Ask a question

No registration required

Dev-Edition & Roms

OP PistonPounder

19th May 2014, 08:21 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1

20 posts
Hey all been out of the loop for a little bit and I have a question. With the phone being as locked down as it is I was thinking of getting the Verizon GS5 Dev-Edition. Can I use ROMs and/or Kernels that are in the main GS5 forum?

Thanks for the advice/help in advanced!
19th May 2014, 08:23 PM   |  #2  
Flag Lansing MI
Thanks Meter: 209

591 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by PistonPounder

Hey all been out of the loop for a little bit and I have a question. With the phone being as locked down as it is I was thinking of getting the Verizon GS5 Dev-Edition. Can I use ROMs and/or Kernels that are in the main GS5 forum?

Thanks for the advice/help in advanced!

If it's the Dev Edition and once rooted, I would think so. I could be wrong.
19th May 2014, 08:32 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

20 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kprice8

If it's the Dev Edition and once rooted, I would think so. I could be wrong.

Appreciate the quick reply! I'd imagine Kernals might be hit or miss but ROMs would be ok but I could be wrong on both accounts and I just wanted to make sure before I bought it.
19th May 2014, 08:34 PM   |  #4  
Flag Lansing MI
Thanks Meter: 209

591 posts
More
Quote:

Appreciate the quick reply! I'd imagine Kernals might be hit or miss but ROMs would be ok but I could be wrong on both accounts and I just wanted to make sure before I bought it.

Either way, the Dev edition is the way to go. There is a custom build in 'Original Android Dev' for the VZW S5 down a couple subforums that is confirmed stable.
19th May 2014, 08:39 PM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member

20 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kprice8

Either way, the Dev edition is the way to go. There is a custom build in 'Original Android Dev' for the VZW S5 down a couple subforums that is confirmed stable.

Yea I saw the Kernel but there aren't any ROM's in the Verizon forum, the main GS5 forum is hoping though so I wanted to make sure I can actually do what I intend with the device given the money. Especially since I know the Dev-Edition will never get official updates from samsung.
21st May 2014, 01:02 AM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 2

9 posts
Quote:

Yea I saw the Kernel but there aren't any ROM's in the Verizon forum, the main GS5 forum is hoping though so I wanted to make sure I can actually do what I intend with the device given the money. Especially since I know the Dev-Edition will never get official updates from samsung.

I'm curious myself. I just purchased an M8 but if we can flash ROMs from T-Mobile/AT&T/Int'l/Etc onto the rooted/unlocked S5 DE I'd probably buy that instead.
21st May 2014, 03:10 AM   |  #7  
OP Junior Member

20 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeydax

I'm curious myself. I just purchased an M8 but if we can flash ROMs from T-Mobile/AT&T/Int'l/Etc onto the rooted/unlocked S5 DE I'd probably buy that instead.

From what I'm reading it should be ok as long as we use a Verizon kernel because the Intl version seems to also have the Snapdragon 801.

Waiting for someone with experience to confirm though.
Last edited by PistonPounder; 21st May 2014 at 03:12 AM.
21st May 2014, 09:21 PM   |  #8  
OP Junior Member

20 posts
Anybody?

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread