Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,813,290 Members 53,079 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Dev-Edition & Roms

Tip us?
 
PistonPounder
Old
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 20
Join Date: Nov 2012
Default Dev-Edition & Roms

Hey all been out of the loop for a little bit and I have a question. With the phone being as locked down as it is I was thinking of getting the Verizon GS5 Dev-Edition. Can I use ROMs and/or Kernels that are in the main GS5 forum?

Thanks for the advice/help in advanced!
 
kprice8
Old
#2  
kprice8's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 197
Posts: 546
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Lansing MI
Quote:
Originally Posted by PistonPounder View Post
Hey all been out of the loop for a little bit and I have a question. With the phone being as locked down as it is I was thinking of getting the Verizon GS5 Dev-Edition. Can I use ROMs and/or Kernels that are in the main GS5 forum?

Thanks for the advice/help in advanced!
If it's the Dev Edition and once rooted, I would think so. I could be wrong.
If I helped you, hit thanks if you like.

-Kevin
 
PistonPounder
Old
#3  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 20
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by kprice8 View Post
If it's the Dev Edition and once rooted, I would think so. I could be wrong.
Appreciate the quick reply! I'd imagine Kernals might be hit or miss but ROMs would be ok but I could be wrong on both accounts and I just wanted to make sure before I bought it.
 
kprice8
Old
#4  
kprice8's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 197
Posts: 546
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Lansing MI
Quote:
Originally Posted by PistonPounder View Post
Appreciate the quick reply! I'd imagine Kernals might be hit or miss but ROMs would be ok but I could be wrong on both accounts and I just wanted to make sure before I bought it.
Either way, the Dev edition is the way to go. There is a custom build in 'Original Android Dev' for the VZW S5 down a couple subforums that is confirmed stable.
If I helped you, hit thanks if you like.

-Kevin
 
PistonPounder
Old
#5  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 20
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by kprice8 View Post
Either way, the Dev edition is the way to go. There is a custom build in 'Original Android Dev' for the VZW S5 down a couple subforums that is confirmed stable.
Yea I saw the Kernel but there aren't any ROM's in the Verizon forum, the main GS5 forum is hoping though so I wanted to make sure I can actually do what I intend with the device given the money. Especially since I know the Dev-Edition will never get official updates from samsung.
 
jeydax
Old
#6  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 6
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by PistonPounder View Post
Yea I saw the Kernel but there aren't any ROM's in the Verizon forum, the main GS5 forum is hoping though so I wanted to make sure I can actually do what I intend with the device given the money. Especially since I know the Dev-Edition will never get official updates from samsung.
I'm curious myself. I just purchased an M8 but if we can flash ROMs from T-Mobile/AT&T/Int'l/Etc onto the rooted/unlocked S5 DE I'd probably buy that instead.
 
PistonPounder
Old
(Last edited by PistonPounder; 21st May 2014 at 02:12 AM.)
#7  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 20
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeydax View Post
I'm curious myself. I just purchased an M8 but if we can flash ROMs from T-Mobile/AT&T/Int'l/Etc onto the rooted/unlocked S5 DE I'd probably buy that instead.
From what I'm reading it should be ok as long as we use a Verizon kernel because the Intl version seems to also have the Snapdragon 801.

Waiting for someone with experience to confirm though.
 
PistonPounder
Old
#8  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 20
Join Date: Nov 2012
Anybody?

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes