Build an Impractical But Awesome Lego Mindstorm Dock

The vast majority of what we cover here on the XDA-Developers News Portal relates to … more

MultiROM Makes its Way Over to the HTC One (M8)

While browsing our forum, you will undoubtedly find more than a few enticing ROMs available … more

Welcome to the New XDA-Developers Portal!

You may recall that a few weeks ago, we opened up the XDA-2015 forum themesto intrepid users … more

An Android Enthusiast’s Apple iPhone 6 Challenge

The media has gone batty again over Apple “revolutionizing” smartphones. … more
Post Reply

[Q] Moto G Assist, Camera & Gallery for AOSP/CM

26th May 2014, 03:24 PM   |  #1  
chrisus246g's Avatar
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 6
 
81 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2011
More
Hey guys,

I searched the web and haven't found much. What's really keeping me from going to a custom rom - be it GPE/AOSP (like Paranoid Android) or CM-Based - are those 3 features (Moto Assist, Camera, Gallery - even Radio FM). Sadly I only found negative evidence.

Are there any apks of those apps out there that work 100% on AOSP/CM-based roms? Or alternatives that have the same simplicity of design and functions?

Thanks in advance.
Cheers
26th May 2014, 04:06 PM   |  #2  
andogeek10's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Mumbai
Thanks Meter: 604
 
1,292 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisus246g

Hey guys,

I searched the web and haven't found much. What's really keeping me from going to a custom rom - be it GPE/AOSP (like Paranoid Android) or CM-Based - are those 3 features (Moto Assist, Camera, Gallery - even Radio FM). Sadly I only found negative evidence.

Are there any apks of those apps out there that work 100% on AOSP/CM-based roms? Or alternatives that have the same simplicity of design and functions?

Thanks in advance.
Cheers

Alternatives :
1. Assist - Quiet hours in various roms or profiles option.
2. Camera - In my opinion, the AOSP camera is much better than the stock camera application. The only thing missing is slow motion recording.
3. Gallery - There are many gallery applications available on the play store.
4. FM Radio - All of the roms I have flashed till now had a FM Radio app. And it also allows you to play the audio via the external speaker.
The Following User Says Thank You to andogeek10 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
26th May 2014, 06:46 PM   |  #3  
chrisus246g's Avatar
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 6
 
81 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by andogeek10

Alternatives :
1. Assist - Quiet hours in various roms or profiles option.
2. Camera - In my opinion, the AOSP camera is much better than the stock camera application. The only thing missing is slow motion recording.
3. Gallery - There are many gallery applications available on the play store.
4. FM Radio - All of the roms I have flashed till now had a FM Radio app. And it also allows you to play the audio via the external speaker.

Thanks for answering mate, much appreciated.

1. Main feature I use from Assist is that the phone goes quiet during an calendar appointment and auto replies to favorite calls (family). Can't find a similar app that just does that and/or doesn't have a bulky, ugly interface.
2. agreed, but Google Camera doesn't support panorama nor slow motion + HDR on the Moto G
3. tried a few. Again I like the simple, unbulky Moto Gallery with sidebar and autohide status bar feature.

Did no one ever try to port those 3 apps? :/ I can't be the only one wondering/asking this.
Last edited by chrisus246g; 26th May 2014 at 08:25 PM.
27th May 2014, 02:46 AM   |  #4  
andogeek10's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Mumbai
Thanks Meter: 604
 
1,292 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisus246g

Thanks for answering mate, much appreciated.

1. Main feature I use from Assist is that the phone goes quiet during an calendar appointment and auto replies to favorite calls (family). Can't find a similar app that just does that and/or doesn't have a bulky, ugly interface.
2. agreed, but Google Camera doesn't support panorama nor slow motion + HDR on the Moto G
3. tried a few. Again I like the simple, unbulky Moto Gallery with sidebar and autohide status bar feature.

Did no one ever try to port those 3 apps? :/ I can't be the only one wondering/asking this.

1. No that feature is not there in AOSP ROMs.
2. I'm taking about the AOSP camera and not the Google camera. In the AOSP camera we have panaroma and HDR. The only thing missing is the slow motion capture.
3. If you want simplicity then the AOSP gallery is good. The only thing not available is the sidebar.

Sent from my Moto G using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
27th May 2014, 07:25 AM   |  #5  
Darkshado's Avatar
Senior Member
Montréal
Thanks Meter: 461
 
990 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2011
Donate to Me
More
I don't remember if it does the auto-SMS, but Llama (FOSS, on the Play Store) can certainly use the calendar plus a whole bunch of other conditions to silence the phone, change "profiles" (enabling things like different ringtones at home and work, or silencing/changing some notification with the LlamaTones ringtone selector) and generally trigger actions.
27th May 2014, 08:38 AM   |  #6  
ToastnButter's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Rybnik/Kraków
Thanks Meter: 90
 
191 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisus246g

Hey guys,

I searched the web and haven't found much. What's really keeping me from going to a custom rom - be it GPE/AOSP (like Paranoid Android) or CM-Based - are those 3 features (Moto Assist, Camera, Gallery - even Radio FM). Sadly I only found negative evidence.

Are there any apks of those apps out there that work 100% on AOSP/CM-based roms? Or alternatives that have the same simplicity of design and functions?

Thanks in advance.
Cheers

Exactly same situation here. I'm torn between staying stock and going CM but loosing these three apps.
Moto camera and gallery apps are absolutely the best around. AOSP gallery is outdated and downright ugly. Also, there is no gallery app that performs nearly as smooth as moto gallery.
It shouldn't be THAT hard to port these apks, right?
10th June 2014, 01:27 AM   |  #7  
chrisus246g's Avatar
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 6
 
81 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2011
More
I'm not giving up

Moto G Camera App - don't know if it's CM only - (zip also seems to include Gallery)
Found a Thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2614700
"dhacker archieved to get the native moto g camera app working --> loki.rombitch.com/Devs/Dhacker29/MotoCamera442.zip"

Moto G Assist, apparently only for CM 11 (maybe CM based also, maybe PA, don't know)
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=52202333

I've no way to check these since I haven't rooted my phone.
Maybe someone wants to try and report back. Would be very appreciated.

Cheers
10th June 2014, 03:16 AM   |  #8  
thestory101's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 51
 
334 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisus246g

I'm not giving up

Moto G Camera App - don't know if it's CM only - (zip also seems to include Gallery)
Found a Thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2614700
"dhacker archieved to get the native moto g camera app working --> loki.rombitch.com/Devs/Dhacker29/MotoCamera442.zip"

Moto G Assist, apparently only for CM 11 (maybe CM based also, maybe PA, don't know)
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=52202333

I've no way to check these since I haven't rooted my phone.
Maybe someone wants to try and report back. Would be very appreciated.

Cheers

BTW , Moto camera on AOSP , about slow motion not working too.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools
Display Modes


Top Threads in Moto G Q&A, Help & Troubleshooting by ThreadRank