Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] How can I unbrick my S4?

OP sounut

20th May 2014, 10:56 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

5 posts
Ok. So here's what happened. I wanted to root my verizon galaxy s4 and put stock kitkat on it. It was on 4.3. So I rooted it. No problem. Then I tried to put on CWM so I could flash AOPK. But, once I put CWM on, I could not get it into recovery mode. It said that unauthorized software was on my device, not approved by verizon. The only way I could turn on the phone was to put it into download mode and then hit cancel. I wanted to unroot the phone at that point and try again. Also with downgrading it. So I downloaded ODIN and tried to restore my phone to samsung stock 4.2.2. So I tried it, it worked for a while and then ODIN said that it failed. Then when I turned on my phone, it gave me a message saying "Firmware upgrade encountered an issue. Please select recovery mode in Kies and try again." So I opened Kies, connected the phone, and tried to do emergency recovery, but it did't recognize my device. So I selected firmware upgrade and instilation. It downloaded and everything but it said "this devices version cannot be updated." So now I have no idea what to do. I can only go into download mode now. Please help me! What should I do?
20th May 2014, 11:13 PM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Springfield, Ma
Thanks Meter: 2,267

4,288 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sounut

Ok. So here's what happened. I wanted to root my verizon galaxy s4 and put stock kitkat on it. It was on 4.3. So I rooted it. No problem. Then I tried to put on CWM so I could flash AOPK. But, once I put CWM on, I could not get it into recovery mode. It said that unauthorized software was on my device, not approved by verizon. The only way I could turn on the phone was to put it into download mode and then hit cancel. I wanted to unroot the phone at that point and try again. Also with downgrading it. So I downloaded ODIN and tried to restore my phone to samsung stock 4.2.2. So I tried it, it worked for a while and then ODIN said that it failed. Then when I turned on my phone, it gave me a message saying "Firmware upgrade encountered an issue. Please select recovery mode in Kies and try again." So I opened Kies, connected the phone, and tried to do emergency recovery, but it did't recognize my device. So I selected firmware upgrade and instilation. It downloaded and everything but it said "this devices version cannot be updated." So now I have no idea what to do. I can only go into download mode now. Please help me! What should I do?

You have some reading to do. You can't install anything but SafeStrap recovery on your 4.3 S4. You also can't downgrade.

Here are the MK2 Odin files you need to get that phone fixed up.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2578209

Try the no wipe first then if that doesn't take you'll have to use the full wipe.

Then you can use saferoot to root it again and this time install SafeStrap.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Mistertac For This Useful Post: [ View ]
20th May 2014, 11:14 PM   |  #3  
Flag Philadelphia
Thanks Meter: 1,524

3,497 posts
More
You should read before you do things. You can't use a custom recovery like cwm if your s4 was on 4.3 stock. You can't use odin to downgrade to 4.2 either. Odin the full wipe mk2 tar and stay on stock software before you make your phone a paperweight.

Last edited by joshm.1219; 20th May 2014 at 11:16 PM.
20th May 2014, 11:15 PM   |  #4  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Springfield, Ma
Thanks Meter: 2,267

4,288 posts
Donate to Me
More
Here. Great place to start reading up so you know and you don't end up with a brick again http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=49334432

The Following User Says Thank You to Mistertac For This Useful Post: [ View ]
20th May 2014, 11:50 PM   |  #5  
Flag Decatur
Thanks Meter: 834

2,452 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sounut

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2606501

save yourself from turning phone into a paperweight
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread