M8 rear camera cover scratches

25th May 2014, 09:34 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag UT
Thanks Meter: 325

2,151 posts
More
So, I've had my m8 for a month and a half maybe, with a spigen slim armor case on it at all times. After cleaning my rear lens cover yesterday ( with a soft microfiber cloth) I noticed many small scratches right above the lens area.. Seriously?? I am super careful with my phone, considering I'm really into mobile photography as well. Is the cover made out of plastic?? Whenever I had whipped it in the past, always used extreme care. I can't believe that it's scratched.. Really bums me out that htc would use such weak materials to cover the camera lens. Other than that, the phone is great, no doubt. I can't imagine what it's going to look like in 6 months though.. Any others noticed the same ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
26th May 2014, 03:22 AM   |  #2  
Fort Worth
Thanks Meter: 58

840 posts
More
Mine is scratched to hell . my pics look hazy . there has been a lot of people with the same issue and some have been getting there's replaced .

Sent from my 831C using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
26th May 2014, 10:22 AM   |  #3  
Flag Charlottesville Va
Thanks Meter: 166

570 posts
More
After reading some threads like this I ordered a protector to cover both lenses. Wish I could remember the name now, but you get 2 sets for $3 and I've not seen any effect in pictures. God I wish I could remember the name. Would search but late for work.

Edit: Slickwraps.com
Last edited by jfcooley; 26th May 2014 at 10:31 AM.
27th May 2014, 06:37 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 438

1,164 posts
do you guys have cases cuz i have a
OB and mine are fine!
27th May 2014, 01:31 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 105

637 posts
More
Mine!
I do not use a case, my preference.
My camera window is also scratched with a lot of micro scratches.
My question is, if people are replacing the windows, where are they purchasing the part from? Anyone have a link to a replacement parts site?
28th May 2014, 03:05 AM   |  #6  
Fort Worth
Thanks Meter: 58

840 posts
More
I use a tpu case . this is the only smart phone I've had that had this issue and I've owned a lot .

28th May 2014, 04:15 AM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 79

546 posts
stop putting your phone in your pocket often
28th May 2014, 05:06 AM   |  #8  
Flag hammond
Thanks Meter: 14

118 posts
More
I actually was able to remove scratches...I sprayed resurfacing fluid from a CD scratch repair kit then put a dab of toothpaste on my fingertip and rubbed it in for about a min or two....scratches gone and pics are clear

The Following User Says Thank You to Mindripper72 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
28th May 2014, 06:09 AM   |  #9  
OP Senior Member
Flag UT
Thanks Meter: 325

2,151 posts
More
After doing some additional research, I found many people having the same issue, that is possibly caused by heating, resulting in the coating not sticking correctly. There is also the assumption that the protective coating was never removed when manufacturing/assembly. I noticed that with slight pressure with just my fingernail on the front camera , same thing happens.. the coating scratches. And btw (for who thinks this is the cause) having the phone in your pocket has zero effect on this issue. I baby my phone , and always have a case on it, and would never put in anything else. Glad there is a simple fix, by removing the coating. However, a good idea would be to purchase a lens protector from slickwrapes just in case.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk
28th May 2014, 10:22 AM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 438

1,164 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duce HD2

After doing some additional research, I found many people having the same issue, that is possibly caused by heating, resulting in the coating not sticking correctly. There is also the assumption that the protective coating was never removed when manufacturing/assembly. I noticed that with slight pressure with just my fingernail on the front camera , same thing happens.. the coating scratches. And btw (for who thinks this is the cause) having the phone in your pocket has zero effect on this issue. I baby my phone , and always have a case on it, and would never put in anything else. Glad there is a simple fix, by removing the coating. However, a good idea would be to purchase a lens protector from slickwrapes just in case.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

they why do i have the issuse, i even keep it in my purse at times

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread