Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,805,427 Members 40,117 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Does the screen hurt anyone else's eyes?

Tip us?

xda-soar
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Default Does the screen hurt anyone else's eyes?

I feel like the screen from my new note makes my eyes ache and get blurry after extended use. Does anyone else have this experience? I am wondering if it is the WQXGA LCD screen that is doing it. I didn't have eye strain with my last tab, the asus tf101, which admittedly had a much lower resolution IPS screen. I also didn't notice eye strain for the short time I had the tf700, another asus with an IPS screen which I ended up returning for the note. So maybe IPS screens are better for me.

I tried reducing the brightness on the note and have it in movie mode but I still notice the pain. I am not sure if this pain will go away after time or I am imagining it.

If anyone has any experience with this I would appreciate hearing about it.

Thanks very much in advance.
The Following User Says Thank You to xda-soar For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Grykonmon
Old
Thanks Meter 6
So is my first time with a touch device, and with this resolution. I didnt experienced that... I am pretty sure that is only you: (or maybe, you just need vitamins )

I dont have any medical problems in my eyes, I dont need glasses... I never experienced something like that (just something weird in my fingers) but actually my boyfriend does...

He feels the same as you... But in this case, his problem is different... After a long time with the same problem, he experienced random nosebleed's... Like pression. The only thing that helped him is just the use of eyeglasses. But maybe is not the same thing, so dont worry, im just saying my opinion.

What else do you feel? Surely your eyes got tired, or you just need glasses for that. Something else that you want to say? Greetings! (And sorry for my bad english.)

Sent from my SM-P600 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

jnichols2
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by xda-soar View Post
I feel like the screen from my new note makes my eyes ache and get blurry after extended use. Does anyone else have this experience? I am wondering if it is the WQXGA LCD screen that is doing it. I didn't have eye strain with my last tab, the asus tf101, which admittedly had a much lower resolution IPS screen. I also didn't notice eye strain for the short time I had the tf700, another asus with an IPS screen which I ended up returning for the note. So maybe IPS screens are better for me.

I tried reducing the brightness on the note and have it in movie mode but I still notice the pain. I am not sure if this pain will go away after time or I am imagining it.

If anyone has any experience with this I would appreciate hearing about it.

Thanks very much in advance.
Your Note probably has smaller text than the other tablets. Now your eyes are straining to see the smaller text.

The cheap solution is Drugstore reading glasses, which may or may not help you.
The best solution is a visit to your optometrist. It happens to most of us.

xda-soar
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Thanks for the replies. I have used other 10 inch tablets and I have not had a problem with them. Why would the text be smaller on the Note if I am looking at the same web page in Chrome, for example, at the same zoom level as another 10 inch tab like the transformer tf101 or tf700?
The Following User Says Thank You to xda-soar For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jnichols2
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by xda-soar View Post
Thanks for the replies. I have used other 10 inch tablets and I have not had a problem with them. Why would the text be smaller on the Note if I am looking at the same web page in Chrome, for example, at the same zoom level as another 10 inch tab like the transformer tf101 or tf700?
The higher the resolution, the smaller the "default" font.

A 10" 800 x 600 screen will use a larger font, while a 10" 1920 x 1080 can take advantage of the resolution by using a smaller font.

The normal eye can make out smaller text if it's "clear". Lower resolution screens have fuzzier text.

The Note's 1920 x 1080 screen is the "clearest" on the market, beating the Apple by a wide margin. Any other 10" tablet you look at will be less clear than the Note.

GalaxyNotesTx
Old
Thanks Meter 56
The only thing that hurts my eyes are reading all these stupid complaints about this tablet. This has got to be the most idiotic thing I have ever heard. Take vitamins, get glasses and get Laid..

Sent from my SM-P600 using XDA Premium HD app

supremekizzle
Old
Thanks Meter 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyNotesTx View Post
The only thing that hurts my eyes are reading all these stupid complaints about this tablet. This has got to be the most idiotic thing I have ever heard. Take vitamins, get glasses and get Laid..

Sent from my SM-P600 using XDA Premium HD app
No need to be rude. This guy has a legitimate question. Sorry if it's not up to your forum standards, but this is the Q&A forum and he had a Q. No need to be a douche bag about it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to supremekizzle For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

arbit12
Old
Thanks Meter 3
I had the same problem. Two things helped

1. Got an app named Lux from Play Store. Excellent for reducing eye strain especially at night.

2. Installed a screen cover - matte anti reflective. Also has the advantage of being fingerprint resistive. Amazon has several brands.S-pen works just fine with it.
The Following User Says Thank You to arbit12 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Geordie Affy
Old
(Last edited by Geordie Affy; 29th May 2014 at 11:01 PM.)
Thanks Meter 112
I get blurry eyes and what not like @xda-soar mensioned thanks to using the tablet in a dark environment. I didnt even know an app existed that can lower the brightness further (esp in stock Android) so Thanks for that @arbit12 the Lux app is awesome and Thanks @xda-soar for asking the "idiotic" ( )question as otherwise I'd probs had never found this app. :thumbup:

Sent from Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition via Tapatalk.
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition (WiFi)
Samsung Galaxy SIII

graewulf1
Old
Thanks Meter 13
If your eyes hurt, yo u are either reading a bright screen in a dark room, or you need new glasses. The tablet isn't the culprit, eye strain is. I have no issue with the screen at all, and I use it quite a bit.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk