Thumbs up [Q] Roehsoft Ram Expander (swap)( How to use)

OP sarres

4th November 2013, 05:10 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

3 posts
More
Please guys , who can explain me how to use this apps, and which SD CARD is good to use this ?
Thanks.
5th November 2013, 01:18 AM   |  #2  
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarres

Please guys , who can explain me how to use this apps, and which SD CARD is good to use this ?
Thanks.

brother let me tell you something for benefit of your sd card
PLEASE PLEASE DO NOT USE SWAP
it kills your sd card
my 16 gb sd ard class 10 died during swapping
so if you have more money to waste and think you can buy one then go for it otherwise not
please thinks twice before swapping and i dont think 1 gb ram of grand is less then why use this
good luck
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sharingan For This Useful Post: [ View ]
5th November 2013, 02:19 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 724

715 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarres

Thanks.

That RAM swapper will not work for our grand duos, mainly because we currently do not have a custom kernel (you need a custom kernel has SWAP support) for this application to work.
I can go into detail and explain how it works anyway if you like but the basic thing is, that application will not work on our sgg.
Try their second application - Memory Swap checker, to confirm what I'm telling you - https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ehsoft.meminfo

I disagree with @aditya rathee about the dying sd card due to swap, if done right it works like a charm. I have used swap on several of my phones as well as this particular application on my Xperia J. It simply uses the empty space from your sd card to create swap file and uses it as virtual RAM for your applications to run in the background. Usually it is adviced to use Class 6+ SD card for these kind of things, but minimum requirement is Class 4. Personally I have tested it on Class 6 and currently using it on Class 10 SD card.
The Following User Says Thank You to iceyhotguy For This Useful Post: [ View ]
5th November 2013, 02:46 AM   |  #4  
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceyhotguy

That RAM swapper will not work for our grand duos, mainly because we currently do not have a custom kernel (you need a custom kernel has SWAP support) for this application to work.
I can go into detail and explain how it works anyway if you like but the basic thing is, that application will not work on our sgg.
Try their second application - Memory Swap checker, to confirm what I'm telling you - https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ehsoft.meminfo

I disagree with @aditya rathee about the dying sd card due to swap, if done right it works like a charm. I have used swap on several of my phones as well as this particular application on my Xperia J. It simply uses the empty space from your sd card to create swap file and uses it as virtual RAM for your applications to run in the background. Usually it is adviced to use Class 6+ SD card for these kind of things, but minimum requirement is Class 4. Personally I have tested it on Class 6 and currently using it on Class 10 SD card.

sir it may have worked good for you but my sd ard was sandisk 16 gb class 10 i can send you its photo if you dont believe
also swapping increases reading writing cycles of sd card which results in damage
5th November 2013, 03:45 AM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 724

715 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya rathee

sir it may have worked good for you but my sd ard was sandisk 16 gb class 10 i can send you its photo if you dont believe
also swapping increases reading writing cycles of sd card which results in damage

I'm not disagreeing with you on the fact that swapping decreases the life of the sd card. Yes, sd cards are made in a way that they have only so many read/write cycles, and using them for swap will essentially allow your system and applications to use that swap file/partition over and over again which would decrease the life of your sd card in the long term but NOT right away. You definitely would need to replace your sd card after a year maybe two depending on your usage but that's the cost you have to pay if you need more virtual RAM.
In your previous post you mentioned that your sd card died "during" swapping. That happening is very very unlikely, unless you had really bad luck or you were using an old SD card that had already been used a lot.
The Following User Says Thank You to iceyhotguy For This Useful Post: [ View ]
5th November 2013, 04:04 AM   |  #6  
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceyhotguy

I'm not disagreeing with you on the fact that swapping decreases the life of the sd card. Yes, sd cards are made in a way that they have only so many read/write cycles, and using them for swap will essentially allow your system and applications to use that swap file/partition over and over again which would decrease the life of your sd card in the long term but NOT right away. You definitely would need to replace your sd card after a year maybe two depending on your usage but that's the cost you have to pay if you need more virtual RAM.
In your previous post you mentioned that your sd card died "during" swapping. That happening is very very unlikely, unless you had really bad luck or you were using an old SD card that had already been used a lot.

my class 10 sd card was just one year was that not enough
The Following User Says Thank You to sharingan For This Useful Post: [ View ]
5th November 2013, 04:38 AM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 62

154 posts
More
[QUOTE=iceyhotguy;47130966]That RAM swapper will not work for our grand duos, mainly because we currently do not have a custom kernel (you need a custom kernel has SWAP support) for this application to work.

I think the stock kernel does support swap becz if you enter
Cat /proc/cpuinfo you will get the following result and it features it says swp

Sent from my GT-I9082 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1383626285779.jpg
Views:	418
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	2372013  
The Following User Says Thank You to rishabh56 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
5th November 2013, 04:41 AM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 62

154 posts
More
Deleted
Last edited by rishabh56; 5th November 2013 at 04:49 AM.
8th November 2013, 09:45 AM   |  #9  
OP Junior Member

3 posts
More
Thanx a lot !!!
i will not try this on my sgg.
thanx
27th May 2014, 02:55 PM   |  #10  

2 posts
Swap supported kernels for Galaxy Grand Duos?
Are there swap supported Kernels or ROMS for galaxy grand duos? If there are any plz give me a Download link.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread