Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,805,427 Members 42,470 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Surface pro 3 vs Note pro 12

Tip us?

nesx87
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Surface pro 3 vs Note pro 12

my note pro 12 is on the way - however as the surface pro 3 was announced, im sceptical about whether this still remains a good choice. i got it discounted from the original skyrocket prices, for 500GBP.

I suppose surface pro 3 base model will be rather expensive, which makes this choice easier. however it seems that its stylus technology might be better for handwriting

ShadowLea
Old
Thanks Meter 868
You do realize the Surface uses the same Wacom pens?

The design of the Spen, particularly its size, is admittedly very, very inconvenient. It's perfect on my 5.7" Note 3, but on 12.2" it's just too tiny. (And I'm saying that with small female hands. I can't even begin to imagine how you lot must experience it...)

If the pen is the only debating point, try the Wacom Bamboo Feel for Note. It comes in plastic and in carbon, with the latter being a bit more expensive but it feels like a real solid good oldfashioned pen. I'm using it, makes writing so much easier.

http://www.wacom.com/en/de/everyday/...us-feel-carbon
http://www.wacom.com/en/de/everyday/bamboo-stylus-feel

I'll admit the Surface 3 looks tempting. The dealkiller for me is the Intel HD 4400. The demonspawn of the GPU market, those Intel HD's have always been a disgrace to graphic cards. Show me one with an Nvidia card and I'll consider it. I can't run Adobe CS6 on an IntelHD, and I can't game on one, either. So what does that leave me with? The same tablet as I already have. As a designer, Android is simply much more personal.
SM-N9005 International Galaxy Note 3, DBT NB7 Stock
SM-G900F International Galaxy S5, PHN NCE Stock
SM-P905 NotePro 12.2 LTE Black, DBT NC3 Stock

The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it. –Chinese Proverb

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

The simplest solutions are often the cleverest. They are also usually wrong.
The Following User Says Thank You to ShadowLea For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

nesx87
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
I agree with everything above except the fact that the cheapest model is quite cheap with an i3. And they claim that their new pen technology (not wacom) and with the "thinnest" optical stack, is like, very good and improved..

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app

KoryandR
Old
Thanks Meter 15
Surface Pro 3 stylus uses N-Trig technology, not compatible with Wacom.

Enviado desde mi SM-P605 mediante Tapatalk

ShadowLea
Old
Thanks Meter 868
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoryandR View Post
Surface Pro 3 stylus uses N-Trig technology, not compatible with Wacom.
A terrible decision, in my opinion as a digital artist. Wacom has a longstanding reputation in the digital art industry as the best brand used for digital drawing, painting and writing. By everyone from the first beginner (Bamboo) to Hollywood and the largest game studios(Intuos, CintiQ).
SM-N9005 International Galaxy Note 3, DBT NB7 Stock
SM-G900F International Galaxy S5, PHN NCE Stock
SM-P905 NotePro 12.2 LTE Black, DBT NC3 Stock

The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it. –Chinese Proverb

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

The simplest solutions are often the cleverest. They are also usually wrong.
The Following User Says Thank You to ShadowLea For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

KoryandR
Old
(Last edited by KoryandR; 21st May 2014 at 05:43 PM.)
Thanks Meter 15
I guess Microsoft prefers the bigger $$$ from note taking side of business sales. Artists who can afford a Wacom Cintiq Companion may go that way instead (more pressure levels, angle detection, express keys and so).

Enviado desde mi SM-P605 mediante Tapatalk

wingdo
Old
Thanks Meter 50
N-Trig is the stylus tech used in the HTC Flyer wasn't it? Does it still need a separate battery in the stylus to work?

Samsung Galaxy S4: Rooted de-bloated Stock 4.2.2
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014: Stock, rooted, bloat frozen
Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2: Stock, rooted, de-bloated

D1 -> POS ThunderBolt -> Bionic -> RAZR MAXX -> Samsung Galaxy S4

pudnukker
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Its my long time experience that it comes down to what you want to use them for. I have used NTrig pens on Lenovo's 1st (and only) pen tablet. It worked fine for long while, until lenovo stopped updating it, and i never felt like rooting it. NTrig does have to use a AAAA battery, sine Wacom has a patent on the non-battery magnetic tech. Yes, the HTC Flyer was kind of meh, but i've also used the NTrig on a newer Viao. So as far as writing or art, its close if not identical to feel as a wacom. Just that battery is tough to find sometimes, and not really cheap.

I recently got the Note 12.2 as well, and am loving it. I love doing digital art, and use this as a giant digital sketchbook. A Surface Pro falls short in a few places for my needs. And it has nothing to do with the tech or battery life. (the latter could be better) Using windows art programs on a portable tablet, without a keyboard, would slow me down. Buttons are not big enough to quickly change menus or tools. Pinch to zoom and pan are clumsy if included at all. And windows 8 is still unintuitive and annoying. By the same token, i have a Lenovo Thinkpad laptop i draw on as well, so i can always take sketches from one, and clean them up real nice on the other.

If you were using it for mostly notes, and wanted the MS Office atmosphere, then i think either is perfectly fine. Get a nice bluetooth keyboard for the note with a comfortable case, and baby, you got a stew going. (and potentially cheaper than the Surface's neat but expensive magnetic keyboard.) And a neat little tip, if you do want to make the arts, get a matte screen protector. (also sometimes called anti-glare) It has a bit of texture to feel a little like paper. And i got the SPen with eraser for the note 2 to use with the note 12.2. Its about the size of a regular ballpoint pen, and pretty cheap on amazon. I would just recommend changing the rubber tip to the plastic one if you're using a matte screen. Rubber feels weird, like rubbing a balloon slowly.