Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,452 Members 42,521 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Upgrade camera sensor

Tip us?

mwatson
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 104
Default Upgrade camera sensor

What's the chances of installing the camera sensor from a Desire 816 or an M8 ultra to get a 13mp camera rather than the 4mp? They obviously work with sense 6, but will they fit?

Let's say it, would you be tempted?

HTC_One_M8_91
Old
Thanks Meter 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwatson View Post
What's the chances of installing the camera sensor from a Desire 816 or an M8 ultra to get a 13mp camera rather than the 4mp? They obviously work with sense 6, but will they fit?

Lol, why would you do that. HTC isn't stupid, they wouldn't put better camera in midranger than in flagship.

For my purpouses, camera is great. Night photos are the best. Daily are sometimes overexposed, but play a little with settings and they won't be. Pictures are good even on the monitor screen.

thebobmannh
Old
Thanks Meter 112
I would say chances are less than zero. Even if it was the same ribbon cable pinout, there's no way it's the same physical footprint so it wouldn't fit, and the software would have no idea how to talk to it. You have a better chance of your phone sprouting legs.
Running an AT&T HTC M8 with SinLess GPE ROM. Unlocked, S-Off, of course.

eltoffer
Old
Thanks Meter 8

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwatson View Post

lol.... are you serious? impossible

GSLEON3
Old
Retired Senior Moderator
Thanks Meter 1312

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by eltoffer View Post
lol.... are you serious? impossible
It was once said to be impossible to split an atom... I don't know if you've ever check out some of the homebrew electronics sites & forums, but I have seen more unbelievably amazing things than soldering a cmos onto a board. While it may be highly impractical, improbable even, few things are impossible.
Ingress Resistance - Rainbow6

Click HERE to buy me a cheeseburger if I helped you! Or even better, find a charity or local family fighting childhood cancer & help out however you can!

A brief & incomplete timeline of my love affair with mobile technology:

eltoffer
Old
Thanks Meter 8

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSLEON3 View Post
It was once said to be impossible to split an atom... I don't know if you've ever check out some of the homebrew electronics sites & forums, but I have seen more unbelievably amazing things than soldering a cmos onto a board. While it may be highly impractical, improbable even, few things are impossible.
If this guy is asking for that it is impossible (st least for him/her, also don't know why we would want a worse camera on this device, not impossible for HTC but for us :/ easy

Desde HTC One M8

thebobmannh
Old
Thanks Meter 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSLEON3 View Post
You could solder a Subaru onto the side of the phone too, it doesn't mean it can drive. There's more to these things than a little fun with a soldering iron.

Given enough time, ambition, and access to the full source of everything involved (kernel, drivers), I'm sure it's POSSIBLE. But no one is going to do it -- that's the part that has zero percent chance of happening. For that amount of effort and time just buy a different phone that suits you better, or wait a year.
Running an AT&T HTC M8 with SinLess GPE ROM. Unlocked, S-Off, of course.

ashyx
Old
Thanks Meter 37
Crikey I'm not being funny but what's the big hang up with m8 camera, it's a phone for crying out loud? There is absolutely nothing wrong with it. It takes perfectly good photos. Really if you need a top notch camera go and buy one that is designed for the job.
The Following User Says Thank You to ashyx For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

wpghtc
Old
Thanks Meter 28
It is still funny to me, how people think the bigger number is always better.
13 mediocre mega pixels vs 4 excellent mega pixels. I prefer a camera that can actually handle different lighting conditions like the M8. I had an S5 for 2 days before returning it. The camera wasn't that great. I prefer the M8 .

It is sad that ignorant people can stifle real innovation with such blind devotion to bigger numbers. That's why Samsung does so well, they keep hyping numbers in a cheap phone and people buy it.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Free mobile app

D0GuKaN
Old
Thanks Meter 16
Impossible