Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,805,734 Members 40,880 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Recent issues with overheating

Tip us?

USFguy
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 40
Default [Q] Recent issues with overheating

I'm on the latest ViperXL using stock kernel and without having any app running my phone is discharging battery at 18-21% per hour according to GSAM this is with wifi/bluetooth/GPS/mobile data all OFF the temp is also staying around 110 degrees again according to GSAM.

I haven't done anything new or different I was using ElementalX but switched to stock and the issue is still there I went from getting 1.5-2 days of use to getting 6 hours if I'm lucky, any suggestions?

timmaaa
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 6,206

DONATE TO ME
How's your signal strength? Not the bars (they're pretty ambiguous) but the actual signal strength measured in dBm in Settings/About Phone/Network. Have you investigated whether something (an app or process) is causing a wakelock?

Sent from my Evita
OnePlus One | crDroid/AK | TWRP 2.7.1.1

Do not PM me asking for assistance, that's what my Q&A thread is for!

USFguy
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmaaa View Post
How's your signal strength? Not the bars (they're pretty ambiguous) but the actual signal strength measured in dBm in Settings/About Phone/Network. Have you investigated whether something (an app or process) is causing a wakelock?

Sent from my Evita
RSRP: -114
RSRQ: -16

the radio keeps bouncing from LTE to other bands (I'm hom visting)

The first night I had wakelocks from google services then I flashed stock kernel and those stopped.

timmaaa
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 6,206

DONATE TO ME
If your signal is averaging out at -116dBm it's pretty bad, really bad actually. My first thought would be that that's what's causing the battery drain and heat. Especially if this behaviour has started happening since you've been visiting home?

Sent from my Evita

USFguy
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 40
Quote:
If your signal is averaging out at -116dBm it's pretty bad, really bad actually. My first thought would be that that's what's causing the battery drain and heat. Especially if this behaviour has started happening since you've been visiting home?

Sent from my Evita
Yup the week I've been back has been the worst week for battery life, I was ready to get a new phone but I'll monitor how it does I head back to my place tonight

timmaaa
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 6,206

DONATE TO ME
I'd put money on it improving once you're outta there.

Sent from my Evita

redpoint73
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2,985
The title of the thread refers to an overheating issue, but as timmaaa has discussed, it seems like your real issue is power drain.

Power drain goes hand in hand with heat generation, that is just a fact of how computers work. Solve the power issue, and the heat issue will go away.

And 110F is warm, but not anywhere close to the kind of heat required to damage the hardware of the phone, if that is what you are concerned about.
Please click the "Thanks" button if you found a post helpful!

Phone: AT&T HTC One (M8)

Tablet: Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 (WiFi only)

USFguy
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 40
Sorry didn't mean to hijack the other thread.

So my phone was plugged in from my post 3 hours ago and still no inication from LED or detection via USB to laptop =(

timmaaa
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 6,206

DONATE TO ME
Is it showing up as QHSUSB_DLOAD in Decide Manager on your PC? Have you tried holding down the power button? Or holding power + volume down? Try both with and without the power connected.

Sent from my Evita

USFguy
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 40
Quote:
Is it showing up as QHSUSB_DLOAD in Decide Manager on your PC? Have you tried holding down the power button? Or holding power + volume down? Try both with and without the power connected.

Sent from my Evita
Negative with the device manager nothing is registering as being attached via USB with 2 different micro USB cables.

Negative holding any number of buttons connected or not results in no flashing of the BLN or LED after 15 seconds of pressing