Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,812,283 Members 38,520 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Flashed CWM, but still Stock Recovery?

Tip us?

CC268
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 35
Question Flashed CWM, but still Stock Recovery?

So I followed this guide to return to stock about a year ago: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2301259

I have since then remained on the stock ROM, but stayed on MDK. I am rooted as well, but never flashed a custom recovery.

Anyways I downloaded ROM Manager and flashed CWM Touch and it said it was succesful. However, when I reboot to recovery it is still the stock bootloader?

I am sure it is something stupid, as I have been away from all this stuff for quite a while now.
Samsung Galaxy S4 - VZW - ROOTED
Ghost Armor White Carbon Fiber

joshm.1219
Old
Thanks Meter 1,344
Rom manager won't work for our phone. You can use goo manager to install twrp or flashify to install either recovery

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2848/11738368925_6e7dbef510_o.png
  • CARRIER: Verizon
  • PHONE: Samsung S4 HTC One Max
  • CASE: Otterbox Defender modded to fit Anker 7800mah battery HTC PowerFlip
  • BOOTLOADER: MDK, loki bypass S-OFF & Relocked
  • RECOVERY: TWRP 2.7.x
  • KERNEL: Ktoonsez with Project Icarus profile and Hydra script FlyKernel
  • ROM: Eclipse TW 4.4 Adrenaline Sense 6
  • LAUNCHER & MODS: Google Now launcher with XGEL settings, GravityBox, Heads Up notifications, & Android L navbar
The Following User Says Thank You to joshm.1219 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

CC268
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshm.1219 View Post
Rom manager won't work for our phone. You can use goo manager to install twrp or flashify to install either recovery

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Woah...that is weird...it has always worked in the past? What happened?

joshm.1219
Old
Thanks Meter 1,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC268 View Post
Woah...that is weird...it has always worked in the past? What happened?
Verizon happened. Well they've always made their phone manufacturers lock the bootloaders but with the Qualcomm Snapdragons, we haven't been able to get a true bootloader unlock. In fact, you're very lucky you kept your phone on MDK firmware. There's a small majority of us that did that and we're the only ones with an "exploited" bootloader, the 6 firmwares since MDK all have locked bootloaders.

Basically we use a "loki" exploit to make the system think our bootloader is unlocked, even though it really isn't. That's why ROM manager won't work, you need a loki'd version of CWM, not just the normal version.
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2848/11738368925_6e7dbef510_o.png
  • CARRIER: Verizon
  • PHONE: Samsung S4 HTC One Max
  • CASE: Otterbox Defender modded to fit Anker 7800mah battery HTC PowerFlip
  • BOOTLOADER: MDK, loki bypass S-OFF & Relocked
  • RECOVERY: TWRP 2.7.x
  • KERNEL: Ktoonsez with Project Icarus profile and Hydra script FlyKernel
  • ROM: Eclipse TW 4.4 Adrenaline Sense 6
  • LAUNCHER & MODS: Google Now launcher with XGEL settings, GravityBox, Heads Up notifications, & Android L navbar
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joshm.1219 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

CC268
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshm.1219 View Post
Verizon happened. Well they've always made their phone manufacturers lock the bootloaders but with the Qualcomm Snapdragons, we haven't been able to get a true bootloader unlock. In fact, you're very lucky you kept your phone on MDK firmware. There's a small majority of us that did that and we're the only ones with an "exploited" bootloader, the 6 firmwares since MDK all have locked bootloaders.

Basically we use a "loki" exploit to make the system think our bootloader is unlocked, even though it really isn't. That's why ROM manager won't work, you need a loki'd version of CWM, not just the normal version.
Ahh gotcha, while I don't really do the custom ROMs or kernels anymore I guess I am glad I stayed on MDK. Now a days I just stay on the Stock ROM, but still rooted with custom recovery.

Thanks for your help.
The Following User Says Thank You to CC268 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]