Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,908 Members 53,492 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Rumor: Kit-Kat Officially Coming To Optimus G

Tip us?

Greatness83
Old
(Last edited by Greatness83; 2nd October 2013 at 05:40 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 54
Default Rumor: Kit-Kat Officially Coming To Optimus G

The Android 4.4 KitKat announcement sure caught a few… million people off guard early last month, which is why there’s little Google can do to shock the world anymore. Or is there? Well, how about if I told you there’s a good shot LG’s Optimus G will be one of the first ever smartphones to be officially bumped to Android 4.4? Would that be shocking enough?

Android-KitKat-4.4

Maybe not shocking, but definitely unexpected. For a handful of reasons. One, the G is nearing its first birthday, being by all intents and purposes an “aging” handheld. Two, the 4.7-incher is still stuck on Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean, so one would assume a 4.2 or 4.3 upgrade would be in the cards before a 4.4 makeover.

And three, does anyone even know the Optimus G exists? Not that it has aged very badly, but it’s, you know, almost archaic compared with current high-enders. It sports a 4.7-inch 720p display, 8 MP rear-facing camera in one of two configurations, plus a quad-core Snapdragon S4 Pro CPU that’s no longer the proudest stallion in Qualcomm’s stable.

Not to mention it’s been followed by not one, but two top-notch LG devices, the Optimus G Pro and G2, the second of which is highly praised by a number of reviewers and simple tech-savvy individuals alike.

But let’s back up for a second. What makes us think the Optimus G will get an Android 4.4 bump in the first place? An alleged private Facebook conversation between an everyday LG user, I presume, and the guy (or gal) in charge of the company’s official French account.

The exchange is pretty straightforward, with LG Electronics France very confidently claiming the Android 4.4 update is planned for “this October”, so there you go, case closed, congrats you lucky Optimus G owners.

Sorry to be a party pooper, but not so fast, because I’m not buying it. For one thing, this is a private FB conversation (emphasis on “private”), meaning it could have very easily been doctored since there’s no real, palpable proof it ever happened.

And even if it happened (jeez, I’m starting to sound like a character on the show “Newsroom”), social media people have been known to mess up dates, names and timeframes. What if they were actually talking about a 4.2 or 4.3 upgrade and misinterpreted the question?

Then again (now I’m just grasping at straws), it’s not sooo far-fetched to think LG will get a front-row seat at the 4.4 rollout party. After all, they are making the Nexus 5, they’ve also helped build the N4, so maybe they’ve asked Big G for a bit of preferential treatment for a change. Could that be the case, what do you guys think?

HTML Code:
http://thedroidguy.com/2013/10/lg-seemingly-confirms-android-4-4-kitkat-update-headed-optimus-g-october/
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Greatness83 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

konman21
Old
Thanks Meter 89
Sweet... Can't wait....
Hoping for slow motion to be cooked in..

AFschizoid
Old
Thanks Meter 99
Well if I were the optimistic type about these things then I would say awesome, but I don't know. Is lg part of the Android open handset alliance (or whatever they call it) that guarantees updates for 18 months after a phone comes out? Even if they are anyone remember the Motorola fiasco? Motorola says they'll upgrade a bunch of handsets then after those handsets are sold they backed out, making a lot of people very angry. Idk I would take this with a grain of salt

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk 4
The Following User Says Thank You to AFschizoid For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jamaicamike
Old
Thanks Meter 9
True we will see I hope they do its a bad ass phone worthy of the upgrade

Sent from my LG-LS970 using xda app-developers app

AFschizoid
Old
Thanks Meter 99
This is a really good phone and I would love to see it get 4.4 but idk since we haven't even gotten 4.2 let alone 4.3

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk 4

rdpollard
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Here's to hoping...

Sent from my LG-LS970 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to rdpollard For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

shabbypenguin
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 4732

DONATE TO ME
lg doesnt exactly have an amazing track record of updating devices.

they had teh nexus 4 which hardware similar enough to this should have meant easy updates to 4.2/4.3 for them, yet nothing...
If you feel as though my work is worth something, you can alwaysDonate

AFschizoid
Old
Thanks Meter 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by shabbypenguin View Post
lg doesnt exactly have an amazing track record of updating devices.

they had teh nexus 4 which hardware similar enough to this should have meant easy updates to 4.2/4.3 for them, yet nothing...
yeah no joke aside from partition differences and screen shape/size i thought all the internals were the exact same?

jamaicamike
Old
Thanks Meter 9
I think what it is is some apps don't work on 4.3 like HBO go cause my buddy has a nexus and he can't use it thinks his phone is rooted but on my ootimus I got it and starz go and encore etc so idk lol

sharkboy0901
Old
Thanks Meter 665

DONATE TO ME
There is almost no possible way they would would jump 2 versions, one maybe but two, I doubt it.