Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,784,161 Members 41,601 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Google Voice app alternatives

Tip us?

Theowb4
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Google Voice app alternatives

Google Voice is an amazing service. I had the GNex on Verizon, and switched to T-Mo with the Nexus 4. When switching, I ported my number to Google Voice, since I loved all the functionality of the service. What I didn't factor in was how atrocious the Google Voice app for Android is. It's super slow, freezes commonly, and ugly. It's hardly usable for sending and receiving SMS messages, and I text a lot, so that's important. I tried the GV Integration app (seen here), and it is nothing but buggy, making my phone unstable and not displaying notifications.

Does anybody have functional alternatives to the Google Voice app? Remember, Google Voice has my phone number now, and I do have to use the service.

Butchr
Old
Thanks Meter 57
Can't believe you find voice that buggy. I use it almost exclusively for any text I ever send. Have no problem with lag at all unless I am on a less than consistent network. Runs smooth for me every time I ever open it. Can't ever recall a crash. It isn't the prettiest interface granted, but for functionality I don't know of any better. I know all the isheep I know use that whats app. I believe you can get that on our platform. Then you will be just like all the other iclones.

Theowb4
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butchr View Post
Can't believe you find voice that buggy. I use it almost exclusively for any text I ever send. Have no problem with lag at all unless I am on a less than consistent network. Runs smooth for me every time I ever open it. Can't ever recall a crash. It isn't the prettiest interface granted, but for functionality I don't know of any better. I know all the isheep I know use that whats app. I believe you can get that on our platform. Then you will be just like all the other iclones.
I wish I could understand what you were saying, but I truly can't. I don't have any crashing, just lagginess using the official Google Voice app, compared to the normal messaging app. Your last two sentences though...I'm lost.

Earthlark
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I agree, Theowb4. I wish there were a good way to integrate GV with the native JB messaging app or that GV would polish their app a little more. It's alright (and not having used it a lot, I haven't really noticed it being too laggy), but I think the JB app is more functional and better looking.

HoochShepherd
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthlark View Post
I agree, Theowb4. I wish there were a good way to integrate GV with the native JB messaging app or that GV would polish their app a little more. It's alright (and not having used it a lot, I haven't really noticed it being too laggy), but I think the JB app is more functional and better looking.
Honestly, I had a rom with my sprint phone I couldn't get the sprint voicemail to work with. I eventually got so annoyed at how unpolished GV was that I went back to stock.. LOL Now I'm so bored with stock I'm determined to get my VTT working again.

vcast009
Old
Thanks Meter 1
I'm currently using Fusion Messenger https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....fsn.messenger and it's still in public beta. It's one of the better ones I seen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theowb4 View Post
Google Voice is an amazing service. I had the GNex on Verizon, and switched to T-Mo with the Nexus 4. When switching, I ported my number to Google Voice, since I loved all the functionality of the service. What I didn't factor in was how atrocious the Google Voice app for Android is. It's super slow, freezes commonly, and ugly. It's hardly usable for sending and receiving SMS messages, and I text a lot, so that's important. I tried the GV Integration app (seen here), and it is nothing but buggy, making my phone unstable and not displaying notifications.

Does anybody have functional alternatives to the Google Voice app? Remember, Google Voice has my phone number now, and I do have to use the service.

naukofx
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theowb4 View Post
Does anybody have functional alternatives to the Google Voice app?
I'm not sure about 4" compatibility, but "Messaging + Google Voice" by DREAMBIG, INC has been great on my Nexus 7. I'd link to play store but I'm too new for links ><

blacmack
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by vcast009 View Post
I'm currently using Fusion Messenger https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....fsn.messenger and it's still in public beta. It's one of the better ones I seen.
Agreed. It works better and looks nicer. It comes with a popup reply box and fixes one of my biggest problems with Google Voice by combining all the threads, so you have one thread for each contact. It also grabs all text history, which many apps can't seem to do (read somewhere that it's because Voice doesn't have an API).

vcast009
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Starting with 7/12 nightlies, the stock messaging app can be configured to send GV messages on CM 10.1

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app

OsmanMusa
Old
Thanks Meter 38
I am actually researching the best alternatives for Google Voice. If only the Google Voice Team can be successful as the Google Chrome team, then this world would be better. Google Voice needs so much work I don't know where to begin, seriously.

http://techlivewire.com/2013/07/07/a...not-a-spammer/

Introducing laser cut apple iCar.

Tags
google voice, google voice integration, voice