Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,734,346 Members 47,056 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Lcd density

Tip us?

hendav
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 74
Default Lcd density

What lines do we edit in build.prop to change the lcd density? Also, does anyone recommend a particular density that works well?

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

Android.Ninja
Old
(Last edited by Android.Ninja; 7th March 2014 at 02:39 AM.)
Thanks Meter 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendav View Post
What lines do we edit in build.prop to change the lcd density? Also, does anyone recommend a particular density that works well?

270 DPI is excellent. See mine below. PLENTY of real estate on that screen now! Oh yeah. And still got room for more.
I personally use jrummy app called "ROM toolbox Pro" however only for changing the DPI.
Here's the link:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...rty.toolboxpro

Developers don't need no stinkin' signature!
If I've been able to help you, please hit the "Thanks" button.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Android.Ninja For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

muzzy996
Old
Thanks Meter 144
Doesn't this affect the size of the on screen keyboard? Stock the size of landscape keyboard is good but reducing the density value seemed to reduce my keyboard size and shifted the keys to the left leaving a gray margin on the right side.
The Following User Says Thank You to muzzy996 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Android.Ninja
Old
Thanks Meter 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzy996 View Post
Doesn't this affect the size of the on screen keyboard? Stock the size of landscape keyboard is good but reducing the density value seemed to reduce my keyboard size and shifted the keys to the left leaving a gray margin on the right side.
Yep, sorry I forgot to mention that! I did have to make some corrections to the software on my own to fix that. My keyboard is full size after the modification. I've been using the keyboard at full size for so long that I forgot that small detail. if you're not good at programming you can always download "Xposed installer" and the module labeled "App Settings." This would allow you to manually change the DPI settings on individual components like the keyboard, programs, notify actions etc. If you need help I'll be glad to help out if I can.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Android.Ninja For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

hendav
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Android.Ninja View Post
Yep, sorry I forgot to mention that! I did have to make some corrections to the software on my own to fix that. My keyboard is full size after the modification. I've been using the keyboard at full size for so long that I forgot that small detail. if you're not good at programming you can always download "Xposed installer" and the module labeled "App Settings." This would allow you to manually change the DPI settings on individual components like the keyboard, programs, notify actions etc. If you need help I'll be glad to help out if I can.

Thanks man, what did you do in the app settings for the keyboard, just change the DPI from 0 to 320?

Android.Ninja
Old
Thanks Meter 256
Quote:
Thanks man, what did you do in the app settings for the keyboard, just change the DPI from 0 to 320?

Yup, I think that will work.

---------- Post added at 12:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:13 PM ----------

Quote:

I went ahead and tested that out to be absolutely sure it would work, and it does. Just be sure when you go to "Samsung Keyboard" in the list and change it to 320 DPI, that you click on permissions and turn it on. (There's a slide on - off switch)

The Following User Says Thank You to Android.Ninja For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

rkirmeier
Old
Thanks Meter 58
This is one of the first things I'm doing when I root it! Why Samsung didn't do this from the factory beats me!

hendav
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 74
Quote:
Yup, I think that will work.

---------- Post added at 12:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:13 PM ----------

I went ahead and tested that out to be absolutely sure it would work, and it does. Just be sure when you go to "Samsung Keyboard" in the list and change it to 320 DPI, that you click on permissions and turn it on. (There's a slide on - off switch)

I made the adjustment and it worked great for the full layout keyboard but when I go to floating or the split it cuts out part of the keyboard. Let me know if that happens to you too. Thanks for your help.

The Following User Says Thank You to hendav For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Android.Ninja
Old
(Last edited by Android.Ninja; 7th March 2014 at 08:38 PM.)
Thanks Meter 256
Quote:
I made the adjustment and it worked great for the full layout keyboard but when I go to floating or the split it cuts out part of the keyboard. Let me know if that happens to you too. Thanks for your help.

No problem at all. 😊 I think there's another place where we need to change the DPI to 320. 💻Let me do some testing to figure it out and as soon as I do I'll post it right here for you. Thanks!

The Following User Says Thank You to Android.Ninja For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

rkirmeier
Old
Thanks Meter 58
Quote:
No problem at all. 😊 I think there's another place where we need to change the DPI to 320. 💻Let me do some testing to figure it out and as soon as I do I'll post it right here for you. Thanks!

Any update on this? I generally use the floating keyboard as I have found it swiping with one hand works great on this tablet but I would really like a normal looking standard keyboard. If you fixed the issue via code could you share the code/process?