Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,778,176 Members 51,300 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] My poor VZW Note II softbricked, help!

Tip us?

redrol
Old
(Last edited by redrol; 24th May 2014 at 12:27 AM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 13
Unhappy [Q] My poor VZW Note II softbricked, help!

Ok this phone was purchased bootloader unlocked with 4.1.2 and I loaded JellyBeans ROM. It worked great. Recently I upgraded to 4.3 Alliance ROM which I think is the sucessor to Beans. Anyhow, nothing special was going on, using the Alliance Kernel.

I had been running like this for a few weeks, and switched wifi on. The phone rebooted and never booted again. Now it just reboots over and over. If I get into TeamWin Recovery it shows the Teamwin loader screen background and then black screen and reboot.

So at this point I can't get into recovery. I did try ODIN download mode and that at least worked.

The point I am at is I never originally unlocked this phone and I think if I odin back to stock 4.1.2 it will be back to the locked bootloader.. and then I am supposed to run the root hack.

The part I get fuzzy on is the details. I don't know what 4.1.2's stock ODIN files are called and also the proper Root exploit. I am reading but do NOT want to screw this up.

Any advice is much appreciated!

[edit]OK , after reading I tried ODIN'ing root66_vzw_stock and while it completed sucessfully, the exact same thing happens, reboot after the Teamwin recovery loader screen and also booting normally. I did also repartition using the PIT file.
I guess this is bricked?

mattnmag
Old
(Last edited by mattnmag; 24th May 2014 at 12:55 AM.)
Thanks Meter 42
@redrol

Root66 does not restore to full factory stock...and it sounds like you're wanting to restore back to stock 4.1.2 VRAMC3. As long as you never took an OTA for anything above 4.1.2, you should able to do this. Droidstyle has written a great guide to help with this. You can find the guide here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=34891181

Under section 1b, Droidstyle gives links to all the files and steps needed to restore the phone. If you're wanting to factory restore to VRAMC3, you would need to choose the download link for the "Official VRAMC3 4.1.2 5/5/13" stock restore image, along with the 16gb pit file to restore the phone to full stock.... and follow Droidstyle's steps to Odin flash those 2 files back to the device. (I'm guessing that you have used Odin before, so you probably know this... but it takes a while for Odin to do the restore... so I found that I had to be patient while waiting for Odin to give a green "pass" message before unplugging the phone. I think it took about 10 or 15 minutes for me when I did it). If everything goes right and you get a pass in Odin, then the software should be restored to how it was when it arrived to you before you rooted it. Make sure to hit the thanks button for Droidstyle for his hard work with the guide.

After you restore to stock... then you can use Adam Outler's Casual program to reroot and unlock the bootloader on VRAMC3. Adam's guide is here-- http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2272066

The version of Casual that worked for me was R515.... just make sure you totally disable all virus scanning on your computer before running it.. including Windows Defender...

Good luck!!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Current Devices:
Verizon Samsung Note II & Sony Xperia Play R800x

Past Devices:
Verizon Samsung S3
Verizon Droid Charge
Asus TF201

redrol
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattnmag View Post
@redrol

Root66 does not restore to full factory stock...and it sounds like you're wanting to restore back to stock 4.1.2 VRAMC3. As long as you never took an OTA for anything above 4.1.2, you should able to do this. Droidstyle has written a great guide to help with this. You can find the guide here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=34891181

Under section 1b, Droidstyle gives links to all the files and steps needed to restore the phone. If you're wanting to factory restore to VRAMC3, you would need to choose the download link for the "Official VRAMC3 4.1.2 5/5/13" stock restore image, along with the 16gb pit file to restore the phone to full stock.... and follow Droidstyle's steps to Odin flash those 2 files back to the device. (I'm guessing that you have used Odin before, so you probably know this... but it takes a while for Odin to do the restore... so I found that I had to be patient while waiting for Odin to give a green "pass" message before unplugging the phone. I think it took about 10 or 15 minutes for me when I did it). If everything goes right and you get a pass in Odin, then the software should be restored to how it was when it arrived to you before you rooted it. Make sure to hit the thanks button for Droidstyle for his hard work with the guide.

Thank you so much. This was the information I was lacking, I will do the stock VRAMC3. I didn't know that Root66 isn't a full factory restore. And yes, never took an OTA update so the bootloader should still be unlocked.

d73jester
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default my noob 2 cents

I had a similar issue the past week, I soft bricked my phone in an attempt to upgrade to 4.3 firmware. it didnt like my jellywiz rom i had installed. i had to get to bootloader and use odin to restore my phone. i used root66 and sch-i605-16gb.pit. this restored my phone to stock appearance but also rooted my phone (superuser installed).

redrol
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 13
OK thank you so much for that information. ODINing back to VRAMC3 did get it back to booting order. This is great. I did have to do a data wipe as well using the stock recovery.

Now how to get root back..? Time to read.
The Following User Says Thank You to redrol For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mattnmag
Old
Thanks Meter 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by redrol View Post
OK thank you so much for that information. ODINing back to VRAMC3 did get it back to booting order. This is great. I did have to do a data wipe as well using the stock recovery.

Now how to get root back..? Time to read.
I had added this to my earlier post.... but I don't think you saw it.

After you restore to stock... then you can use Adam Outler's Casual program to reroot and unlock the bootloader on VRAMC3. Adam's guide is here-- http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2272066

The version of Casual that worked for me was R515.... just make sure you totally disable all virus scanning on your computer before running it.. including Windows Defender...

Good luck!!

PS: glad to hear you got it working again

Current Devices:
Verizon Samsung Note II & Sony Xperia Play R800x

Past Devices:
Verizon Samsung S3
Verizon Droid Charge
Asus TF201
Tags
note ii, odin, root, softbrick, verizon