Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,732,310 Members 45,116 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Flash T-Mobile Rom on AT&T M8??

Tip us?

jteunis
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Flash T-Mobile Rom on AT&T M8??

I have an AT&T M8 which I unlocked, rooted and s-off'd while under AT&T contract. I then decided to switch to T-Mobile and give this device to my 11-year old son. What I'd like to know/understand is whether I can flash some of the T-Mobile Roms I see in this forum on the AT&T M8 and it work with T-Mobile network? Or do I still need to flash the AT&T Roms?

Thanks in advance for any help advice!
Johnny

Teo032
Old
Thanks Meter 588
SIM unlocked would allow you to use it on stock AT&T too if you choose to. Also everything seems to be interchangeable unless noted. I would go for Rom with T-Mobile's Wi-Fi calling, which is amazing btw for those who get sorry service.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Free mobile app
my ex-ladies
Nokia 3310 > Samsung D415 > Samsung D600 > iPhone 2g > iPhone 3g > iPhone 3gs > Mytouch 4g > Mytouch 4g Slide > HTC Amaze > Galaxy S2 Hercules > d2tmo.

Da Kine
Old
Thanks Meter 1427

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by jteunis View Post
I have an AT&T M8 which I unlocked, rooted and s-off'd while under AT&T contract. I then decided to switch to T-Mobile and give this device to my 11-year old son. What I'd like to know/understand is whether I can flash some of the T-Mobile Roms I see in this forum on the AT&T M8 and it work with T-Mobile network? Or do I still need to flash the AT&T Roms?

Thanks in advance for any help advice!
Johnny
You should be able to flash either T-mobile or AT&T (Even roms in the international section, I would recommend InsertCoin) roms without any issues. Eleven and has a M8? Damn, i'm jealous lol.

jteunis
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Kine View Post
You should be able to flash either T-mobile or AT&T (Even roms in the international section, I would recommend InsertCoin) roms without any issues. Eleven and has a M8? Damn, i'm jealous lol.
Thanks for the information to the both ^^^^^^^^ of you! I appreciate it. Yes , he is 11 years old, but a good respectful kid and does well in school. With that I'm okay with giving him nice things. If that should change, then Daddy gets the M8 back!!! LOL

los1223
Old
Thanks Meter 19
Somewhat related question... If I u were to use an AT&T model on T-Mobile, would everything work correctly, 3g/4g? Comparing the frequency bands online, the AT&T model is missing the 1700 band that the T-Mobile version has. Does that mean the phone doesn't have the hardware components to connect to it? Or is it capable of connecting, just that AT&T doesn't use that band? I'm asking because I want to pickup a used m8, but the T-Mobile version is going for around $100 more than all the other carrier's versions... Could I just SIM unlock an AT&T version and be set, or will some things not work?

jteunis
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default 316224348996

Quote:
Originally Posted by los1223 View Post
Somewhat related question... If I u were to use an AT&T model on T-Mobile, would everything work correctly, 3g/4g? Comparing the frequency bands online, the AT&T model is missing the 1700 band that the T-Mobile version has. Does that mean the phone doesn't have the hardware components to connect to it? Or is it capable of connecting, just that AT&T doesn't use that band? I'm asking because I want to pickup a used m8, but the T-Mobile version is going for around $100 more than all the other carrier's versions... Could I just SIM unlock an AT&T version and be set, or will some things not work?
That's a good question and hoping someone will have the answer. In the meantime I was able to SIM unlock my son's ATT M8 and install a TMobile SIM using stock ATT rom. So far everything has worked and the 4G symbol does appear in the task bar, although I'm not sure if that really means he's getting 4G. I did have to manually enter the APN settings so he could get mobile data when not connected to wifi.