OP Surge1223

14th October 2013, 07:16 PM   |  #1  
OP Recognized Contributor
Flag Iowa
Thanks Meter: 4,774

1,839 posts
Donate to Me
More
I've compiled the stock firmware for the Developer edition of the Galaxy S4. Specifically the 1545OYUAMDK variant that shares similarities to our beloved MDK. I got the partitions from users who had made backups prior to gaining root and/or other means to have the least modified version of the stock firmware. As far as the bootloader goes, I have the entire firmware and I edited the partitions to account for the padded zeroes and offsets. Below is a table of partitions, the green are those that I or dev edition owners were able to successfully flash with Heimdall/Odin and are signed, the red are ones that I am unable to flash probably because I incorrectly edited them to be consistent with the sha1 checksums of partitions verifying it immediately before or after or haven’t been tested by someone with a dev device.

I should note that I only tested this on a stock root ME7 build, therefore some partitions that I couldn't flash, the Dev edition of the Gs4 might be able to. I did confirm that users on OYUAMDK were able to flash certain parts of the firmware but no one has tried to completely go back to stock. As expected, I could flash all but recovery, boot, and aboot, djrbliss mentions that the difference between consumer and dev builds comes down to how aboot checks boot and recovery in his blog...so my findings are consistent with his research. I confirmed that the partitions that I did flash were actually flashed because I compared the hexdump of the files before and after (since the file sizes are mostly the same after cutting out the padded zeroes and other indicators). If you have a developer device and you absolutely need to flash stock firmware, this is probably as close as you will get, but more work needs to be done to refine this. Note, take precautionary measures and especially be careful when flashing aboot. Feel free to criticize these, and let me know if any changes need to be made. Use at your own risk and remember this is somewhat a work in progress.

Edit: One user on a dev build brick claims to have flashed aboot.mbn successfully. Status changed to yellow! (Need one more confirmation before I feel confident to give it the green light, pun intended)

Instructions:

Note that this is more meant for a emergency rather than convenience, also the purpose of this post was both to help the owners of development edition gs4 and to make the process better in the future, this can brick your device

If you do decide to dance with the devil, post your findings. The file is in tar.md5.gz format so odin will extract it to a tar.md5 for you or you can just flash it in heimdall. I have left the firmware.xml and pit file in the tar, you can remove them and edit them as needed.

Using Odin: Odin doesn’t play well with this. I’ve had varied results. Use Heimdall. But if you insist..have the latest Samsung drivers, try Odin versions 3.07+, make sure to run as administrator and select/click PDA then select the tar.md5.gz file. Also make sure that only "Auto Reboot" and "F. Reset Time" are checked before finally clicking start.

Using Heimdall: Load the package using frontend running as root. If you use Heimdall in the command line, then you probably already know what you're doing.

RECOMBINATION_I545OYUAMDK_562219_STOCK_RESTORE.tar .md5
MD5:
b238ac352255f3b26593dffa6d7aa72f

Download

Download Mirror

Size: File/Partition:

2597816 RECOMBINATION_I545OYUAMDK_562219_STOCK_RESTORE.tar .md5
8 SGR.pit
2518320 system.img.ext4
9000 NON-HLOS.bin
9488 recovery.img
208 tz.mbn
1200 aboot.mbn
50856 modem.bin
268 sbl3.mbn
152 rpm.mbn
96 sbl1.mbn
4 firmware.xml
8072 boot.img
152 sbl2.mbn

Before I get asked "What happens when people on MDK or ME7 try to flash this"?

I'll tell you my results, from numerous flashes in odin/heimdall. My baseband and build type are both now OYUAMDK as shown below and my phone doesn't show a custom screen nor does my phone think its modified. However this doesn't change the fact that we cannot downgrade to a older kernel. This will not unlock your device if you're on MDK or ME7 and flashing this carries a high risk of bricking your device. When flashing the stock MDK restore, ME7 users usually get a "SW REV. CHECK FAIL: FUSED: 3, Binary: 1" message, however with flashing this on ME7 users will receive a "SECURE CHECK FAIL: aboot" message instead either way its a fail.

Last edited by Surge1223; 10th November 2013 at 01:11 PM.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Surge1223 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
14th October 2013, 07:17 PM   |  #2  
Flag Iowa

1,839 posts
Donate to Me
More
Changelog

10/14/2013 - Initial release
10/19/2013 - Confirmed boot.img and recovery.img flash succesfully - status changed to green
11/09/2013 - User claims to have flashed aboot.mbn succesfully on dev build - status changed to yellow!
Last edited by Surge1223; 10th November 2013 at 01:09 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Surge1223 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
14th October 2013, 07:27 PM   |  #3  
Flag Newton, NC
Thanks Meter: 150

524 posts
Donate to Me
More
Awesome Surge! Now somebody with a Dev ed device on me7 like sound-mind should try it and see if they could restore their device to developer...

Sent from my SCH-I545 Dev Edition using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
14th October 2013, 08:50 PM   |  #4  
Flag West Milford, NJ
Thanks Meter: 164

235 posts
More
I am new to Heimdall. I am running it on a Windows 8 64 bit machine. Heimdall does not see the tar.md5.gz file....it seems to be looking for a tar.gz file. What am I doing wrong or what do I need to do. Thanks. This is a great resource to have,
14th October 2013, 09:23 PM   |  #5  
Flag Iowa

1,839 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeetch79

I am new to Heimdall. I am running it on a Windows 8 64 bit machine. Heimdall does not see the tar.md5.gz file....it seems to be looking for a tar.gz file. What am I doing wrong or what do I need to do. Thanks. This is a great resource to have,

Download 7-zip or winrar. Then extract the tar.md5.gz so it leave you with just a tar.md5. Then either:

1. Rename it to a tar, extract the files, and customize the package you want to flash using heimdall then heimdall will make a tar.gz for you

or

2. Rename the tar.md5 to tar, then using 7-zip in the right click menu or from the 7zip file manager menu select "add to archive" and under archive format select gzip.

Alternatively you can use the tar.md5 with odin, but I highly suggest using heimdall instead. I've had odin flash the file for me, but more often then not it fails for this particular odin tar.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Surge1223 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
14th October 2013, 09:29 PM   |  #6  
Flag West Milford, NJ

235 posts
More
Great! Thanks!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
15th October 2013, 12:18 AM   |  #7  
Flag Windsor Locks
Thanks Meter: 169

797 posts
More
Extraordinary progress and dedication and effort. Thank you so much!
15th October 2013, 12:48 AM   |  #8  
Flag Newton, NC
Thanks Meter: 150

524 posts
Donate to Me
More
So the file includes everything a stock Dev ed official Odin image would right? The red partitions are there even though you could not manage to flash them..

15th October 2013, 01:21 AM   |  #9  
Flag Iowa

1,839 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland_D

So the file includes everything a stock Dev ed official Odin image would right? The red partitions are there even though you could not manage to flash them..

Yes the red partitions are still there. But as to whether it includes everything? Technically no, the cache.img.ext4, persdata.img.ext4, and hidden.img.ext4 arent there yet. Im going to have to look more into hidden.img.ext4 because Id include it but. As far as cache.img.ext4 and persdata.img.ext4 I haven't come across a clean copy of either yet. I thought about just usings MDK's but ill look into it more before I include any more partitions.
15th October 2013, 01:55 AM   |  #10  
Flag West Milford, NJ

235 posts
More
Upon opening Heimdall I notice that I have the options to Load Package, Flash and Utilities but "Create Package" is greyed out. How does that become enabled?

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
bootloader, dev edition, firmware, heimdall, odin
Previous Thread Next Thread