[Q] ZTE Midnight (Z768G) Boot issues

Search This thread

Tuluka

May 30, 2014
I rooted this phone and used link2sd to move some apps and free up internal memory. I think I moved the dialer app to sd, and shortly after the phone crashed, and restarting it was stuck in a boot loop. I went into recovery mode and did a factory reset. After doing this, it would make it all the way to the Welcome to Z768G screen. It says "Touch the android to begin" and has two buttons at the bottom, Emergency Dial and Change Language. When I touch the android it seems to react to my touch, but nothing happens. If I push Emergency Dial, an error message pops up that says "The application Setup Wizard(process com.android.setupwizard) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again. With a Force Close button, pushing it brings me back to the Welcome screen with no change.

I've searched around all day reading through any information I can find on this phone, I believe my best chance would be restoring it in recovery mode via an sd card update. I have not had any luck finding an update.zip that will work with this phone. I thought this was the same phone as the Concord (Z768 I think), but using files for it has not helped me, only results in an error message.

Any advice, tips or a swift kick in the butt to get me going in the right direction would be greatly appreciated!

Tuluka

May 30, 2014
So I contacted customer service. ZTE quickly sent me to straight talk. The poor straight talk guy was even more clueless then I.

I'm at your mercy, I'll continue searching for a solution, if I manage to find anything I'll update this thread in case anyone else runs into this problem.

Tuluka

May 30, 2014
When all else fails

return it to walmart!

Thanks for those who took the time to read and consider.

duffnip

Jun 2, 2014
I rooted this phone and used link2sd to move some apps and free up internal memory. I think I moved the dialer app to sd, and shortly after the phone crashed, and restarting it was stuck in a boot loop. I went into recovery mode and did a factory reset. After doing this, it would make it all the way to the Welcome to Z768G screen. It says "Touch the android to begin" and has two buttons at the bottom, Emergency Dial and Change Language. When I touch the android it seems to react to my touch, but nothing happens. If I push Emergency Dial, an error message pops up that says "The application Setup Wizard(process com.android.setupwizard) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again. With a Force Close button, pushing it brings me back to the Welcome screen with no change.

I've searched around all day reading through any information I can find on this phone, I believe my best chance would be restoring it in recovery mode via an sd card update. I have not had any luck finding an update.zip that will work with this phone. I thought this was the same phone as the Concord (Z768 I think), but using files for it has not helped me, only results in an error message.

Any advice, tips or a swift kick in the butt to get me going in the right direction would be greatly appreciated!

Hi, can ask how you rooted this phone,as I have been searching and haven't found an answer that works yet.

Thanks.

Flotzilla

Aug 2, 2015
Sun City
Hi, can ask how you rooted this phone,as I have been searching and haven't found an answer that works yet.

Thanks.

I have the Tracfone version of this phone. I used KangoROOT from my PC, which I wouldn't recommend. Kango claimed that the root was a success, yet rootchecker app said unsuccessful. Now I am in the exact same situation as Tuluka. The only option left is to find a update.zip file for THIS specific phone.. Don't get yourself stuck in this bootloop!