Question [Q] GPS Tracking Farm Equipment with LG Androids - i <3 these things

OP nanobrick

20th May 2014, 09:15 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

6 posts
I've been obsessed with the L38c from LG for a couple months now. I've torn them down and used the bare android board for all sorts of "Android inside" projects.

I just started working for a small farm in Florida. They are really interested in using the cheap (<$20) phones as GPS trackers for equipment and vehicles on their property. I have a bit of a background in Android programming and development and started working on a few applications that will eventually run on these LGs and pump out raw GPS/accelerometer data to an on-site server via wifi. The plan is to relay this info visually on the farm's "live map" software.

Unfortunately, I've only been able to spend time on this project very sporadically. I'd like to have some kind of demo that I can present to the shot-callers that own the farm, that sort of gets my concepts through to them in a quick and neat fashion. They are coming back into town next week.

Does anyone know of either an existing system that I can use to show several devices location overlaid on a Google map or similar? It doesn't have to be very elaborate. I just need to get the point across that it is possible to do and show them just how easy it can be to track almost anything they can think of.

I drew most of my initial inspiration from a very old (think late G1 era) application that no longer exists. It was some kind of awkward social app that was targeted at the golfing community for some reason. It was interesting because you could link up a bunch of people on your "team" and know where everyone was.

I tend to over-explain myself on these kinds of discussion boards, so thanks for your time if you kept up with me so far.
Last edited by nanobrick; 20th May 2014 at 09:43 PM.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread