Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[MOD] 4.3 Tether Unlock MJ7 & MK2 + enable all toggles (1/20/14)

OP Surge1223

5th November 2013, 11:36 AM   |  #1  
OP Recognized Contributor
Flag Iowa
Thanks Meter: 4,486

1,799 posts
Donate to Me
More
Enable all toggles + unlock native Tethering

If you have Safestrap installed and are on a MK2 or MJ7 rom/build you can flash the corresponding zip below and you will unlock native built-in tethering and also get all the toggles including the usually absent Wifi Hotspot toggle. Both versions have been tested and confirmed to be work. This also enables all the missing toggles, not only the Wifi Hotspot toggle. Toggle issue = solved. If you don't have Safestrap then let me know, I'll write up a script to do the same thing if needed.

@Scottchy014 made an awesome video of the process that you can watch here

Devs/Modders/Themers - You can use my script without my permission and you don't need to give me credit. I don't do this for ego/pride I'm already narcissistic enough as it is.

I545VRUFNC5_Tether_unlock_&_toggle.zip
md5:690b28f995fe7b33d2f1407a25b1abea

MJ7 Tether unlock w/ toggle
md5:b382d98e112adc5e48c7b37b2bb4bd6a

MK2 Tether unlock w/ toggle
md5:12e3eab158521d355ddd3956f340cf70

Verizon Galaxy S4 VRUEMJ7 Tether unlock

Unlocks WifiHotspot, USB Tether, and Bluetooth
Developed by Surge1223
11/02/2013

Please read the instructions; accidents while flashing framework-res.apk can and do happen and those mistakes lead to having to use full Odin restore tars. I almost made open1your1eyes0 brick had he not caught my mistake in the code. Luckily he was nice enough to test again, luckily that one worked

Instructions:

(Try the alternate method below first, it seems to work with less errors, but if you insist on using the script then FOR MK2 replace all instances of "MJ7" below with "MK2")

1. Extract MJ7_tether_unlock.zip and move the MJ7_tether_unlock folder to the root
of your micro sdcard so the structure looks like this: /mnt/extSdCard/MJ7_tether_unlock/
also make sure you have busybox installed and are using SuperSu and not the chinese superuser.
Finally, before continuing, remember to disable the Knox apps (5 I believe?) and security apps (the 4 VZW security apps) install busybox, remove the Chinese superuser, update SuperSu's binaries, enable usb debugging and under security disable verify apps while enabling unknown sources.

2. Download terminal emulator then type the following in terminal:

Code:
su
cd /mnt/extSdCard/MJ7_tether_unlock/
sh tether.sh
3. After that your phone should reboot, and tethering should be unlocked! Also a copy of your original framework-res.apk
can be found in the following directory /mnt/extSdCard/MJ7_tether_unlock/orig-framework-res.apk

4. To restore back to your original framework-res.Code:apk, (i.e, relock tethering) then type the following in terminal:

Code:
su
sh untether.sh
Downloads

MJ7
Download the zip here
Alternate link:
Mirror
MD5
: 029780a103ab8fb4929bb83b2270d6ef
To download just the modded MJ7 framework-res.apk click here

MK2

Download the zip here
MD5
:
ed0e0f974d7d8720690b8eb96461b5f3
To download just the modded
MK2 framework-res.apk click here

ALTERNATE METHOD

DO NOT RENAME the original framework-res.apk file! You will have to use an Odin tar to recover!
1.Download the modded framework-res.apk from here for MJ7 or here for MK2 then copy it to /system first then change framework-res.apk's permissions to rw-r--r-- (chmod 644) and then MOVE it to /system/framework and overwrite framework-res.apk. Then reboot and you should have tethering!

Simply copy and pasting will cause you to boot loop so instead move it to /system first and change the permissions then and only then move it to /system/framework/ and overwrite the original

The Mod itself:

This is from the original arrays.xml

Code:
Code: 

usb\\d
        rndis\\d

wlan0

bt-pan

com.samsung.spg
        com.samsung.spg.NewSPGActivity

This is the modified arrays.xml
Code:
Code

usb\\d
        rndis\\d

wlan0

bt-pan

Give credit to @open1your1eyes0 for testing the second build after I screwed up the first just his input on the shell script and mod in general. Thanks internet, specifically this page. Also @Sir_Eagle for the MK2 framework-res.apk
Last edited by Surge1223; 16th June 2014 at 11:50 PM.
The Following 46 Users Say Thank You to Surge1223 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
5th November 2013, 12:12 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 7

37 posts
Does this work on non rooted devices??
5th November 2013, 12:30 PM   |  #3  
Flag Iowa

1,799 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by phgoodwrench

Does this work on non rooted devices??

Unfortunately, no. It has to overwrite a system file.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app
5th November 2013, 12:32 PM   |  #4  

37 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surge1223

Unfortunately, no. It has to overwrite a system file.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app

Was a stupid question. Just saw the first command in TE was to type SU. Guess I'll root this junk. Been putting it off forever since I didn't want to flash a ROM and tethering worked.
5th November 2013, 12:55 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 1

6 posts
confirmed
I have gs4 Verizon running MJ7 4.3 and used this to unlock my tethering capability.
Thank you for this information and your work!
I have unlimited data plan and was stuck using WiFi router which burned up battery like crazy. This is so much better now.
Thanks again!
The Following User Says Thank You to dimitrisg For This Useful Post: [ View ]
5th November 2013, 02:41 PM   |  #6  
Flag Charlotte, NC
Thanks Meter: 226

1,230 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

I see people complain about not having the Wifi or WifiHotspot toggles working depending on the rom they are on. The solution doesn't require SQLite Editor. You can solve this problem by appending the below to your /system/csc/feature.xml under <!-- Settings --> header by changing system to r/w while edition then chmod back to 644.
[/SIZE]

Code:
<CscFeature_Setting_DefQuickPanelOrder>Wifi;Bluetooth;Location;AirplaneMode;WiFiHotspot;SmartStay;AutoRotate;MobileData;SilentMode;PowerSaving;MultiWindow;AirGesture;AllShareCast;SBeam;Nfc;AirView;Sync;SmartScroll;DrivingMode;DormantMode;BlockMode</CscFeature_Setting_DefQuickPanelOrder>
[/SIZE][SIZE=3]

Not sure what you are saying here can you do a more detailed description?
Thanks

Sent from my VZW Galaxy Note 3
The Following User Says Thank You to Southern_mind For This Useful Post: [ View ]
5th November 2013, 06:06 PM   |  #7  
Flag Boise

34 posts
More
Question
This is an amazing development and greatly appreciated, however, I don't understand the purpose of the APK file? Is this an APK that needs to be installed for any reason?

---------- Post added at 09:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:52 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsyme222

This is an amazing development and greatly appreciated, however, I don't understand the purpose of the APK file? Is this an APK that needs to be installed for any reason?

Terribly sorry! I just read the developer note concerning the APK! OOPS! Forgot to read!

---------- Post added at 10:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:54 AM ----------

Quote:

Verizon Galaxy S4 VRUEMJ7 Tether unlock

Unlocks WifiHotspot, USB Tether, and Bluetooth
Developed by Surge1223
11/02/2013

Please read the instructions; accidents while flashing framework-res.apk can and do happen and those mistakes lead to having to use full Odin restore tars. I almost made open1your1eyes0 brick had he not caught my mistake in the code. Luckily he was nice enough to test again, luckily that one worked

Instructions:

1. Extract MJ7_tether_unlock.zip and move the MJ7_tether_unlock folder to the root
of your micro sdcard so the structure looks like this: /mnt/extSdCard/MJ7_tether_unlock/

2. Download terminal emulator then type the following in terminal:

Code:
su
sh tether.sh
3. After that your phone should reboot, and tethering should be unlocked! Also a copy of your original framework-res.apk
can be found in the following directory /mnt/extSdCard/MJ7_tether_unlock/orig-framework-res.apk

4. To restore back to your original framework-res.apk, (i.e, relock tethering) then type the following in terminal:

Code:
su
sh untether.sh

Downloads

Download the zip here

Devs, I've included just the framework-res.apk w/ just the mod here so you can customize it more as needed for your roms.

The Mod itself:

This is from the original arrays.xml

Code:
</integer-array>
    <string-array name="config_tether_usb_regexs">
        <item>usb\\d</item>
        <item>rndis\\d</item>
    </string-array>
    <string-array name="config_tether_wifi_regexs">
        <item>wlan0</item>
    </string-array>
    <array name="config_tether_wimax_regexs" />
    <string-array name="config_tether_bluetooth_regexs">
        <item>bt-pan</item>
    </string-array>
    <array name="config_tether_dhcp_range" />
    <string-array name="config_mobile_hotspot_provision_app">
        <item>com.samsung.spg</item>
        <item>com.samsung.spg.NewSPGActivity</item>
    </string-array>
    <integer-array name="config_tether_upstream_types">
        <item>0</item>
        <item>1</item>
        <item>5</item>
    </integer-array>
This is the modified arrays.xml

Code:
</integer-array>
    <string-array name="config_tether_usb_regexs">
        <item>usb\\d</item>
        <item>rndis\\d</item>
    </string-array>
    <string-array name="config_tether_wifi_regexs">
        <item>wlan0</item>
    </string-array>
    <array name="config_tether_wimax_regexs" />
    <string-array name="config_tether_bluetooth_regexs">
        <item>bt-pan</item>
    </string-array>
    <array name="config_tether_dhcp_range" />
    <array name="config_mobile_hotspot_provision_app" />
    <integer-array name="config_tether_upstream_types">
        <item>0</item>
        <item>1</item>
        <item>5</item>
        <item>7</item>
    </integer-array>

I see people complain about not having the Wifi or WifiHotspot toggles working depending on the rom they are on. The solution doesn't require SQLite Editor. You can solve this problem by appending the below to your /system/csc/feature.xml under <!-- Settings --> header by changing system to r/w while edition then chmod back to 644. Following your next
reboot/hot reboot/restarted systemui, pull down the toggle bar, click the settings button and it should allow you to choose to add any that weren't available previously.
Code:
<CscFeature_Setting_DefQuickPanelOrder>Wifi;Bluetooth;Location;AirplaneMode;WiFiHotspot;SmartStay;AutoRotate;MobileData;SilentMode;PowerSaving;MultiWindow;AirGesture;AllShareCast;SBeam;Nfc;AirView;Sync;SmartScroll;DrivingMode;DormantMode;BlockMode</CscFeature_Setting_DefQuickPanelOrder>

Give credit to @
open1your1eyes0 for testing the second build after I screwed up the first just his input on the shell script and mod in general. Thanks internet, specifically this page.

I am so happy to have tether again, but I am very curious as to how this goes unnoticed by Verizon? Since this gets processed through the native tethering app how does it stay below the radar of Big Red?
The Following User Says Thank You to Jsyme222 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
6th November 2013, 12:44 AM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 1

6 posts
Caution
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern_mind

Not sure what you are saying here can you do a more detailed description?
Thanks

So I saw this portion of the thread and thought I would try to achieve this also. I messed with the system folder and totally bricked my phone. No hope of recovery. It was my fault for messing with something that I knew nothing about but just want to caution anyone thinking of doing this to be very careful.
I changed permissions for this folder and locked up the phone and it won't even let me Odin, flash through recovery or sideload through adb.
So my device is toast.
Just be wary of messing with things unfamiliar.
6th November 2013, 01:24 AM   |  #9  
Flag Iowa

1,799 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimitrisg

So I saw this portion of the thread and thought I would try to achieve this also. I messed with the system folder and totally bricked my phone. No hope of recovery. It was my fault for messing with something that I knew nothing about but just want to caution anyone thinking of doing this to be very careful.
I changed permissions for this folder and locked up the phone and it won't even let me Odin, flash through recovery or sideload through adb.
So my device is toast.
Just be wary of messing with things unfamiliar.

Sorry I changed the directions because I could have been more clear. You messed with the system folder? I was saying to make the system r/w and chmod 644 the file feature.xml under /system/csc/. The system folder it self should be chmod 755, but you dont chmod the system to anything, leave the system folder alone in fact never change the permissions of /system or any folder within the /system directory, only change it on files within a folder. For example /system and /system/csc should both be rwxr-xr-x (755) and never changed, while /system/csc/feature.xml should have its permissions set to rw-r--r-- (644) What do you mean you cant Odin what happens when you try?
Last edited by Surge1223; 6th November 2013 at 01:38 AM.
6th November 2013, 02:09 AM   |  #10  
Flag Charlotte, NC
Thanks Meter: 226

1,230 posts
Donate to Me
More
what's chmod 644?? I've been around a while but I never heard that before?

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
galaxy s4 hack, gs4 tether, tether, verizon gs4 tether, wifi tether
Previous Thread Next Thread