Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,812,812 Members 48,892 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Galaxy S4 - XLTE

Tip us?

gt5oh
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 59
Lightbulb Galaxy S4 - XLTE

How do we know if our rom is taking advantage of XLTE / AWS spectrum?

Also, should we be running the network on Global or LTE/CDMA ?

Advice appreciated thanks

Jackie Treehorn
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt5oh View Post
How do we know if our rom is taking advantage of XLTE / AWS spectrum?

Also, should we be running the network on Global or LTE/CDMA ?

Advice appreciated thanks
I downloaded an app called 'Advanced Signal Status' from the Play store. It says I'm on LTE 14. From my reading today, I was expecting to see either 13 (reguar LTE), or 4 (AWS/XLTE).

I live in PCB, and the rollout included P'Cola and Tallahassee. I'm not sure if I'm under either of those umbrellas, so I wanted to check. Since I don't know what the 14 meains, I'm not sure what I've got. But you could give it a try.

Note that to access the part of this app that will provide this info, you have to be rooted.

Hope this helps.

gt5oh
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Treehorn View Post
I downloaded an app called 'Advanced Signal Status' from the Play store. It says I'm on LTE 14. From my reading today, I was expecting to see either 13 (reguar LTE), or 4 (AWS/XLTE).

I live in PCB, and the rollout included P'Cola and Tallahassee. I'm not sure if I'm under either of those umbrellas, so I wanted to check. Since I don't know what the 14 meains, I'm not sure what I've got. But you could give it a try.

Note that to access the part of this app that will provide this info, you have to be rooted.

Hope this helps.
interesting thanks

epicroot
Old
Thanks Meter 141

DONATE TO ME
Roms haves nothing to do with aws.... The modem does

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Slung at your screen from my 460hp 450wtq Genesis Coupe.

Remember kids drugs are bad mmkay

klabit87
Old
Thanks Meter 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by epicroot View Post
Roms haves nothing to do with aws.... The modem does

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Yes. You have to be on mj7 modem or above to have access to band 4 aws or xlte as Verizon has rebranded it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
If I have helped please hit the thanks button!
------------------------------------------------------
Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4
Rom: [ROM] Eclipse S4 TW - v4.0.2 (6/25/14) - Real AOSP styling!! KitKat has arrived!!!
Recovery: [RECOVERY LOCKED] Safestrap Recovery v3.71/v3.72 [2014-04-02 KK Beta]
Bootloader: MJ7

drt054
Old
(Last edited by drt054; 20th May 2014 at 09:05 AM.)
Thanks Meter 154
I am on CM11 5/18 nightly and just flashed the latest modem I545VRUNC5. I am in one of the markets for XLTE and wasn't sure if I had to do anything to my phone in order to get the XLTE. But found that once I flashed the latest modem and later in the day, found that speeds were faster without changing any settings. Prior to flashing NC5, I was on MJ7 but wasn't getting the speed. Guess it could have just been the time of day and the rollout was still on it's way, but no matter now.. very happy with it!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-05-20-02-29-33.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	142.3 KB
ID:	2753441  

jscarano
Old
(Last edited by jscarano; 20th May 2014 at 02:27 PM.)
Thanks Meter 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by drt054 View Post
I am on CM11 5/18 nightly and just flashed the latest modem I545VRUNC5. I am in one of the markets for XLTE and wasn't sure if I had to do anything to my phone in order to get the XLTE. But found that once I flashed the latest modem and later in the day, found that speeds were faster without changing any settings. Prior to flashing NC5, I was on MJ7 but wasn't getting the speed. Guess it could have just been the time of day and the rollout was still on it's way, but no matter now.. very happy with it!!!!
Damn thats nice. Im still on MDK . Where can I get just the I545VRUNC5 modem? thanks

edit I think I found it

rexdog1888
Old
Thanks Meter 47

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by jscarano View Post
Damn thats nice. Im still on MDK . Where can I get just the I545VRUNC5 modem? thanks

edit I think I found it
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2487298

Make sure you grab the one that says it's the modem only
The Following User Says Thank You to rexdog1888 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

rboddy
Old
(Last edited by rboddy; 20th May 2014 at 07:14 PM.)
Thanks Meter 23
I'm currently rooted on MK2, stock ROM and everything, and have no desire to go any further than just upgrading the modem, can I install only the necessary modem over MK2 or do I need to do a complete upgrade of the ROM and/or firmware?

EDIT: I just read the last page in that modems thread and people are saying MK2 should be able to take advantage of AWS, however I'm still getting the same speeds I've always been getting. What gives? I'm in Rochester NY and others in my area have confirmed they are now seeing AWS service levels.

ppat324wi
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by rboddy View Post
I'm currently on MK2 and have no desire to go any further than just upgrading the modem, can I install only the necessary modem over MK2 or do I need to do a complete upgrade of the ROM and/or firmware?
You have the MK2 Modem, which is already above MJ7, so no need to worry about that.
Hit thanks if I helped you!