Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,734,036 Members 51,997 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Just bought a new 10 with 4.2.1 on it Should I update to KitKat?

Tip us?

alnova1
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 71
Default Just bought a new 10 with 4.2.1 on it Should I update to KitKat?

I just got a new Nexus 10 at Walmart for $350 and was wondering if I should update to KitKat? I have seen several people complaining about it. Or should I just root and install a custom rom....although it seems like there aren't a lot of choices anymore. Do you have one that you would recommend also? Thanks
Sprint LG G2 on Verizon Prepaid. Galaxy S5 on Boost and Nokia 1020 on Straight Talk AT&T

Khaon
Old
Thanks Meter 64
Well KitKat is really recommended over past versions : it does consumes less RAM and has overall better performance. Furthermore you can find a bunch of good ROMs around: Omni, slimkat, CM,..

Envoyé de mon Nexus 10 en utilisant Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Khaon For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mrgnex
Old
Thanks Meter 268
Yes just upgrade.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA Free mobile app
SΛMSUNG/Google Galaxy Nexus
ROM: Vanir Nightly
Kernel: A.S.K.P. Patty Remix

SΛMSUNG/Google Nexus 10
ROM: Vanir Nightly
Kernel: Stock Vanir
The Following User Says Thank You to mrgnex For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

alnova1
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 71
Thanks for the info guys.
Sprint LG G2 on Verizon Prepaid. Galaxy S5 on Boost and Nokia 1020 on Straight Talk AT&T

captican
Old
Thanks Meter 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by alnova1 View Post
I just got a new Nexus 10 at Walmart for $350 and was wondering if I should update to KitKat? I have seen several people complaining about it. Or should I just root and install a custom rom....although it seems like there aren't a lot of choices anymore. Do you have one that you would recommend also? Thanks
I was hesitant also, bought mine about two weeks ago, and have had none of the issues on 4.4.2 that some reported on the first version of 4.4.
Samsung i747 - AOKP by Task650 (kitkat 4.4.4)
Nexus 10 - OmniROM (homebuild by scanno)

alnova1
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by captican View Post
I was hesitant also, bought mine about two weeks ago, and have had none of the issues on 4.4.2 that some reported on the first version of 4.4.
That's good to know. Updated to 4.3 but not 4.4 yet. Will probably go ahead and do it. Just curious where did you get yours?

captican
Old
(Last edited by captican; 31st May 2014 at 10:19 PM.) Reason: spelling and content
Thanks Meter 40
Quote:
That's good to know. Updated to 4.3 but not 4.4 yet. Will probably go ahead and do it. Just curious where did you get yours?
When I first set up the tablet, it notified me of an update from 4.2 to 4.3. As soon add I updated, I received another notification that an update was ready for 4.2. I waited about a week, since I had read about some having problems with the initial rollout. I updated to the latest version once I decided that I was going to unlock and root my Nexus 10 (haven't loaded a custom ROM yet).

I received the both update via download (settings > about tablet > system update) . I received notification once I logged into my Google account.

alnova1
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 71
Quote:
When I first set up the tablet, it notified me of an update from 4.2 to 4.3. As soon add I updated, I received another notification that an update was ready for 4.2. I waited about a week, since I had read about some having problems with the initial rollout. I updated to the latest version once I decided that I was going to unlock and root my Nexus 10 (haven't loaded a custom ROM yet).

I received the both update via download (settings > about tablet > system update) . I received notification once I logged into my Google account.
My fault. I meant where did you buy your Nexus 10 and did you get a good deal?

captican
Old
Thanks Meter 40
Quote:
My fault. I meant where did you buy your Nexus 10 and did you get a good deal?
About $375 on amazon for 32mg model.

alnova1
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 71
Quote:
About $375 on amazon for 32mg model.
OK. I guess the deal I got at Walmart wasn't too bad. I started to wait it out and see if they came down any lower. They have had four at $350 for a while and know one had touched them. Still going to keep an eye on the rest of them. Liking the 10 so far.

XDA PORTAL POSTS

TWRP Now Available for the LG G Watch and Samsung Gear Live

Over the past week or so, we’ve talkedquite a bit about the first … more

Slate Calendar Helps You Organize Your Life

Without calendars in some form or another, most of our lives would be utter chaos. Unless you are … more

Shane Francis to Talk Android, Robotics, and Vision at XDA:DevCon 2014

Our international xda:devcon 14in Manchester, UK on the weekend of … more

LG G Watch Tool is a Toolkit all Owners Need

The LG G Watch is one of the first two devices hitting the market rocking the highly anticipated … more