Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,812,579 Members 43,656 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] How to reset password, when data and wi-fi are turned off?

Tip us?

mikemyersgnex
Old
(Last edited by mikemyersgnex; 26th November 2013 at 07:00 PM.) Reason: typo
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Unhappy [Q] How to reset password, when data and wi-fi are turned off?

My friend has Samsung GT-S6102, and in trying to change the pattern lock, he did something wrong, and now is locked out.

The next step is to enter his Google account login and password, which will let him log on and create a new pattern lock. The problem is, the phone has Wi-Fi and Data turned off.

I think he is now dead in the water, with no options left but to factory-reset the phone.

Is there any way to get the phone to connect to Google, even with Data and Wi-Fi not connected? If we could get 'data' or 'wi-fi' on, we would be all set - but unless there is some diagnostic way to do this from a connected PC, I can't see much else we can do.

parkourkarthik
Old
Thanks Meter 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemyersgnex View Post
My friend has Samsung GT-S6102, and in trying to change the pattern lock, he did something wrong, and now is locked out.

The next step is to enter his Google account login and password, which will let him log on and create a new pattern lock. The problem is, the phone has Wi-Fi and Data turned off.

I think he is now dead in the water, with no options left but to factory-reset the phone.

Is there any way to get the phone to connect to Google, even with Data and Wi-Fi not connected? If we could get 'data' or 'wi-fi' on, we would be all set - but unless there is some diagnostic way to do this from a connected PC, I can't see much else we can do.
Try rooting the device & flash cwm. Then use aroma filemanager to go to the path, '/data/system' delete the file gesture.key

Hit thanks rather than typing it now Free
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to parkourkarthik For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mikemyersgnex
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkourkarthik View Post
Try rooting the device & flash cwm. Then use aroma filemanager to go to the path, '/data/system' delete the file gesture.key

Hit thanks rather than typing it now Free

How about if I both hit "thanks" (already done!), and also say thanks!!

I've been here to xda-developers before, and now have my own device to use to learn rooting and installing custom ROMs. Haven't done it yet. I suppose this might be a good time to learn, but if I mess up, my friend isn't going to be very happy with me.

Let me ask you two questions - if the device is "locked", how can I even root the device? Doesn't it have to be on, running, and ready for whatever it is I need to do? A second question might be how I find the information here to learn how to 'root' a GT-S6102, but I can try that in the morning, when I'm a bit more awake (am now in India, and it's 1am).

I was thinking there might be some kind of diagnostic code that could be sent to the phone from a PC, even though the USB connection is probably not on right now, to "wake up" the data or wi-fi, which would enable the normal process of connecting to Google to continue.

I think you're suggesting I root the phone and flash a new OS. If there is a way to do that, isn't there a way to just turn on data or wi-fi?
The Following User Says Thank You to mikemyersgnex For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mikemyersgnex
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
I found this from a list of codes:

#*3282# Activate/Deactivate Data

Now, if I could only find a way to get that command to the locked phone....

If I do some of the steps you suggested, can I get to a step where I can give the phone those instructions?

here's the full list:
http://www.netlife.co.za/tech-guides...and-hacks.html
The Following User Says Thank You to mikemyersgnex For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

marcussmith2626
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2,405
1 - questions belong in question & answers section NOT development section
2 - answer has already been given plus iv posted it loads of times so please use search facility

Download aroma file manager & place on route of sd card (take sd card out & put in pc card slot or card reader)
go into CWM (flash temporary cwm zip if kernel doesn't have cwm)
mount system
flash aroma file manager
goto data/system
delete gesture.key
delete password.key
Restart

My Work And Threads For Galaxy Y GT-S5360

My PM is not a Question & Answer thread - Dont treat it as such!

mikemyersgnex
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Default Thanks to all of you!

Sorry for the thread being in the wrong place....

I just came back here to say I found what might be the answer, which in fact originally came from xda-developers.com Here's the link, but since it points back to here, I probably don't even need to post it:
http://androidlegend.com/how-to-crac...ndroid-device/

Anyway, thanks to all of you for your help. Without this thread, I'd never have known where to look for an answer.
Any further questions I will post in the appropriate place.

Himan Boro
Old
Thanks Meter 62
Go In Recovery Mode And Wipe Data and Wipe Cache Partition ..........
The Following User Says Thank You to Himan Boro For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mikemyersgnex
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Thanks to everyone for all the help. It's no longer an issue. They took the phone to a shop and had it reset to new, so it's in effect a brand new phone again. I guess it will at least be faster now.

I find it hard to believe that Google did things this way - it's good for security, but if someone's phone has data and wi-fi off, and a kid plays around with it and it gets locked, they've in effect, killed it.

I guess it's time for me to stop reading, and start doing. That's the only way I'm going to learn this stuff. Again, thanks!

Suranjan16049
Old
Thanks Meter 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemyersgnex View Post
Thanks to everyone for all the help. It's no longer an issue. They took the phone to a shop and had it reset to new, so it's in effect a brand new phone again. I guess it will at least be faster now.

I find it hard to believe that Google did things this way - it's good for security, but if someone's phone has data and wi-fi off, and a kid plays around with it and it gets locked, they've in effect, killed it.

I guess it's time for me to stop reading, and start doing. That's the only way I'm going to learn this stuff. Again, thanks!
did u reset d phone?? if no here is a work around .

1) insert a sim card that has incoming call facility (u must know the sim card no)
2) make a call and receive it
3) don't hang up.. after receiving when u r in call window it will let u access d notification dropdown window.. now u can activate wifi or data network mode as u wish..

so no need to reset!!
PLS PRESS THANKS IF I HELPED U,REMEMBER ITS FREE
Rom - Super Jelly bean Rom v8
kernel - Super Fusion kk
Bootloader status - officially unlocked bootloader
SONY Ericsson Neo v
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Suranjan16049 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

arbayong
Old
Thanks Meter 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suranjan16049 View Post
did u reset d phone?? if no here is a work around .

1) insert a sim card that has incoming call facility (u must know the sim card no)
2) make a call and receive it
3) don't hang up.. after receiving when u r in call window it will let u access d notification dropdown window.. now u can activate wifi or data network mode as u wish..

so no need to reset!!
Thanks. That is ingenious. Will it work on other android versions as well?

Sent from my TECNO P5 using xda app-developers app
My work on XDA:
Let the droids free ....one more thanks will keep me going!!

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Y pro duos - GT-B5512;
Rom: HatyonRomV1.1 (self cooked);
Kernel: Compact kernel V1.2.3
CSC: B55120JVLD1
Baseband: B5512XXLD3

The Following User Says Thank You to arbayong For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Tags
gt-s6102