APKTool Updated with Android Lollipop Support

One of the beauties of Android is the level of flexibility we have over our devices. Whether … more

Lollipop Leak for Sprint Galaxy S5, TWRP for Micromax Canvas Magnus – XDA TV

Android 5.0 Lollipop has been leaked for the Sprint … more

Velocity is Like OpenTable on Steroids

We all enjoy a night out with friends or our significant other from time to time. However, there is … more

Android Lollipop Lands for the Sony Xperia Z Ultra

The undisputed king of the beasts–at least in Sony’s current stable,is the … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

Just bought a new 10 with 4.2.1 on it Should I update to KitKat?

OP alnova1

31st May 2014, 04:51 PM   |  #1  
alnova1's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 72
 
618 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2009
I just got a new Nexus 10 at Walmart for $350 and was wondering if I should update to KitKat? I have seen several people complaining about it. Or should I just root and install a custom rom....although it seems like there aren't a lot of choices anymore. Do you have one that you would recommend also? Thanks
31st May 2014, 04:58 PM   |  #2  
Senior Member
Flag Louvain-la-Neuve, Belgium
Thanks Meter: 281
 
381 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2012
Donate to Me
More
Well KitKat is really recommended over past versions : it does consumes less RAM and has overall better performance. Furthermore you can find a bunch of good ROMs around: Omni, slimkat, CM,..

Envoyé de mon Nexus 10 en utilisant Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Khaon For This Useful Post: [ View ]
31st May 2014, 05:08 PM   |  #3  
mrgnex's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Vlaardingen
Thanks Meter: 301
 
1,047 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2013
More
Yes just upgrade.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA Free mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to mrgnex For This Useful Post: [ View ]
31st May 2014, 05:36 PM   |  #4  
alnova1's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 72
 
618 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2009
Thanks for the info guys.
31st May 2014, 08:09 PM   |  #5  
captican's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 40
 
138 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by alnova1

I just got a new Nexus 10 at Walmart for $350 and was wondering if I should update to KitKat? I have seen several people complaining about it. Or should I just root and install a custom rom....although it seems like there aren't a lot of choices anymore. Do you have one that you would recommend also? Thanks

I was hesitant also, bought mine about two weeks ago, and have had none of the issues on 4.4.2 that some reported on the first version of 4.4.
31st May 2014, 08:45 PM   |  #6  
alnova1's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 72
 
618 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by captican

I was hesitant also, bought mine about two weeks ago, and have had none of the issues on 4.4.2 that some reported on the first version of 4.4.

That's good to know. Updated to 4.3 but not 4.4 yet. Will probably go ahead and do it. Just curious where did you get yours?
31st May 2014, 09:12 PM   |  #7  
captican's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 40
 
138 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by alnova1

That's good to know. Updated to 4.3 but not 4.4 yet. Will probably go ahead and do it. Just curious where did you get yours?

When I first set up the tablet, it notified me of an update from 4.2 to 4.3. As soon add I updated, I received another notification that an update was ready for 4.2. I waited about a week, since I had read about some having problems with the initial rollout. I updated to the latest version once I decided that I was going to unlock and root my Nexus 10 (haven't loaded a custom ROM yet).

I received the both update via download (settings > about tablet > system update) . I received notification once I logged into my Google account.
Last edited by captican; 31st May 2014 at 11:19 PM. Reason: spelling and content
31st May 2014, 11:28 PM   |  #8  
alnova1's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 72
 
618 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by captican

When I first set up the tablet, it notified me of an update from 4.2 to 4.3. As soon add I updated, I received another notification that an update was ready for 4.2. I waited about a week, since I had read about some having problems with the initial rollout. I updated to the latest version once I decided that I was going to unlock and root my Nexus 10 (haven't loaded a custom ROM yet).

I received the both update via download (settings > about tablet > system update) . I received notification once I logged into my Google account.

My fault. I meant where did you buy your Nexus 10 and did you get a good deal?
31st May 2014, 11:40 PM   |  #9  
captican's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 40
 
138 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by alnova1

My fault. I meant where did you buy your Nexus 10 and did you get a good deal?

About $375 on amazon for 32mg model.
1st June 2014, 12:32 AM   |  #10  
alnova1's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 72
 
618 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by captican

About $375 on amazon for 32mg model.

OK. I guess the deal I got at Walmart wasn't too bad. I started to wait it out and see if they came down any lower. They have had four at $350 for a while and know one had touched them. Still going to keep an eye on the rest of them. Liking the 10 so far.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes