FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Galaxy s5 2.1A car charger not working

7 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By Miltzi, Junior Member on 14th May 2014, 10:29 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
I recently got a new Galaxy s5 on contract. I've heard that the galaxy s5 supports fast charging with a 2.1A charger. I bought a 2.1A car charger online, but the charger doesn't work when I connect it via a regular micro-USB cable to my phone. My brother's Galaxy s4 mini charges fine on it.

I was reading something on another post mentioning the need to modify the cable itself?

Any suggestions? I have another USB car charger for an iPad, and this charger also doesn't seem to work, whereas my old 1A car charger does work, but charges very slowly.

Sent from my SM-G900H using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

14th May 2014, 11:32 AM |#2  

More
Buy this one Maxboost car charger at Amazon or e-bay. Best of the best.
14th May 2014, 11:37 AM |#3  
OP Junior Member

More
I was hoping to find a solution that doesn't involve buying a new charger

14th May 2014, 11:49 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 19

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miltzi

I was hoping to find a solution that doesn't involve buying a new charger

I havent tested with my Galaxy S5, but previously I had "noname" chargers and cables, and they worked fine with my HTC One S, but didnt work with my GF's Galaxy S3.

Samsung might have made devices more "sensetive" to crap products. Try different cable (try original USB cable that came with ur phone and the charger you bought).
14th May 2014, 12:25 PM |#5  
OP Junior Member

More
I tried original USB but to no avail. Perhaps this has something to do with this:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...1497864&page=2

15th May 2014, 05:40 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 81

More
The problem is most generic car chargers are designed to work with Apple products. Apple uses a non-standard way of telling their devices essentially "hey, I'm a charger." This makes "standard" devices not recognize the charger properly. The device tends to think it's plugged into a computer and only draw around 500mAh.

You can convert a USB cable into a charging cable by shorting the data pins (on the device side), or you can buy charging only cables. I've been using these cables on my S2, and now my S5: http://amzn.com/B007F1DV76 . I used a Galaxy Charging app to verify charging rate and it indicated 1.2A on both the Samsung wall-wart and cable as well as my Scosche 2.1A car charger w/ charging only cable.
1st July 2014, 09:52 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoSt180

The problem is most generic car chargers are designed to work with Apple products. Apple uses a non-standard way of telling their devices essentially "hey, I'm a charger." This makes "standard" devices not recognize the charger properly. The device tends to think it's plugged into a computer and only draw around 500mAh.

Why is this? When 4 out of 5 devices are built on Android? http://tinyurl.com/qxpnyoh

I am so irritated at not having access to quality accessories for my devices. Take for example I wanted a set of great sounding headphones that controlled my mic, my tracks, etc. But, you won't find it other than Samsung's own that come with the phone. I had a great sounding pair of Seinnheisers but could not go back and forward on tracks. I plugged it into my ancient Ipod 5th gen classic and worked beautifully! For $80 I should get full functionality for my S4 or S5! My only choice is the LG Tones. Which are awesome but if my battery dies then no music or calls for me!

Frustrated!
3rd July 2014, 01:38 AM |#8  
Flag Logansport, IN
Thanks Meter: 426

More
My Klipsch earphones work perfectly changing tracks with with the inline remote.

Also my 2.1A charging won't charge my GS5 but it'll charge a GS4 and my Galaxy Exhilarate.

Sent From My Galaxy S5 Far Far Away
3rd July 2014, 10:09 AM |#9  
OP Junior Member

More
I followed these instructions and my car charger now charges my gs5:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mox123

Anyone wanting to know how to fast charge using the usb port on your pc/laptop?

This usually takes ages compared to charging via mains lead, the hack itself is quite simple and involves modifying the usb cable

my results are as follows (these can vary depending on what you are using your phone for, what background apps running, etc.

charging with mains lead :
4.2v
998mah
mains ac

charging with STANDARD usb lead:
422mah
3.999v
standard usb

and finally the MODIFIED usb lead hack:
4.161v
782mah
usb hack

as you can see it is a 53% increase in charging compared to standard usb charging mah, and slightly under mains ac charging mah,

as my phone is always plugged in at my work pc or home pc or laptop or whatever this works out good

TUT:
use at your own risk this is for information purposes only and I hold no responsibility to any damage that may arise

using a micro usb cable (charging cable for htc phones)
cut it using a pliers half way through the cable
using pliers again cut away the thick black wiring, the red and black small wiring, and white and green wiring
from the usb port end to the microusb connect the black and red cables together so they join
from the microusb end short out the white and green cables together
from the usb port end leave the white and green cables, do not touch these
use insulation tape/solder to clean it up and then your cable is ready
I will make a mod for car chargers also soon

see attached image showing which wires to cut and which to join up and which to leave alone, if this helped you in anyway (it should help you ) then please hit the thanks button

this mod will trick your pc/laptop/htc into thinking that it is not a pc usb cable and will allow higher currents and voltage to your phone
you can check this with current widget from market place

once this mod is done, you cannot use the same cable again for pc/usb tethering or usb disk drive, only cable can be used for charging

4th July 2014, 10:51 PM |#10  
Seattle
Thanks Meter: 108

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitnameet99

Buy this one Maxboost car charger at Amazon or e-bay. Best of the best.

Which cable are you using with that charger?
5th July 2014, 06:15 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoSt180

You can convert a USB cable into a charging cable by shorting the data pins (on the device side), or you can buy charging only cables. I've been using these cables on my S2, and now my S5: http://amzn.com/B007F1DV76 . I used a Galaxy Charging app to verify charging rate and it indicated 1.2A on both the Samsung wall-wart and cable as well as my Scosche 2.1A car charger w/ charging only cable.

I also bought a charger (Rapid USB Car Charger, http://bit.ly/VrK8s2) that was able to charge up to 2.1 A, but when I connect my Nexus 5 (with OEM cable), I charge with speed of 500 mA. I expected least 1 A.

I'm not amused at all! End users shouldn't have to deal with this nonsense. This should work out of the box!

I have two alternative:

1. Buy this charging cable.
2. Change kernel to trick the phone to draw more power from the USB port.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)