Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Any safestrap compatible for 4.4.2 roms now that official Kit Kat is out?

OP dman9691

22nd May 2014, 08:30 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

22 posts
I've searched but haven't found anything other than jelly bean safestrap roms. is it safe to assume that at some point any safestrap compatible 4.4.2 roms might become available now that the M has a official kit kat?
22nd May 2014, 04:05 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 32

111 posts
More
Not sure what for as long as there's no root for locked phones.
25th May 2014, 08:37 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

22 posts
No I meant any safestrap compatible 4.4.2 ROMS available now that official kitkat is out. Sorry should have been more clear.

I have a rooted but bootloader locked 4.1 razr m running Safestrap. As far as I know there have not been many options for ROMs being safestrap compatible for anything above 4.2
25th May 2014, 11:38 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 32

111 posts
More
This would require KitKat with a 3.0 kernel, but KitKat on 3.0 just isn't KitKat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iBolski

The issue with KitKat is it's a different kernel. In order to reap the benefits of KitKat, you need to run the latest kernel.
[...]
Therefore, don't expect to see a SS KitKat ROM.

26th May 2014, 07:49 AM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 479

1,326 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman9691

No I meant any safestrap compatible 4.4.2 ROMS available now that official kitkat is out. Sorry should have been more clear.

I have a rooted but bootloader locked 4.1 razr m running Safestrap. As far as I know there have not been many options for ROMs being safestrap compatible for anything above 4.2

4.2 ROMs barely worked, I wouldn't even want to see a 4.4. Also, what version of 4.1 are you running? If you're still on one of the older versions, you might be able to to unlock the bootloader and get rid of SS.
The Following User Says Thank You to RikRong For This Useful Post: [ View ]
27th May 2014, 02:28 PM   |  #6  
Flag Columbus
Thanks Meter: 528

1,593 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by RikRong

4.2 ROMs barely worked, I wouldn't even want to see a 4.4. Also, what version of 4.1 are you running? If you're still on one of the older versions, you might be able to to unlock the bootloader and get rid of SS.

Yes, it never hurts to try and see if the bootloader will unlock. Some people had to run the utility twice to get it to work. We had one individual on this forum that refused to listen to the benefits, until we badgered him enough (well, more like encouraged him) to really see the flaws in his logic. He wanted to keep root and be able to use TiBu to restore his apps, but then he stated he didn't care about root. But, I explained to him that going to KK will cause him to lose root and the ability to use TiBu, so he would have no way of restoring his apps and their related data since that required root.

We then explained that attempting to unlock the bootloader will NOT harm his phone. He tried it and after the second try, he had an unlocked phone. Now, he doesn't have to wait for an exploit (if it ever comes) to root KitKat. He can just sideload it now via ADB.

So, try to unlock it. Worse that can happen is, you'll find that an OTA was applied that fixed the exploit, or you could get lucky like the person I was just talking about and have an unlocked bootloader which will allow you to obtain root with KitKat.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread