[KERNEL] | WildKernel v013 | Featurlicous | Tame Companion | January 29th

Search This thread

Emmanuel U

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 29, 2011
Chi-Town Suburbs
WildKernel
for T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S II

Go check out Tame! It goes great with this and it handles OTA updates for this kernel.

This is a Linux based (3.0.101) Kernel which is maintained by me kept inline with the Cyangenmod Kernel so this is compatible with ALL the latest KitKat Roms (unless otherwise stated in the ROM).

Please report anything good and bad so that I know what to keep and what not to keep for the next release. This also helps me push out fixes faster when presented with lots of information (such as logs etc.).

Please see changelogs for an in-depth look at features. Also take a look at the screenshots for a sneak peek.
Feeling like a critic? Leave a review!

Link broken? Try one of the mirrors, Still a no go? Goto my signature and click the file backups link, then navigate to what you were looking for.

v013: AFH
TRU Mirrors: #1 / #2

All Releases: AFH | TRU Mirrors

[#WildKernel-Celox-CL]

[/HIDE]
TeamChopsticks & CyanogenMod
TeamSXL
Cl3Kener
Team Hydra
TeamDS
faux123
Sultanxda
Tamcore
cretin45
showp1984
RomanBB
and any others I may have missed

Info on Governors/Schedulers
You may find my source hosted @ Github

There is NO need to clear caches, kernel installer handles everything. Just flash and reboot.

My recommended Governor/Scheduler setups:

Battery w/ Good Performance at 96-1350mhz:

Intellidemand/SIO (personal choice)
Lazy/SIO
Badass/SIO
Ondemand/SIO
Wheatley/SIO

'lil more Performance at 96-1512mhz:

Smartass/SIO
Hyper/Deadline
Samsung/Deadlne
lulzactive/Deadline
Savagedzed/Deadline

Best Performance (worst battery): 384-???mhz

Gaming/Deadline
Performance/Deadline
Did you read the announcement? (page header)

XDA:DevDB Information
WildKernel for the T-Mobile Galaxy S II (hercules), Kernel for the T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S II

Contributors
Emmanuel U
Source Code: https://github.com/EmmanuelU/wild_kernel_samsung_msm8660/tree/android-msm-hercules-3.0

Kernel Special Features: Too many features to list, just install it.... now.

Version Information
Current Stable Version: 013
Stable Release Date: 2015-01-29

Created 2014-05-28
Last Updated 2015-02-01

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-10-07-06-05-43.png
    Screenshot_2014-10-07-06-05-43.png
    76.8 KB · Views: 3,416
  • aDev_screenshot.png
    aDev_screenshot.png
    72.7 KB · Views: 3,425
Last edited:

x.0ni.x

Account currently disabled
Oct 13, 2013
GB
meettomy.site
Wow I'm glad I was up late tonight! Downloaded this installed... Working cam 100% plus we can overclock again! Ole herc still running strong!! Thanks for this!!!

Reactions: Muffycheeks

suaverc118

Mar 19, 2012
Thanks bro for doing this. I will flash and report

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

---------- Post added at 08:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:31 AM ----------

Emmanuel, do you recommend CPU tuner or trickster or just stock performance to tweak settings?

mp3deviant721

Jan 4, 2013
Just flashed it on Carbon 5/21. Initial thoughts are that it seems to get to the boot animation quicker than Uber. But initial reboot is long... I thought my phone was stuck in a bootloop... Also does not kill vibration after subsequent reboots after the initial reboot after flashing the kernel. It's just as quick as Uber and seems to work with Kernel Tweaker. This kernel also won't crash the phone playing 1080p in portrait... Love the fact that this kernel has sleep2wake as well. Will report back after using it for the day...

Any chance of a 2ghz version? And does this work with PAC outta the box?

Edit: Forgot to say thanks for giving us another kernel for the good ol' Herc. So, thanks.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

suaverc118

Mar 19, 2012
Not sure if its kernel related but after rebooting my phone because of play store issues. After rebooting, I lost all of my widgets that I placed on 4 screens.

bmg002

Aug 21, 2012
Xiaomi Mi 5s Plus
WildKernel

This is a Linux based (3.0.101) Kernel which is maintained by me kept inline with the Cyangenmod Kernel so this is compatible with ALL the latest KitKat Roms.

Please report anything good and bad so that I know what to keep and what not to keep for the next release. This also helps me push out fixes faster when presented with lots of information (such as logs etc.).

Please wipe cache and dalvik cache to avoid any possible issues.

Please see changelogs for an in-depth look at features. Also take a look at the screenshots for a sneak peek.

Download Latest WildKernel for Android 4.4+
Mirror (HTTP) / (FTP)

View all public kernel releases (Mirror)

Changelog:
Code:
[B]May 27, 2014 - ver001[/B]

1. Initial Release (based off Diablo 3.1 & Merged with all latest CM vidc changes to fix camera/camcorder issues)
2. [B]Voltage Table Overhaul: All clocks have noticeably reduced voltages to improve battery life without compromising performance.[/B]
3. [B]Add More GPU Scaling steps to create a new 'low power' idle and more intermediate steps until an OC[/B]
4. Various FS, IRQ, MM, Mutex patches
5. Enable All tweaks for Badass (including low-bat powersave, allow bypass etc.)
6. [B]New 'Ultra low' CPU Idle steps (96-153mhz) - Low power idling[/B]
7. Mpdecision allowed to scale down to 96mhz
8. BadAss and SIO set as default gov/sched
9. Update all Ondemand based governors to upstream (Google)
10. Update LZO (faux123)

TeamSXL
Cl3Kener
Team Hydra
TeamDS
faux123
Sultan
Tamcore
cretin45
showp1984
RomanBB

WildKernel for the T-Mobile Galaxy S II (hercules), Kernel for the T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S II

Contributors
Emmanuel U
Kernel Special Features:

Version Information
Current Beta Version: 001
Beta Release Date: 2014-05-27

Created 2014-05-28
Last Updated 2014-05-27

I haven't tested this yet, but it is on my "to test" list. I'm going to download it on my lunch break and flash it sometime on the weekend. Had a quick question though: what is the recommended date of the ROM one should use with this Kernel? The ROM I'm running was last updated back in March so I am unsure if any new CM features were implemented or removed from the kernel since that time and I would rather not be stuck in a boot-loop or nothing. The kernel I'm currently sporting is "3.0.101-DIABLO-3.3". You say yours is based off of Diablo 3.1, so I THINK it should play nice with this ROM, but I'm nervous I'll soft-brick my phone.
Is there a reason you didn't use Diablo 3.3 as the base?
Also, your OP states there are screenshots, but none are included? I don't need them (kernels don't really need screenshots, eh?), but just thought I'd point it out.
Thanks for being one of the ones keeping the t989 alive.

EDIT: I'm dumb... just saw the screenshot tab at the top. 18 hours on battery is pretty good. I get about 10 with how I have things set right now, so getting an extra 8 would be awesome.

Last edited:
Reactions: suaverc118

mp3deviant721

Jan 4, 2013
I haven't tested this yet, but it is on my "to test" list. I'm going to download it on my lunch break and flash it sometime on the weekend. Had a quick question though: what is the recommended date of the ROM one should use with this Kernel? The ROM I'm running was last updated back in March so I am unsure if any new CM features were implemented or removed from the kernel since that time and I would rather not be stuck in a boot-loop or nothing. The kernel I'm currently sporting is "3.0.101-DIABLO-3.3". You say yours is based off of Diablo 3.1, so I THINK it should play nice with this ROM, but I'm nervous I'll soft-brick my phone.
Is there a reason you didn't use Diablo 3.3 as the base?
Also, your OP states there are screenshots, but none are included? I don't need them (kernels don't really need screenshots, eh?), but just thought I'd point it out.
Thanks for being one of the ones keeping the t989 alive.

EDIT: I'm dumb... just saw the screenshot tab at the top. 18 hours on battery is pretty good. I get about 10 with how I have things set right now, so getting an extra 8 would be awesome.

It'll work fine with older KitKat builds.. And I don't think you'll have compatibility problems with using it with a ROM that came with a newer version of Diablo. I was at one point using older builds of Cl3kener's kernels on newer builds...

Sent from my Carbonized GS²

Last edited:
Reactions: bmg002

Emmanuel U

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 29, 2011
Chi-Town Suburbs
Thanks bro for doing this. I will flash and report

---------- Post added at 08:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:31 AM ----------

Emmanuel, do you recommend CPU tuner or trickster or just stock performance to tweak settings?

I will always recommend the stock performance app as it's apart of the system so you know for a fact it won't be holding any child proccesses which may effect battery etc.

Just flashed it on Carbon 5/21. Initial thoughts are that it seems to get to the boot animation quicker than Uber. But initial reboot is long... I thought my phone was stuck in a bootloop... Also does not kill vibration after subsequent reboots after the initial reboot after flashing the kernel. It's just as quick as Uber and seems to work with Kernel Tweaker. This kernel also won't crash the phone playing 1080p in portrait... Love the fact that this kernel has sleep2wake as well. Will report back after using it for the day...

Any chance of a 2ghz version? And does this work with PAC outta the box?

Edit: Forgot to say thanks for giving us another kernel for the good ol' Herc. So, thanks.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
Yes it should work out of the box with ALL KITKAT roms. As for Jellybean and before I'm not 100% sure as they may and most likely use different ramdisks. Also I doubt you will see me push out a 2ghz version as I don't really like to OC, but when I do I like to stay in the OC 300-400mhz stage. Once getting above that you risk damaging your hardware overtime which can stunt it's life.
Not sure if its kernel related but after rebooting my phone because of play store issues. After rebooting, I lost all of my widgets that I placed on 4 screens.

How many times did this issue occur to you? Did it happen right after kernel installation? Because it's sounding more like a rom related issue.

Last edited:

e20140

May 12, 2009
After about 12hrs into it, video recording added a nonstop buzzing sound in all video res. Reboot fixed the issue. See catlog. I am currently on AlpineRom.

Attachments

• videobuzzsound.rar
    47 KB · Views: 22
Reactions: Emmanuel U

mp3deviant721

Jan 4, 2013
Yes it should work out of the box with ALL KITKAT roms. As for Jellybean and before I'm not 100% sure as they may and most likely use different ramdisks. Also I doubt you will see me push out a 2ghz version as I don't really like to OC, but when I do I like to stay in the 300-400mhz stage. Once getting above that you risk damaging your hardware overtime which can stunt it's life.

I meant all older builds of KitKat ROMs. My bad. I didn't claify. I'll edit my post. And I thought I'd ask about 2ghz, it was nice when I had it...

mp3deviant721

Jan 4, 2013
Is Hyper supposed to stay a higher frequency on Core 0 when you are playing music or running an app and not doing anything else and with the screen on? I'm currently set at 1836/192 and the frequency settles more at 756 on Core 0. If I set minimum to 384 then it seems to settle more on 384. I couldn't find much info on how Hyper works so I'm just wondering if this is normal.

Last edited:

sfleury

Oct 26, 2008
Kanata, Ont.
Something went very wrong....

About an hour after installing this kernel last night I picked my phone up off the table and noticed it was in a boot loop.

I went into recovery and wiped the cache and it eventually booted to the CM-11 Welcome screen asking me my language preference.

I rebooted back to recovery to restore from my backup and (long story short), I couldn't because the partition table on my external sd card has been destroyed. I don't know what would have done that I wasn't actually using the phone at the time.

Sorry I don't have logs, but if anyone knows how to recover an sd card with no partition table i'd love to hear about it. I tried gpart/gparted with no success. I assume the partition was some kind of FAT but I don't know for sure.

suaverc118

Mar 19, 2012
Last night

Attachments

• 1401369382479.jpg
    1401369382479.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 467
Reactions: Emmanuel U

bmg002

Aug 21, 2012
Xiaomi Mi 5s Plus
About an hour after installing this kernel last night I picked my phone up off the table and noticed it was in a boot loop.

I went into recovery and wiped the cache and it eventually booted to the CM-11 Welcome screen asking me my language preference.

I rebooted back to recovery to restore from my backup and (long story short), I couldn't because the partition table on my external sd card has been destroyed. I don't know what would have done that I wasn't actually using the phone at the time.

Sorry I don't have logs, but if anyone knows how to recover an sd card with no partition table i'd love to hear about it. I tried gpart/gparted with no success. I assume the partition was some kind of FAT but I don't know for sure.

That happened to me a short while back using A different ROM and kernel. For me, my sd card died and I sent it back under warranty.
Sucks cause you lose all the data and no way to recover but if you can warranty it,I would.

Sent from my SM-T310 using XDA Free mobile app

sfleury

Oct 26, 2008
Kanata, Ont.
That happened to me a short while back using A different ROM and kernel. For me, my sd card died and I sent it back under warranty.
Sucks cause you lose all the data and no way to recover but if you can warranty it,I would.

Sent from my SM-T310 using XDA Free mobile app

Ya I suspect the card has failed based on how it is behaving in my computer. I will look into warranty but I'm not very good at keeping the paperwork for such things.

bmg002

Aug 21, 2012
Xiaomi Mi 5s Plus
Ya I suspect the card has failed based on how it is behaving in my computer. I will look into warranty but I'm not very good at keeping the paperwork for such things.

I'm not either, but if you know where you bought it from (online sources are usually the best as you will have an email receipt) AND you have an account with them, they MAY be nice and pull your receipt up for you. Sandisks warranty info though states that you need to have your original receipt AND the original packaging. When mine died they were happy enough with a photocopy of the receipt being emailed to them and they didn't need the original packaging.
It sucks when it does die because you lose your data and you don't know if it was due to the new stuff you were trying or simply a fluke. I've been meaning to try my new stuff again on my card (moving /data to external storage), but I'm nervous that that is what killed it. It gave me a nice performance boost (surprisingly), but I only got about 2 months before things died for me :(
Now I back up my SD cards roughly once every 2 months just in case one dies on me again. Well, unless I make no changes OR I only add stuff I can re-download easily.

wvuravens-fan

Oct 13, 2013
Nice, new kernel. Something to play with this weekend.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989 using XDA Free mobile app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    WildKernel

Go check out Tame! It goes great with this and it handles OTA updates for this kernel.

This is a Linux based (3.0.101) Kernel which is maintained by me kept inline with the Cyangenmod Kernel so this is compatible with ALL the latest KitKat Roms (unless otherwise stated in the ROM).

Feeling like a critic? Leave a review!

Link broken? Try one of the mirrors, Still a no go? Goto my signature and click the file backups link, then navigate to what you were looking for.

v013: AFH
    TRU Mirrors: #1 / #2

All Releases: AFH | TRU Mirrors

[#WildKernel-Celox-CL]

[/HIDE]
    TeamSXL
    Cl3Kener
    Team Hydra
    TeamDS
    faux123
    Sultanxda
    Tamcore
    cretin45
    showp1984
    RomanBB

There is NO need to clear caches, kernel installer handles everything. Just flash and reboot.

My recommended Governor/Scheduler setups:

Battery w/ Good Performance at 96-1350mhz:

Intellidemand/SIO (personal choice)
    Lazy/SIO
    Badass/SIO
    Ondemand/SIO
    Wheatley/SIO

'lil more Performance at 96-1512mhz:

Smartass/SIO
    Hyper/Deadline
    Samsung/Deadlne
    lulzactive/Deadline
    Savagedzed/Deadline

Best Performance (worst battery): 384-???mhz

Gaming/Deadline
    Performance/Deadline
    Did you read the announcement? (page header)

Contributors
    Emmanuel U
    Source Code: https://github.com/EmmanuelU/wild_kernel_samsung_msm8660/tree/android-msm-hercules-3.0

Kernel Special Features: Too many features to list, just install it.... now.

Version Information
    Current Stable Version: 013
    Stable Release Date: 2015-01-29

Created 2014-05-28
    Last Updated 2015-02-01
    A lil progress

I finally had time to do some kernel work (been so busy last few weeks), and I managed to get CyanogenMod booting and stable with the 009 (I built CM from source alongside WildKernel). This is a good sign, however when I extract the same boot.img to flash on other latest roms I still get the same issue. Still workin on it :good:

attachment.php
    Update

v007 is out and this is one is has a numerous instability patches, that plagued previous versions...go check it out! Enjoy this one as future versions will include a lil extra present *cough* *cough* custom app for WildKernel *cough* *maybe* *cough*
    Long overdue update, enjoy
    v003 and v004 Beta updated for Android 4.4.4

Small but much needed update for the kernels today. 003 and 004 beta now have support for Android 4.4.4, aswell as other previous 4.4 versions.

I recommend only using the v004 beta if you experience graphical issues with v003, otherwise I recommend v003 as it has better battery life (initial kernel base). I'll have it in this format until I can create/kang a kernel base that is stable for all while maintaining the original battery life that you can get with the current v003 (assuming you don't have a sh*tty battery :p). Good day guys.