Search This thread

Narwhal73

Oct 22, 2012
Waterloo, ON
krourke.org
Looking for a quick fix here as I can't go to the service centre and get a replacement until at least Tuesday, and I need my phone working before then. I'm hoping someone else has had the same problem and can help me out.

My Moto G froze and became unresponsive (while I was refreshing my Gmail inbox) and it would not accept any input. I held down the power button and the power menu opened, however when I tried to power it off, it wouldn't accept my touch input. So obviously the next course of action was to hold down the power button for 10 seconds to force a reboot. The Motorola logo appeared and the phone vibrated... then it did nothing.

I tried this a few times and still nothing happened. I am able to boot into the bootloader, but apart from that, the phone goes only so far into the boot cycle before the screen goes black and does nothing.

Motorola's website suggests that if the Moto G becomes unresponsive, and the regular 10 second reset doesn't work, you should hold the power button for 120 seconds and keep it plugged in to a charger. This didn't work either. As of right now, my phone is just sitting here on my desk with what I would call a 'black screen of death.' Help would be appreciated.

I cannot boot into recovery, I cannot access anything. The phone is stock, unrooted, and running KitKat 4.4.2 without any modifications whatsoever. It's about 5 months old now, so it's still covered by warranty and I don't want to void it.

Last edited:

echui2014

May 25, 2014
Looking for a quick fix here as I can't go to the service centre and get a replacement until at least Tuesday, and I need my phone working before then. I'm hoping someone else has had the same problem and can help me out.

My Moto G froze and became unresponsive (while I was refreshing my Gmail inbox) and it would not accept any input. I held down the power button and the power menu opened, however when I tried to power it off, it wouldn't accept my touch input. So obviously the next course of action was to hold down the power button for 10 seconds to force a reboot. The Motorola logo appeared and the phone vibrated... then it did nothing.

I tried this a few times and still nothing happened. I am able to boot into the bootloader, but apart from that, the phone goes only so far into the boot cycle before the screen goes black and does nothing.

Motorola's website suggests that if the Moto G becomes unresponsive, and the regular 10 second reset doesn't work, you should hold the power button for 120 seconds and keep it plugged in to a charger. This didn't work either. As of right now, my phone is just sitting here on my desk with what I would call a 'black screen of death.' Help would be appreciated.

I cannot boot into recovery, I cannot access anything. The phone is stock, unrooted, and running KitKat 4.4.2 without any modifications whatsoever. It's about 5 months old now, so it's still covered by warranty and I don't want to void it.

Can you boot into bootloader mode and use adb command from a pc? If yes, maybe you can try to flash a stock recovery img file via your pc to phone.

echui2014

May 25, 2014
I am not sure - but my guess is that bootloader needs to be unlocked to install custom recovery to "recover" & backup userdata before flashing the entire original stock firmware; that's usually the first step we see in all those modding guide in different forums online.

How to get into safe mode
www[dot]youtube[dot]com/watch?v=NSHzoSEx8xY
** I am unable to post outside url yet.**

I suppose you can also contact motorola support to see if they can help you recover your data before getting the phone fixed or replaced under their warranty program.

Last edited: