[Q] Wet S4... won't turn on...

21st May 2013, 03:14 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

10 posts
Riding the motorcycle home tonight I got drenched for about 6 miles... normally not an issue and never has affected my phone in my back pocket before... but for some reason tonight was different...

about a mile from my house my music stopped working and didn't think much of it... but when I pulled into the garage and found my s4 was a bit wetter than normal and would not turn on my concerns grew...

Currently have the entire thing apart.. batter... case... even sim and microSD card out... there was not a lot of visible moisture on the inside... but I did find a few drops on the SD card once removed. Also the phone will not indicate a charge by led or on-screen.

I'm letting it dry out as much and as long as I can... other than just waiting it out... any tips somebody can give me? anything phone specific that I could do to help it turn on? (power+vol up+home something?) and is there a wet indicator on the phone some place? above the SD slot there are 2 brass connectors and a bright pink dot in a hole above them... is that anything unusual?
21st May 2013, 03:18 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 24

283 posts
The phone does have liquid detectors. If you tried to turn on the phone you probably fried it. If you didn't turn on the phone yet leave it in ziploc bag with rice for a few days.
21st May 2013, 03:22 AM   |  #3  
Recognized Contributor
Flag ViSiONViLLE
Thanks Meter: 12,904

10,665 posts
Donate to Me
More
Put it in a jar of dry white rice for 24hrs. It will absorb all the mosture .. one of my friends drop his g3 in tolit and he did that ...booted again...trip..

---------- Post added at 09:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:21 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViciousLSD

The phone does have liquid detectors. If you tried to turn on the phone you probably fried it. If you didn't turn on the phone yet leave it in ziploc bag with rice for a few days.

You beat me to it...damn...
21st May 2013, 04:03 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 321

1,191 posts
Donate to Me
More
If your daring enough you could try opening the phone and use 99% isopropyl alcohol (technicians alcohol) to clean the parts. Alcohol displaces the water so as you use a small brush (we call thrm acid brushes....not sure what the 'normal' world calls them) use a single ply tissue to absorb the water/alcohol.
21st May 2013, 04:28 AM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member

10 posts
Does anybody know where those liquid detectors are? are they visible with the back cover and batter out?

Thanks for all the quick responses... I will try the above and see how it goes... this is my primary way to be contacted and after just a few hours I already feel cut off... its also how I make my money (being on call.... work can't call... I can't make money!) so I'm looking at resurrecting old phones... but I was hoping for a quicker solution... but I'd rather take my time and save my phone... I was hoping the battery went dead... was yelling at me earlier... but obviously not the case.
21st May 2013, 04:34 AM   |  #6  
Flag Boston, MA
Thanks Meter: 615

1,462 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot143

Does anybody know where those liquid detectors are? are they visible with the back cover and batter out?

Thanks for all the quick responses... I will try the above and see how it goes... this is my primary way to be contacted and after just a few hours I already feel cut off... its also how I make my money (being on call.... work can't call... I can't make money!) so I'm looking at resurrecting old phones... but I was hoping for a quicker solution... but I'd rather take my time and save my phone... I was hoping the battery went dead... was yelling at me earlier... but obviously not the case.

There is no quick solution. Keep it in the bag of rice as suggested, and leave it for at least 24 hours and I would even say try to go well beyond that for as long as you can hold out. Gotta make sure as much moisture as possible gets sucked out before trying to turn her over.

(What kind of bike you ride?)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2
21st May 2013, 04:47 AM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 35

143 posts
I had a coworker do this.

put it in a bag with the moisture absorbers, silica gel, he left like over night in a zip lock and in the morning it started working again.
21st May 2013, 05:01 AM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 81

510 posts
I would do the bag of rice or moisture absorbers as others mentioned. The worst thing you can do when a phone gets wet is plug it in or try to turn it on. It seems you tried both. Hope for the best. Next time, if ever there is one, if you see your phone is wet, quickly dry it up and take it apart as much as you can. Kill any power going to it (ie. remove the battery immediately). Then place it in a bag with rice or other moisture absorbers. I would leave it a day or two. Make sure it's fully dry. If you are brave, take a torx bit to it and open it up. Make sure everything is dry inside. Put it back together once it's dry and try to power it on. Most cases this will work. I hope it works for you. Sadly it's on the heels of the leaked image of the waterproof S4.
21st May 2013, 05:16 AM   |  #9  
OP Junior Member

10 posts
2007 zx-10r... wasn't quick enough tonight I suppose... doh!

my other phones I never tossed out are no help... the sim card won't fit... keep looking... keeps me from messing with my phone too much!
21st May 2013, 05:31 AM   |  #10  
Flag Boston, MA
Thanks Meter: 615

1,462 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot143

2007 zx-10r... wasn't quick enough tonight I suppose... doh!

my other phones I never tossed out are no help... the sim card won't fit... keep looking... keeps me from messing with my phone too much!

Because the sim is too small? Just line up the gold contacts. I was able to get the microSIM working in my old captivate which takes a standard sized SIM just by carefully lining it up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread