Question [Q] VS980 - CM11, TWRP 2.7.0.0, Whole Disc Encryption - What To Do Next?

OP Tytalus

27th May 2014, 07:54 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
I followed these instructions about 2 months ago. I had success flashing 11A on to the phone using the KDZ method. From there I was able to root the phone, then install TWRP 2.6.3.0, then TWRP 2.7.0.0. Once TWRP was on the phone I installed CM11 nightlies, which have been working with varying degrees of success up until about a month ago. I decided to encrypt the phone, which turned out to be one heck of a mistake! I now have a few problems, and am in need of some guidance on how to proceed:

1) When I go in to TWRP 2.7 I am not prompted for an encryption password. Without this I am unable to mount System, which means I can no longer flash CM11 updates. Despite reading about sideloading on TWRP's website I'm unsure if wiping the System partition in TWRP (likely after checkmarking rm -rf option) then attempting a sideload of the newest nightly of CM11 would be the appropriate next step. My fear is that I'll wipe System and then be unable to sideload successfully, resulting in a phone with no OS on it and a bootloop to TWRP.

2) After considering #1, I decided I wanted to install 24A using the KDZ that's available. I followed the instructions by booting in to CM11, ensuring debug mode is enabled then running the batch file as provided (which is pretty darn convenient.) I get up to Step #5 and select "Different Country", then click to start the process. The software indicates that the phone is not connected to the PC. I can see the phone as an MTP device so I know that some level of connectivity is established, and I can also see the "debug enabled" icon in CM11 indicating debugging is enabled.

Without either of the two methods above I'm at a loss for how to proceed. I'd either like to wipe the existing System partition and install a newer nightly of CM11, or I'd like to reload the phone with 24A so I can check out KitKat. Any assistance or insight would be greatly appreciated prior to my moving forward. If I can provide any additional information please let me know and I'll gladly do so.
27th May 2014, 08:12 AM   |  #2  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
Thumbs up Solved!
Okay, so I was being kinda' derpy on #2. I forgot to put the phone in to Download mode (unplug USB cable, power off phone, hold vol+ button, plug in USB cable) prior to starting the update.

Another item worth noting: if your phone was previously encrypted it will attempt to decrypt once 24A is installed. Fail the decryption 10 times (no way you could decrypt it anyways, from what I understand) and it'll factory reset, which is exactly what you want it to do anyways. Phone should be fine after that!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread