Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,733,198 Members 41,617 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

The king of ultra slim cases is actually NOT Spigen as I initially thought... RINGKE!

Tip us?

chillsen
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 43
Thumbs up The king of ultra slim cases is actually NOT Spigen as I initially thought... RINGKE!

So as many of you waiting for your pre-orders last week I went ahead and looked for an ultra slim case for everyday use. Spigen seemed to be a household name and went ahead and bought their Ultra Fit for $10:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I3ULRZG

I was satisfied with it, matte white, fit perfect and snug, protected the back camera and sensors when placed on a table, nothing to complain about. I had thrown out the screen cover because the cut outs were not precise at all, in fact there was no cut out for the upper sensors, only for the home button. Why would i ruin front camera quality with the screen protector over it? yuck.

I then came across Ringke Slim. I have never heard of them before but judging by their high number of reviews, it seemed that they were well versed as well in the case game. at this time i also wanted to get an electric blue case because i got tired of plain white super quick. Also, the screen protector actually had the PERFECT cut out for all sensors and front camera. This was super impressive to me and I gladly put it on even though I don't care much for screen covers in general. This is what i ordered for $9 including shipping:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IPKHP64

Well i received it today and WOW it was made of a far superior plastic. It wasn't because it was thicker but it felt very different. it felt more denser, less paper like. i compared tapping each and the Spigen was very "airy" felt cheap and very "hollow" (best way i could describe it). The sides were completely covered as opposed open which isn't a bad thing but it did feel more complete as a case. Cut outs were perfect as well and charging hasn't been a problem. I quickly realized the Spigen case is actually not as great as I thought now that I had something to really compare it to. I started seeing on the Spigen where the plastic was punched out of the mold (check picture).

Anyways enough talk here's the pictures:

http://dl-1.va.us.xda-developers.com...&ts=1397604778

And the gallery plus the Spigen white case for comparison. Notice the inside of the Spigen, wasn't even spray painted completely most likely because they used a clamp to spin it while spraying

http://imgur.com/a/MxMFH

As you can tell Ringke > Spigen in the affordable ultra slim case category.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-04-15 19.11.55.jpg
Views:	3111
Size:	256.8 KB
ID:	2688719  

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to chillsen For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

kurofox23?
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillsen View Post
So as many of you waiting for your pre-orders last week I went ahead and looked for an ultra slim case for everyday use. Spigen seemed to be a household name and went ahead and bought their Ultra Fit for $10:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I3ULRZG

I was satisfied with it, matte white, fit perfect and snug, protected the back camera and sensors when placed on a table, nothing to complain about. I had thrown out the screen cover because the cut outs were not precise at all, in fact there was no cut out for the upper sensors, only for the home button. Why would i ruin front camera quality with the screen protector over it? yuck.

I then came across Ringke Slim. I have never heard of them before but judging by their high number of reviews, it seemed that they were well versed as well in the case game. at this time i also wanted to get an electric blue case because i got tired of plain white super quick. Also, the screen protector actually had the PERFECT cut out for all sensors and front camera. This was super impressive to me and I gladly put it on even though I don't care much for screen covers in general. This is what i ordered for $9 including shipping:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IPKHP64

Well i received it today and WOW it was made of a far superior plastic. It wasn't because it was thicker but it felt very different. it felt more denser, less paper like. i compared tapping each and the Spigen was very "airy" felt cheap and very "hollow" (best way i could describe it). The sides were completely covered as opposed open which isn't a bad thing but it did feel more complete as a case. Cut outs were perfect as well and charging hasn't been a problem. I quickly realized the Spigen case is actually not as great as I thought now that I had something to really compare it to. I started seeing on the Spigen where the plastic was punched out of the mold (check picture).

Anyways enough talk here's the pictures:

http://dl-1.va.us.xda-developers.com...&ts=1397604778

And the gallery plus the Spigen white case for comparison. Notice the inside of the Spigen, wasn't even spray painted completely most likely because they used a clamp to spin it while spraying

http://imgur.com/a/MxMFH

As you can tell Ringke > Spigen in the affordable ultra slim case category.
Agreed, i bought both through amazon, and while i didnt care to use any of the screen protectors the Ringke is MUCH better and really sleek looking. Material kind of feels like the back of the phone and even looks like the back. Only downside is i hate trying to get the freaking waterproof flap out at night! Grrrr

bhess
Old
Thanks Meter 10
I too have this case and am liking it.

It is hard to hook your fingernail to get the charging flap open although I assume most cases will be similar.
The Following User Says Thank You to bhess For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

peaster3
Old
Thanks Meter 42
Ok...I'll jump aboard. I bought two cases before I got the S5 in my hands. One was the Ringke and the other was the Spigen Tough Armor.

While the Tough Armor is a very solid case and looks great, it makes the S5 feel like a brick in my hands. On the other hand, the Ringke Slim has a similar texture and gripability as the S5 naked. It doesn't even feel like the device has a case on it at all.
Phone: Galaxy S5
ROM: Dynamic Kat
Launcher: TW

Tablet - Nexus 7 (2013) -Installed In-Dash in my F-One-Fiddy
ROM - Stock (Rooted)

Onyok
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Nice! Defo would give Spigen a run for its money! Great to see competition here and there. At the end, we, the consumers, would benefit on it. More options, right?

reverepats
Old
Recognized Themer
Thanks Meter 4866

DONATE TO ME
Yea I just orderd 2 new Ringke cases. Ill post em up when they comr in tomorrow

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

jumbeemann
Old
Thanks Meter 1
thanks for this review man. Was about to order a spigen case and then saw this and after a little more research i just ordered the ringke. I went with the Dot black, I'll post up some pictures to compare with other colors once it comes in.

LeKtRiCzzz
Old
Thanks Meter 42
I got the DOT black I ordered from their site and got the case plus screen protector for $10 with free shipping

Sent from my GT-I9505G using xda app-developers app

fastfed
Old
Thanks Meter 58
I got this case delivered today.. It is AWESOME and for 5 bucks it was a steal.. I crumbled up the useless screen protector and threw it out

I should have gotten white though, because my phone is white and I got the blue color. It kind of looks funny.. I thought blue and white would look good.

It doesn't

Paulenski
Old
Thanks Meter 44
I got the spigen neohybrid case and their glas.tr slim glass screen protector. Had literally the same setup on my s4 lol same yellow trim too

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk