Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,785,988 Members 54,606 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum
View Poll Results: Your opinion about the guide?
Good guide, flashed CM11 successfully. 6 60.00%
Bad guide, didn't flash CM11 successfully. 0 0%
Don't mind me, just voting for no reason.. 4 40.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

[GUIDE] How to install CM11 on S4 mini, quick/small guide

Tip us?

leripe
Old
(Last edited by leripe; 3rd August 2014 at 02:16 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 697
Default [GUIDE] How to install CM11 on S4 mini, quick/small guide

How to install CM11 on official international S4 mini LTE(serranoltexx) and 3G(serrano3gxx) variants only:

• Don't use this guide for any other variants of S4 Mini.
  • Check the notes below before doing anything or asking anything, if it already answers your question, thanks!

• Root and install using ONLY CWM recovery (latest version is 6.0.4.8) and the guides in these threads:
    Available here: [RECOVERY][ROOT] Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini LTE (GT-I9195)
    Available here: [RECOVERY][ROOT] Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini 3G (GT-I9190)

• Download the CM11 rom file for your device from http://get.cm/?device=serranoltexx or http://get.cm/?device=serrano3gxx and copy the file you downloaded into your sdcard(external or internal) along with the
    Google Applications(gapps-kk-20140606-signed.zip for Android 4.4.3 / CM11, also ART compatible) (Optional, but recommended) (goo.im is not yet listing kitkat gapps) (also the gapps is only for 4.4.3 and up so it's for nightly roms).

• Boot into CWM (Vol Up + Home just as the phone is booting up, navigate using Vol buttons, HOME to select, POWER to back).
  • Make a backup of your NANDroid (Optional, but recommended - Do this so you can return to your previous ROM).
  • Select "wipe data/factory reset" and press Yes. (This also wipes cache and dalvik cache.)
  • Go to Install zip from sdcard -> Choose zip from /sdcard, which you have put the rom file on (sdcard/ is internal and sdcard1/ is external).
  • Browse to it and flash the cm-11-2014xxxx-XXXX-serranoltexx/3gxx.zip file FIRST (nightly / M1 / RC / stable) by selecting and pressing Yes.
  • Then flash the gapps file like you just flashed the rom file. (Optional, but recommended).

Notes:

• Moved this guide to here to save space from CM11 bug discussion thread.

• This can brick your device, void your warranty and kill your cat if you don't follow the guides to the letter or you use these guides for the wrong S4 Mini variants like GT-I9192, Sprint(JDQ39.L520 or SPH-L520), SHV-E370K, SGH-I257M, SCH-R890, GT-I9195T and GT-I9197 etc.. These other variants aren't officially supported, but if you want to root them etc. search other threads from these S4 Mini forums for guides.

• You can save the files either to internal or external sdcard. sdcard/ is internal and sdcard1/ is external.
  • Factory reset also wipes cache and dalvik cache.
  • Factory reset wipes data, but it doesn't wipe your internal sdcard (or external). Only data stuff like apps, settings for a rom etc., example pictures and other media stuff are saved.
  • When you flash a rom, the flashing script formats /system before flashing the rom.
  • If you download the rom files with phone the default path for the files in CWM recovery is: Install zip from sdcard -> Choose zip from /sdcard -> 0/ -> Download/.
  • Check this thread for more info about rooting and stuff related on CWM.

• On the CWM install guide there's a step "10: Optional: Flash GT-I9195_Kernel_v1.zip to use a custom stock kernel, which might fix battery drain for some." This kernel is only for the stock samsung rom and not for CM11.
  • On the CWM install guide there's a S4Mini_RootKit_v2.zip, it's meant for stock samsung rom and not for CM11.

• Upgrading to newer nightly: You can just flash it over the old one, but it's highly recommend to always backup before flashing newer nightly. Also some people like to wipe cache and dalvik cache before flashing newer one, but it's not necessary.

• Root and root app is integrated into CM11 rom, so you don't need to flash rootkit or install superuser app.
  • CWM aka ClockworkMod is the official Cyanogenmod recovery and the only one I recommend using.
  • CM aka Cyanogenmod.
  • The number 11 of CM tells which android version it's based on. CM11 is based on android 4.4.x KitKat, which is the latest one.

• If you get warnings about applications doing not permitted actions, delete the following files from system/app, or let SuperSU fix it for you. KNOXAgent.apk, KNOXStore.apk and ContainerAgent.apk.
  • "Set Warranty Bit kernel" message means that your warranty is void depending on the country where you live (In EU it might still be under warranty, USA not. For others google). This happened because you had KNOX firmware installed on your phone when you bought it or you got one when you upgraded your stock rom. This can not be reseted yet.
  • What is knox?

• (Not recommended at the moment, has bugs, date 3 aug 2014) Recommended app when using nightlies: For downloading smaller updates instead of whole nightlies, check CyanDelta updater app.
  • Recommended app when using nightlies: For making nandroid backups without booting to recovery, check this app (also has pro version).
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to leripe For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Weekend'
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Thanks for this tutorial.
When saying sd card, do you mean ext sd card? noob here sry

Sent from my GT-I9195 using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to Weekend' For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

leripe
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 697
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend' View Post
Thanks for this tutorial.
When saying sd card, do you mean ext sd card? noob here sry

It doesn't really matter. I would prefer external but you can try both if one of them doesn't work.

Weekend'
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by leripe View Post
It doesn't really matter. I would prefer external but you can try both if one of them doesn't work.
Okay awesome.
Two last questions before I do it:
Is it possible to get a hardbrick if I mess up?
Dont you have to wipe cache?

Thanks.

The Following User Says Thank You to Weekend' For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

leripe
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 697
Of course there's always a chance if you don't follow the guides or flash wrong stuff for wrong device. But with these guides and the right models, there's really no chance of it.
Anyhow flashing is always at your own risk so you can only blame yourself if your flashing kills your cat.

Weekend'
Old
Thanks Meter 9
On other tutorials it says you have to wipe cache and Delvik cache. Is that optional=?
+ I downloaded the nightly version and gapps over my phone. Can i leave them in the download folder or will they be gone after data wipe?

leripe
Old
(Last edited by leripe; 15th March 2014 at 04:33 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 697
Quote:
On other tutorials it says you have to wipe cache and Delvik cache. Is that optional=?
+ I downloaded the nightly version and gapps over my phone. Can i leave them in the download folder or will they be gone after data wipe?
Quote:
Select "wipe data/factory reset" and press Yes.
Go to Mounts and storage, Select format /system and press Yes.
Factory reset also wipes cache and you can also wipe the dalvik too.

No they won't be, data wipe doesn't wipe your internal sdcard. Only data stuff like apps, settings for a rom etc., example pictures and other media stuff are saved.

Edit: Thanks for you questions, now I have added answers to them into the FAQ so I don't have to answer these again and now the guide is even better

Weekend'
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Thanks and np I guess.
Will do it now.

Weekend'
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Is it normal for the reboot to take 30-45 minuts?

leripe
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 697
Quote:
Is it normal for the reboot to take 30-45 minuts?

No. You are probably bootlooping, suggest you recover your backup and try boot with it or flash newer/earlier nightly.
Check this thread's 1st post and the latest posts for info if some new nightly causes bootloops. Example 14th nightly caused bootloop.

Tags
cm11, guide, i9190, i9195, s4mini