Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,743,029 Members 43,681 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Boot from external

Tip us?

Muhff
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Default Boot from external

Bit of a ridiculous question I know.. Is there anyway to install/boot from sdcard1(external)? If a computer can do it why can't my smartphone? My internal memory is shot, was trying to find another way around buying a new phone...

Sent from my Desire HD using XDA Free mobile app

vincom
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3298

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhff View Post
Bit of a ridiculous question I know.. Is there anyway to install/boot from sdcard1(external)? If a computer can do it why can't my smartphone? My internal memory is shot, was trying to find another way around buying a new phone...

Sent from my Desire HD using XDA Free mobile app
short answer, no
long answer, on pc's you can control the boot process through the bios, u cant on android or any other smart device afaik

Hit The Thanks Button If Ive Helped

MY SUPERLITE ROMS
CM10.1 & CM10.2
AOKP JB4.3
SL-PAC-Man JB 4.3
CM10 JB 4.1.2
ATT JB 4.1.2
ROGERS JB 4.1.2
MY STICKIES
1 STOP > ROMS | KERNELS | FIRMWARE | RADIOS | RECOVERIES | GUIDES | INFO | & MORE
HOWTO > | RESTORE TO STOCK | USE ODIN | INSTALL CWM/TWRP | ROOT |

Newbs B4 you flash
Read more!!
Read the stickies!!! Search!!!
Once you know what you are doing and are stumped at a certain problem, post in the q&a forum
The Following User Says Thank You to vincom For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

crazymonkey05
Old
Thanks Meter 198

DONATE TO ME
I'm not sure about the snapdragon s3 but on the snaps s4 on the galaxy s3 if the processor fails to boot from the emmc (like trying to downgrade the bootloader on a triped e-fuse) it will then try to boot from the SD card (this has fixed a lot of hardbricked galaxy s3s and probably any other snap s4 phone)......another possibility is multibooting....I had a Sony xperia play and I could boot my main ROM along with 2 other Roms that were on my sdcard

Sent from my ATT Samsung Galaxy SIII using TapaTalk
If i helped hit the thanks button.

Current Device: Samsung Galaxy SIII (SGH-I747)

ROM: Stock Touchwiz Rom

Kernel: Stock 3.0.31-2024954

Previous Devices: Motorola Droid 1, Pantech Crossover, Motorola Droid X, LG Revolution, Sony Ericsson Xperia Play (r800x)
The Following User Says Thank You to crazymonkey05 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]