Upgrade camera sensor

OP mwatson

29th May 2014, 01:01 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Basingstoke
Thanks Meter: 110

694 posts
More
What's the chances of installing the camera sensor from a Desire 816 or an M8 ultra to get a 13mp camera rather than the 4mp? They obviously work with sense 6, but will they fit?

Let's say it, would you be tempted?
29th May 2014, 01:18 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 22

230 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwatson

What's the chances of installing the camera sensor from a Desire 816 or an M8 ultra to get a 13mp camera rather than the 4mp? They obviously work with sense 6, but will they fit?

Lol, why would you do that. HTC isn't stupid, they wouldn't put better camera in midranger than in flagship.

For my purpouses, camera is great. Night photos are the best. Daily are sometimes overexposed, but play a little with settings and they won't be. Pictures are good even on the monitor screen.
29th May 2014, 04:04 PM   |  #3  
Flag Derry, NH
Thanks Meter: 149

436 posts
More
I would say chances are less than zero. Even if it was the same ribbon cable pinout, there's no way it's the same physical footprint so it wouldn't fit, and the software would have no idea how to talk to it. You have a better chance of your phone sprouting legs.
29th May 2014, 06:57 PM   |  #4  
Flag Metepec
Thanks Meter: 8

218 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwatson

lol.... are you serious? impossible
29th May 2014, 07:06 PM   |  #5  
Retired Senior Moderator
Flag NSA Black Site Whiskey Tango Foxtrot One Niner
Thanks Meter: 1,349

2,461 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by eltoffer

lol.... are you serious? impossible

It was once said to be impossible to split an atom... I don't know if you've ever check out some of the homebrew electronics sites & forums, but I have seen more unbelievably amazing things than soldering a cmos onto a board. While it may be highly impractical, improbable even, few things are impossible.
29th May 2014, 07:11 PM   |  #6  
Flag Metepec
Thanks Meter: 8

218 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSLEON3

It was once said to be impossible to split an atom... I don't know if you've ever check out some of the homebrew electronics sites & forums, but I have seen more unbelievably amazing things than soldering a cmos onto a board. While it may be highly impractical, improbable even, few things are impossible.

If this guy is asking for that it is impossible (st least for him/her, also don't know why we would want a worse camera on this device, not impossible for HTC but for us :/ easy

Desde HTC One M8
29th May 2014, 09:12 PM   |  #7  
Flag Derry, NH
Thanks Meter: 149

436 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSLEON3

You could solder a Subaru onto the side of the phone too, it doesn't mean it can drive. There's more to these things than a little fun with a soldering iron.

Given enough time, ambition, and access to the full source of everything involved (kernel, drivers), I'm sure it's POSSIBLE. But no one is going to do it -- that's the part that has zero percent chance of happening. For that amount of effort and time just buy a different phone that suits you better, or wait a year.
30th May 2014, 12:31 AM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 48

302 posts
Crikey I'm not being funny but what's the big hang up with m8 camera, it's a phone for crying out loud? There is absolutely nothing wrong with it. It takes perfectly good photos. Really if you need a top notch camera go and buy one that is designed for the job.
The Following User Says Thank You to ashyx For This Useful Post: [ View ]
30th May 2014, 04:53 AM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 28

165 posts
It is still funny to me, how people think the bigger number is always better.
13 mediocre mega pixels vs 4 excellent mega pixels. I prefer a camera that can actually handle different lighting conditions like the M8. I had an S5 for 2 days before returning it. The camera wasn't that great. I prefer the M8 .

It is sad that ignorant people can stifle real innovation with such blind devotion to bigger numbers. That's why Samsung does so well, they keep hyping numbers in a cheap phone and people buy it.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Free mobile app
30th May 2014, 07:18 AM   |  #10  
Flag Ankara
Thanks Meter: 16

177 posts
More
Impossible

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread