[EOL][RECOVERY] Modified CWM (non-touch) for port to all MTK phones[EOL]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

bluefirebird

Mar 23, 2013
carliv.eu
This is a Clockworkmod modified (very) recovery.
DISCLAIMER:
Rooting your phone and using custom Recoveries and ROMS have risks and may result in bricking your device, and has nothing to do with Google or the device manufacturers. In case of any mishap I am not responsible if you brick/ruin your phone in any way.
Basic computer skills are required and minimal knowledges about phones and phones utilities too.
Make sure that whatever you do, you are doing it at your own responsibility.

Update (21-apr-2015):

This is the last batch of builds for porting. I won't do that anymore.
- new GUI theme;
- an extra version with swipe touch support;
- cleaned up the source code;
- reset battery stats option;
- wipe all - preflash option;
- removed nvram backup/restore because it can corrupt the bootloader;
-full track of changes here.

I used it as base for my touch recovery. Basically is a CWM 6.0.3.7 for jellybean and CWM 6.0.5.1 for kitkat modified by me with many extra features.
- aroma file manager menu
- rainbow mode menu
- separate power menu
- separate wipe menu
- nvram backup/restore menu
- advanced backup/restore menu
- toggle signature, toggle md5sum.

To port it follow my new guide from here
All screenshots are made with my new tool from here.
For jellybean version currently there are two lunfile paths in the world of mtk phones. This will make your USB Mass storage to work in recovery or not. Search that path in your device to see what you have.
  • Lunfile path 1 (old): "/sys/devices/platform/mt_usb/gadget/lun%d/file" - this can be found in many devices mt6572, mt6589, mt6589T, and other old ones.
  • Lunfile path 2 (new): "/sys/devices/platform/mt_usb/musb-hdrc.0/gadget/lun%d/file" - this is related to new devices mt6582, mt6592...
Find where is your path and download the image to port from correct section.
Depending of your resolution width, choose an image which contains exactly that value or one close to it, and follow the tutorial to port it.

CREDITS:
- Philz-cwm6 - for get partition size method;
- C3C0 - for initial mtk tweack hint - Unused now;
- Koush and all CWM team for the recovery;
- bgcngm for unpack/repack utils;
- sk8erwitskil for aromafm menu

RULES for posting your ports!
If you managed to port this to your device, add proper credits in your thread, post or article.

Last edited:

bluefirebird

Mar 23, 2013
carliv.eu
Nvm. Got a black screen same with CTR recovery. Any help? :)

Usually that means the recovery is bigger than the recovery partition. It happens in some devices with an unusually big kernel (I saw kernels with 4.7 Mb for a recovery at 6 Mb - not much room for ramdisk). Other thing is if you use MobileUncleTools to flash it - this doesn't work in some cases, and you need to flash it with SPFT. Remember, if you have a small partition, any recovery bigger than 5.9 Mb (you need some reserved space) will not work. You can try to shrink some images, or to replace them with blank dummy pngs, but not for stitch and buttons. These have to remain in rgb format, otherwise you have that black screen again, and the phone will reboot to system.

gatgat23

Feb 10, 2013
Quezon City
Usually that means the recovery is bigger than the recovery partition. It happens in some devices with an unusually big kernel (I saw kernels with 4.7 Mb for a recovery at 6 Mb - not much room for ramdisk). Other thing is if you use MobileUncleTools to flash it - this doesn't work in some cases, and you need to flash it with SPFT. Remember, if you have a small partition, any recovery bigger than 5.9 Mb (you need some reserved space) will not work. You can try to shrink some images, or to replace them with blank dummy pngs, but not for stitch and buttons. These have to remain in rgb format, otherwise you have that black screen again, and the phone will reboot to system.

My device's recovery partition got 6MB. Ported recovery got 5.4MB.
I actually used MobileUncleTool to flash, then I tried to flash using SPFT.
Same issue, black screen. Need to reinsert battery to reboot. :)

bluefirebird

Mar 23, 2013
carliv.eu
My device's recovery partition got 6MB. Ported recovery got 5.4MB.
I actually used MobileUncleTool to flash, then I tried to flash using SPFT.
Same issue, black screen. Need to reinsert battery to reboot. :)

Try to access the recovery log from temp directory (cache/recovery/last.log), after that happens. If there is nothing there, than the phone didn't even boot in recovery, otherwise you will see where it's stuck.

Reactions: tedyman and yuweng

gatgat23

Feb 10, 2013
Quezon City
I think it actually didn't boot recovery.
Log's showing what I did when I was still on Stock Recovery. (Wipe data/cache)
Even the .prop values are using stock ones. (I changed adb secure, debuggable, etc in the one I ported.)

bovirus

Oct 7, 2007
@carliv
Thanks for your activity.

Are this recovery compatible with most recent Mediatel ROM based on Android 4.4?

bluefirebird

Mar 23, 2013
carliv.eu
@carliv
Thanks for your activity.

Are this recovery compatible with most recent Mediatel ROM based on Android 4.4?

All my recoveries are compiled on cm-10.1 building environment and in theory they will work better with kernels built for android 4.2 top (in these builds are missing sepolicy files and all selinux related files), but some users report that they used it for flashing and backup lenovo kitkat (vibeUI something) and it was successfull. I can't test that, but my advice is if you have an official Android 4.4 mtk powered phone, I'm sure the recovery partition is bigger than 6Mb, and for that I would recommend you PhilZ recovery if you want to stay on CWM base, or TWRP. I made my recoveries with only one reason in mind: to be small enough to fit a recovery partition of 6Mb.

bovirus

Oct 7, 2007
Thanks for the explanation. What's about Androdi 4.3 compatibility? Like 4.4 ?

