Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,728,510 Members 55,162 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Bulk S5

Tip us?

vulcanvillalta
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 26
Default [Q] Bulk S5

I want to get more into buying and selling online to supplement my income. Would anyone happen to know where I can buy bulk S5's or other phones at a discount to resell? I do craigslist etc, but I want to buy big and then sell individuals.

bearwrestler1999
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Sometimes I use auctionzip.com and buy stuff from there to sell. Maybe not phones, but other stuff.

Airax
Old
Thanks Meter 17
Which country are you in?

vulcanvillalta
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airax View Post
Which country are you in?
I'm in the US.

mediumsteak
Old
Thanks Meter 34
It might be quite difficult for you to earn an acceptable level of profit if you have little connections and expertise in this area.
This is a very saturated industry with smartphone vendors on every street corner.

Imagine that I am a customer who is looking to purchase a smart phone. My options would typically include:
-carriers such as T-Mobile and AT&T
-brick and mortar retailers such as Wal-Mart
-online retailers such as Amazon and Expansys
-specialized boutique stores that offer a multitude of international smartphones

Now consider the difficulty that you will face trying to compete with the organizations I mentioned above. Why would I choose to purchase a phone from you when I can buy from the bigger, more trustworthy and credible companies?

Of course, you could make a few dollars here and there, but the profit you make will not be worth your time and effort. You can probably earn more handling the cash register at Burger King.
The Following User Says Thank You to mediumsteak For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Airax
Old
Thanks Meter 17
There are a couple of questions you'll need to think about if you want to proceed with this.
1) What's your USP? Why should people buy from you vs more established players?
2) SIM Free stock of hot hands is always tight at launch. Why would a supplier sell you 20 units when there regular customer wants 2000?
3) You are likely to get poorer pricing than comptitors, how are you planning to compete?
4) Amazon will match and undercut you even if it's a loss maker. How will you compete?
5) Need to think how much margin your aiming to make. On SIM Free the margins are very slim. You will need some serious volume to make it worth while.
6) Returns can kill any money you make. It takes maybe 1 customer returning a phone that can't be sold as new to wipe the money made on 10 sales.
7) SIM Free phones are expensive so need to think about cash flow. Where do you spend your money. What happens if you buy the wrong phone or pay too much and the market moves.
8) Is there a market? Is it growing or shrinking? If it's growing who is it growing for and why. The UK SIM Free market is 3-4% but growing now as we see a shift away from subsidy and longer device life cycles.
9) what are your margin aspirations? How much do you need to make per device to earn a living after all your costs. Trust me it'll be slim.

There are some tough questions to ask. Telecoms is beginning to mature and the days of 1 man bands being able to make it big are ending (witness the death of indi phone shops in the UK).

Look for a niche you can exploit. I've seen business make a success from from boring SIM Cards and others from accessories.

I don't want to put you on a downer. If you have good answers to the above and think you can make it work go for it. If you think "I'll buy do so so some phones and just sell at a profit" your doomed to fail.

Think, plan and don't be afraid to try something else.
The Following User Says Thank You to Airax For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

h-e-a-v-e-n
Old
Thanks Meter 9
i have nothing to say much to OP but what i can say is @Airax is in so many point right ...i have this expernices in my past and every think what @Airax say is real life truth ..

sorry for my bad english..

@op don't be afraid to try something else or to ask ;D

vulcanvillalta
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 26
Quote:
There are a couple of questions you'll need to think about if you want to proceed with this.
1) What's your USP? Why should people buy from you vs more established players?
2) SIM Free stock of hot hands is always tight at launch. Why would a supplier sell you 20 units when there regular customer wants 2000?
3) You are likely to get poorer pricing than comptitors, how are you planning to compete?
4) Amazon will match and undercut you even if it's a loss maker. How will you compete?
5) Need to think how much margin your aiming to make. On SIM Free the margins are very slim. You will need some serious volume to make it worth while.
6) Returns can kill any money you make. It takes maybe 1 customer returning a phone that can't be sold as new to wipe the money made on 10 sales.
7) SIM Free phones are expensive so need to think about cash flow. Where do you spend your money. What happens if you buy the wrong phone or pay too much and the market moves.
8) Is there a market? Is it growing or shrinking? If it's growing who is it growing for and why. The UK SIM Free market is 3-4% but growing now as we see a shift away from subsidy and longer device life cycles.
9) what are your margin aspirations? How much do you need to make per device to earn a living after all your costs. Trust me it'll be slim.

There are some tough questions to ask. Telecoms is beginning to mature and the days of 1 man bands being able to make it big are ending (witness the death of indi phone shops in the UK).

Look for a niche you can exploit. I've seen business make a success from from boring SIM Cards and others from accessories.

I don't want to put you on a downer. If you have good answers to the above and think you can make it work go for it. If you think "I'll buy do so so some phones and just sell at a profit" your doomed to fail.

Think, plan and don't be afraid to try something else.
I appreciate your thorough response. I am a vendor on amazon and on ebay, and I'm getting tired of just selling small time junk. I have a real job that pays pretty well, but I was thinking about expanding my online stuff for more personal cash flow. The general consensus of this post all seem to agree that I cannot over power the big dogs, and I accept that. I will continue to search for more ideas, though. There is so much money to be made on the internet, I just hate to keep wasting my time with $20-30 orders. (But every bit does count, and I'd rather have $20 than $0.

Airax
Old
Thanks Meter 17
Then look at accessories. I know lots of former colleagues that are doing lots of good business. Not just phone accessorise but laptop/tablet stuff. There are lots of disti/manufactures who will clear stuff at ridiculous prices and a chance to make some serious money. However you have to know the right people and have the acumen to buy right. It's easy to get tempted by stuff because it's cheap and waste money on products you can't sell.
Again I've seen people make this mistake.

-Airax

bearwrestler1999
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Then look at accessories. I know lots of former colleagues that are doing lots of good business. Not just phone accessorise but laptop/tablet stuff. There are lots of disti/manufactures who will clear stuff at ridiculous prices and a chance to make some serious money. However you have to know the right people and have the acumen to buy right. It's easy to get tempted by stuff because it's cheap and waste money on products you can't sell.
Again I've seen people make this mistake.

-Airax
I'm a little interested too--- do you have any companies in mind? If not, ndb. I'm in America, too, if that makes a difference.