Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,492 Members 39,394 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

What would make you want an iPhone?

Tip us?
justinisloco Old
Thanks Meter
Default What would make you want an iPhone?

Don't rip my head off for this one.

I'm on vacation, and have to out my phone in airplane mode for the week. I can only do hangouts with people who either have the app, or have android, and use the app. My gf on the other hand, can iMessage all of her friends, video chat with all her friends, etc. Also, my work emails will only work on iPhone, or on android with an outdated gingerbread styled app.

My question is this -

Hypothetically, if the iPhone had a 5" screen, and allowed widgets and launchers, what would you need the iPhone to have in order for you to switch?

I don't think I would switch because I love the look of android, but I feel like I'm waiting for the OS to unify better between OEM makers, and that doesn't seem to be in the near future. I'm jut curious about everyone else's thoughts.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

GreenMean
Old
Thanks Meter 56
iOS suckssss. Its boring. There's no customizability. The hardware is nice though, but android manufacturers are now starting to also make some really nice hardware as well.

Only way I'd take iPhone is if I could flash KitKat on it.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using XDA Free mobile app

TheLastSidekick
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1935

DONATE TO ME
Nothing would make me want an iPhone. Not now not ever. That thing is insanely pointless, and has crappy software with random bugs. Not even the hardware is good and it costs a fortune.

I'd guess making expensive apps so all the rich and upper middle class people would buy them.. Cause rich people constantly know nothing about technology and populate themselves with iDevices just because they think it's good because it's expensive and popular.

Team Inferno (Co-admin)

rootSU
Old
Thanks Meter 10063
1) Android
2) redesign

Want to root/unroot? All important guides and info threads are contained within the "Sticky Roll-up" thread in General. Click the link below to get there!

Philz Touch Recovery with passkey secure lock

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM.

ej8989
Old
Thanks Meter 410
When google buys apple.
PHONE
Model: Nexus 5 D820 32GB Black
ROM: Mahdi 2.7 [4.4.4]
Boot Animation: ParanoidAndroid
Display Tweak: Nexus Display Control
Root / Unbrick / Return to stock: Wug's Nexus Root Toolkit

OTHER DEVICES
Nexus S i9023, CM11, Dead
Galaxy Ace Plus S7500, Speedmod Kitkat 4.4.2

rootSU
Old
Thanks Meter 10063
Quote:
Originally Posted by ej8989 View Post
When google buys apple.
If that happens, hope they sell beats.

Want to root/unroot? All important guides and info threads are contained within the "Sticky Roll-up" thread in General. Click the link below to get there!

Philz Touch Recovery with passkey secure lock

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM.

jj14
Old
(Last edited by jj14; 29th May 2014 at 02:11 PM.)
Thanks Meter 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinisloco View Post
I'm on vacation, and have to out my phone in airplane mode for the week. I can only do hangouts with people who either have the app, or have android, and use the app. My gf on the other hand, can iMessage all of her friends, video chat with all her friends, etc. Also, my work emails will only work on iPhone, or on android with an outdated gingerbread styled app.
You could have used Google Voice app to text (SMS) your friends (regardless of whether they had iMessage or Hangouts installed), and could have used hangouts/skype for video chatting.

Work Emails, well, yeah, that sucks, My employer (over 75000 employees worldwide) doesn't have an Android app to access the secure network. When some employees (on a quarterly call with a few thousand employees) asked a senior VP "Why no android app", he responded, and I quote, "because as you all know, Android is so easily hacked, and is insecure". Numbnuts!

Yes, I (along with several others) sent Emails to him explaining the facts (and he said that he'll talk to the IT team to see what was needed to get an Android app developed), but the point is that Android development has been on the backburner for many corporations for many (stupid) reasons.

Would I switch to iPhone? If they provided the ability to use launchers/widgets, *and* the ability to sideload apps, *and* the ability to install adaway type apps, *and* the ability to use tasker type app, and they had the screen size that I wanted, and had deep Google Now integration, sure, why not... It would just be another "Android" phone by that time
justinisloco Old
Thanks Meter
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj14 View Post
You could have used Google Voice app to text (SMS) your friends (regardless of whether they had iMessage or Hangouts installed), and could have used hangouts/skype for video chatting.

Work Emails, well, yeah, that sucks, My employer (over 75000 employees worldwide) doesn't have an Android app to access the secure network. When some employees (on a quarterly call with a few thousand employees) asked a senior VP "Why no android app", he responded, and I quote, "because as you all know, Android is so easily hacked, and is insecure". Numbnuts!

Yes, I (along with several others) sent Emails to him explaining the facts (and he said that he'll talk to the IT team to see what was needed to get an Android app developed), but the point is that Android development has been on the backburner for many corporations for many (stupid) reasons.

Would I switch to iPhone? If they provided the ability to use launchers/widgets, *and* the ability to sideload apps, *and* the ability to install adaway type apps, *and* the ability to use tasker type app, and they had the screen size that I wanted, and had deep Google Now integration, sure, why not... It would just be another "Android" phone by that time
See, that's the beauty and beast about android. I love that you can sideload or install an app to do what you want to do, but I don't like the fact that its not integrated better. That's the thing that made me (consider) the iPhone.

For things that I really wish Google would do, is force OEM makers to do specific things to the OS of the phone. For example, integrate hangouts as the main texting app, that way we android users can hangout with each other. The user can download their own texting app if they choose, but at least make the stock one hangouts. Because almost all my android friends have Samsung's, and I have yet to see hangouts being used by them.

jj14
Old
Thanks Meter 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinisloco View Post
See, that's the beauty and beast about android. I love that you can sideload or install an app to do what you want to do, but I don't like the fact that its not integrated better. That's the thing that made me (consider) the iPhone.

For things that I really wish Google would do, is force OEM makers to do specific things to the OS of the phone. For example, integrate hangouts as the main texting app, that way we android users can hangout with each other. The user can download their own texting app if they choose, but at least make the stock one hangouts. Because almost all my android friends have Samsung's, and I have yet to see hangouts being used by them.
Thing is, some people (me included) like the fact that Google doesn't (yet) force me to use a specific app for a specific purpose. Samsung/HTC and others do bundle their own apps (that can't be uninstalled), and most users call that bloat.

It is rumored that Google will bring VoIP calling capability to Hangouts in the near future (as it did for iOS last year). Once that happens, I would expect more users would install Hangouts (even if it wasn't installed by default). Whether they use it as their texting app would depend on them, but at least you would still be able to use video hangouts with your friends then.

About your first few statements - what is not integrated? From what I know about iOS, Google's integration is just as good (if not better), without taking away the ability of the user to choose a different app for a specific need. Unlike iOS, Android allows you to choose the default app for any action. In my opinion, that provides the best integration.
justinisloco Old
Thanks Meter
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj14 View Post
Thing is, some people (me included) like the fact that Google doesn't (yet) force me to use a specific app for a specific purpose. Samsung/HTC and others do bundle their own apps (that can't be uninstalled), and most users call that bloat.

It is rumored that Google will bring VoIP calling capability to Hangouts in the near future (as it did for iOS last year). Once that happens, I would expect more users would install Hangouts (even if it wasn't installed by default). Whether they use it as their texting app would depend on them, but at least you would still be able to use video hangouts with your friends then.

About your first few statements - what is not integrated? From what I know about iOS, Google's integration is just as good (if not better), without taking away the ability of the user to choose a different app for a specific need. Unlike iOS, Android allows you to choose the default app for any action. In my opinion, that provides the best integration.
The default app switching is the biggest part keeping me where I belong. I know I switched to am iPhone for a week and it was the worst.

This Whole thread, by the way, is not to convince me to keep my phone. I love this phone, but just was curious what would make you hardcore android fans switch.

Edit -as far as the bloat, its not bloat I'm talking about, I meant specifically the text app