Recovery compatibility

Android 4.2.x - OK
Android 4.3.x - ?
Android 4.4.x - ?

Note: personally I like the non touch recovery.

Do you have a link for Philz recovery for Mediatek chipset?

Thanks again.

bluefirebird

Mar 23, 2013
carliv.eu
Thanks for the explanation. What's about Androdi 4.3 compatibility? Like 4.4 ?

Recovery compatibility

Android 4.2.x - OK
Android 4.3.x - ?
Android 4.4.x - ?

Note: personally I like the non touch recovery.

Do you have a link for Philz recovery for Mediatek chipset?

Thanks again.

I think it should work in Android 4.3 but I have no feedback on it. The reason is there are very few mtk devices with Android 4.3 or 4.4 (real not spoofed), and I didn't tested personally any of them.

For PhilZ recovery you can check his official thread http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2201860 , that support mtk devices nativelly, but you must compile it in cm-11 source,
or the mtk dedicated one started by my friend @yuweng here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2748169

bovirus

Oct 7, 2007
The PhilZ recovery require many times a recovery partition bigger than 6MB.

In many acses teh recovery partition is limirted to 6MB.

For this if you can create your recovery from CW11 (compatible with KK) you can sue it.

bluefirebird

Mar 23, 2013
carliv.eu
The PhilZ recovery require many times a recovery partition bigger than 6MB.

In many acses teh recovery partition is limirted to 6MB.

For this if you can create your recovery from CW11 (compatible with KK) you can sue it.

If a mtk phone gets Kitkat then I assure you the recovery and boot partition will be increased by producer in that firmware along with the new kernel. The 6Mb partition is specific to 4.1.x-4.2.2 devices. For these even my recovery, if it's built in CM11, will oversize 6 Mb because of the new modules.

Last edited:

superkryo

Feb 1, 2005
gzip support

Thanks for this non-touch version! Can you update to include the gzip support as in the latest touch version? Thanks.

phonefromchina

May 25, 2012
CWM Recovery MTK 6.0.3.7 carliv non-touch

Hi all!

I just combined some scripts to have a auto make custum recovery.
It is based on BM / michfood / yuweng / carliv work! Version 2014-06-29. See beginning of this thread.

Thank you!

usage: cwmr.bat stock-recovery.img

MTK6575 and MTK6577 tested. May work with MTK6589... (option 3 -> MTK6577)?
It is a question if fstab is matching. It is complete batch source, so you can adapt to alternate partition tabel.

Have fun!

EDIT:
What I did:
I took "old lunfile path" "normal font" file from carliv first thread, I extracted it and added to some old scripts from yuweng (I cannot find anymore to download). I tested it and made it public to all.

Attachments

• CWMRecovery-MTK-6.0.3.7-carliv-non-touch.7z
    3.3 MB · Views: 285
Last edited:

bovirus

Oct 7, 2007
The latest CWM is 6.0.4.4 and Carliv release this update. Should be possible to aplly it?

Last edited:

phonefromchina

May 25, 2012
Well, I am not sure about what I understand. You can use my upload and mod it any way you like. I hope to have helped to get latest CWM Recovery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is a Clockworkmod modified (very) recovery.
    DISCLAIMER:
    Rooting your phone and using custom Recoveries and ROMS have risks and may result in bricking your device, and has nothing to do with Google or the device manufacturers. In case of any mishap I am not responsible if you brick/ruin your phone in any way.
    Basic computer skills are required and minimal knowledges about phones and phones utilities too.
    Make sure that whatever you do, you are doing it at your own responsibility.

Update (21-apr-2015):

- new GUI theme;

I used it as base for my touch recovery. Basically is a CWM 6.0.3.7 for jellybean and CWM 6.0.5.1 for kitkat modified by me with many extra features.
    - aroma file manager menu
    - rainbow mode menu
    - separate power menu
    - separate wipe menu
    - nvram backup/restore menu
    - advanced backup/restore menu
    - toggle signature, toggle md5sum.

To port it follow my new guide from here
    All screenshots are made with my new tool from here.
    For jellybean version currently there are two lunfile paths in the world of mtk phones. This will make your USB Mass storage to work in recovery or not. Search that path in your device to see what you have.
    • Lunfile path 1 (old): "/sys/devices/platform/mt_usb/gadget/lun%d/file" - this can be found in many devices mt6572, mt6589, mt6589T, and other old ones.
    • Lunfile path 2 (new): "/sys/devices/platform/mt_usb/musb-hdrc.0/gadget/lun%d/file" - this is related to new devices mt6582, mt6592...
    Find where is your path and download the image to port from correct section.
    Depending of your resolution width, choose an image which contains exactly that value or one close to it, and follow the tutorial to port it.

CREDITS:
    - Philz-cwm6 - for get partition size method;
    - C3C0 - for initial mtk tweack hint - Unused now;
    - Koush and all CWM team for the recovery;
    - bgcngm for unpack/repack utils;
    - sk8erwitskil for aromafm menu

RULES for posting your ports!
    If you managed to port this to your device, add proper credits in your thread, post or article.
    Nvm. Got a black screen same with CTR recovery. Any help? :)

Last update.

Update (21-apr-2015):

- new GUI theme;

Check the OP.
    i am having an error at the end of unpacking ? how can i solve this problem?

Please be on topic. What you ask is for michfood's thread, not mine.
    All images work and can be unpacked in right environment.
    Check this: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=51440952&postcount=22
    and this: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=53290995&postcount=27
    Also you can read more posts on that page, because all are about those errors.
    Of course, I assume that you have disabled any firewall and antivirus while you work with these tools.