mac, but that's a whole other story), and finally got to do it right (now have the 11A FW)
BUT, when I hit the "Check New" to update, it hangs there for a minute and then says "Download Unsuccessful"...

I must clear out as well that I'm using it with another carrier (Orange) outside US.

acejavelin
Old
Thanks Meter 433

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rober7 View Post
Thanks for replying! Took my time to reply back because I was following the tutorial you pointed (trying to do it on VB from Mac, but that's a whole other story), and finally got to do it right (now have the 11A FW)
BUT, when I hit the "Check New" to update, it hangs there for a minute and then says "Download Unsuccessful"...

I must clear out as well that I'm using it with another carrier (Orange) outside US.
That is your issue then... you have to be on Verizon to get the OTA

To update you should try using Windows and use the Verizon LG Software Upgrade assistant software, it should prompt you to install it when you connect your phone to a PC. If it doesn't, open My Computer and look for a CD-ROM drive associates with your phone and run it.
Current Personal Phone: Google Nexus 4 on Cricket/Aio (Beanstalk 4.4.4 with hells-Core Kernel)
Current Work Phone: LG G2 VS980 on VZW (Official Beanstalk)
Current Tablet: iPad 4 and Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2
Other phones "in the family": HTC DNA, HTC One (M7), Motorola Moto G GPE
Previous/Retired Android Devices: HTC Aria, HTC Incredible 2, HTC Rezound, Samsung Stratosphere, Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket, Nextbook 8P

Rober7
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by acejavelin View Post
That is your issue then... you have to be on Verizon to get the OTA

To update you should try using Windows and use the Verizon LG Software Upgrade assistant software, it should prompt you to install it when you connect your phone to a PC. If it doesn't, open My Computer and look for a CD-ROM drive associates with your phone and run it.
First off, thanks for helping out as well. I tried that, but it doesn't see it. Today I upgraded to VS98012B, and followed this tutorial
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2699123 to force the OTA update.

Everything was fine until after the reboot: it said: "Softwareupdate fail!"

I'm getting a little bit frustrated with this... Is there a flashable version of the official KK?

Rober7
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Found this tutorial, which I followed to be finally on KitKat!

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...re+update+fail

Although, do not flash anything until you have EVERYTHING on your internal drive!!! if not, you'll end up having to know the term "sideloading"...