Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,742,742 Members 37,473 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Needing a bit of clarification before purchase

Tip us?

OriginalGabriel
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 176
Default [Q] Needing a bit of clarification before purchase

I'm coming from an HTC device which required both rooting and flashing an unlocked bootloader, so I'm a bit confused as to the ease as to which it seems this device can be rooted.

After digging though the forums, I have a few questions:

I'm seeing nothing in regards to unlocking the bootloader, so I'm assuming that's not an issue/anything important with this device?

I'm seeing root methods using both ODIN and Heimdall, and I'm at a loss (again, I'm coming from an HTC device) as to which is the best?

What I'm looking to do is have a fully open device (flash any ROM, kernel, radio, etc. I'd like); I understand Samsung has a flash counter (KNOX, I believe), and I'm fine with that (as long as it doesn't lock me out at some point ... does it?); and I'm not sure which method would give me that.

mrzhadow
Old
Thanks Meter 437

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalGabriel View Post
I'm coming from an HTC device which required both rooting and flashing an unlocked bootloader, so I'm a bit confused as to the ease as to which it seems this device can be rooted.

I'm seeing nothing in regards to unlocking the bootloader, so I'm assuming that's not an issue/anything important with this device?

I'm seeing root methods using both ODIN and Heimdall, and I'm at a loss (again, I'm coming from an HTC device) as to which is the best?

What I'm looking to do is have a fully open device (flash any ROM, kernel, radio, etc. I'd like); I understand Samsung has a flash counter (KNOX, I believe), and I'm fine with that (as long as it doesn't lock me out at some point ... does it?); and I'm not sure which method would give me that.
You can root/unroot this device with ease. I believe the only gs4 with locked a bootloader are the Verizon and sprint variants. I could be wrong. But I think those are the 2 carriers that lock you out of your phone. Anyway there's very little chance of you getting locked out of your phone unless you flash the wrong files. Odin is definitely the best way to go for Samsung devices. I've been using it since the vibrant came out.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using XDA Free mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to mrzhadow For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Kriptik210
Old
Thanks Meter 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrzhadow View Post
You can root/unroot this device with ease. I believe the only gs4 with locked a bootloader are the Verizon and sprint variants. I could be wrong. But I think those are the 2 carriers that lock you out of your phone. Anyway there's very little chance of you getting locked out of your phone unless you flash the wrong files. Odin is definitely the best way to go for Samsung devices. I've been using it since the vibrant came out.

Metro PCS has a locked bootloader too. But I think it ANY device with 4.3+

Sent from my Insane s4

Dont forget to titty slap that thank you button

---------- Post added at 09:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:40 AM ----------

Quote:

When you root your phone and start flashing ROMs, KNOX will be tripped to 0x1 but that will just void the warranty. And I just found out a week ago that Samsung says they will still honor their warranty even if KNOX is tripped.

ODIN would be your best bet. I haven't even heard of Heimdall.

Sent from my Insane s4

Dont forget to titty slap that thank you button
.............Sent from an A.I. frequency.............
The Following User Says Thank You to Kriptik210 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Android_Monsters
Old
Thanks Meter 857
Most use chain fire's autoroot.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to Android_Monsters For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

OriginalGabriel
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrzhadow View Post

Awesome, thanks ... I see you're on T-Mo as well; I was just going to stick with CyanogenMod but, any ROMs you recommend for the T-Mo variant? I prefer a pretty clean interface (eg. no TouchWiz), with little "bling".

mrzhadow
Old
Thanks Meter 437

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Awesome, thanks ... I see you're on T-Mo as well; I was just going to stick with CyanogenMod but, any ROMs you recommend for the T-Mo variant? I prefer a pretty clean interface (eg. no TouchWiz), with little "bling".
I'm a TW man so I couldn't tell you which ROM is better. I'm on insane KitKat. Great ROM!

serio22
Old
Thanks Meter 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriptik210 View Post
Metro PCS has a locked bootloader too. But I think it ANY device with 4.3+
I think you're thinking of Knox bootloader.. Not the same thing

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Kriptik210
Old
Thanks Meter 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by serio22 View Post
I think you're thinking of Knox bootloader.. Not the same thing

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
Not to bash what you are saying, but Verizon, sprint and anything with KNOX keep you from unlocking your bootloader and a locked bootloader is a locked bootloader. Am I locked bootloader right? Lol

lordcheeto03
Old
Thanks Meter 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriptik210 View Post
Not to bash what you are saying, but Verizon, sprint and anything with KNOX keep you from unlocking your bootloader and a locked bootloader is a locked bootloader. Am I locked bootloader right? Lol

Having KNOX doesn't mean the bootloader is locked. The M919 on 4.3 and above has KNOX implemented but the bootloader is still unlocked regardless of what baseband version you're on. Literally the only functional difference is that pre-MK2 firmware you can't trip the KNOX counter as it hadn't yet been implemented..
Don't be afraid of the "Thanks" button

Kriptik210
Old
Thanks Meter 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordcheeto03 View Post
Having KNOX doesn't mean the bootloader is locked. The M919 on 4.3 and above has KNOX implemented but the bootloader is still unlocked regardless of what baseband version you're on. Literally the only functional difference is that pre-MK2 firmware you can't trip the KNOX counter as it hadn't yet been implemented..
Oh ok. I got my m919n with 4.3 MK5 and my bootloader is locked. Feom what you are saying, I can unlock it? KNOX is already tripped so what the hell, I'll unlock it.