Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,780,606 Members 48,933 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Device not recognized by Windows 8.1

Tip us?

Ikarisan
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Unhappy [Q] Device not recognized by Windows 8.1

Hi!

I have a very annoying problem. My HTC M8 is not recognized by my new Windows 8.1 Professional System.
If I connect the phone to my PC Windows plays the "new device" sound but nothing more happens. Neither in normal MTP-Mode nor in the USB debugging mode. I checked out the Windows device manager but the phone is not listed.

First I thought that it might be a problem with the Android Revolution HD 7.0 ROM, but the phone works on my notebook (Windows 7) without installing any special drivers. And my old Samsung Galaxy Nexus works with Windows 8.1.

I installed the HTC Sync Manager... didn't help.
I installed the HTC Driver package... didn't help.
I installed the Universal ADB Driver... didn't help either.

Then I tried different USB ports.. nothing

My Beer Belly
Old
Thanks Meter 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikarisan View Post
Hi!

I have a very annoying problem. My HTC M8 is not recognized by my new Windows 8.1 Professional System.
If I connect the phone to my PC Windows plays the "new device" sound but nothing more happens. Neither in normal MTP-Mode nor in the USB debugging mode. I checked out the Windows device manager but the phone is not listed.

First I thought that it might be a problem with the Android Revolution HD 7.0 ROM, but the phone works on my notebook (Windows 7) without installing any special drivers. And my old Samsung Galaxy Nexus works with Windows 8.1.

I installed the HTC Sync Manager... didn't help.
I installed the HTC Driver package... didn't help.
I installed the Universal ADB Driver... didn't help either.

Then I tried different USB ports.. nothing
I had the same issue and I believe it's because the Samsung Gnex drivers are still on your computer. Use Wugfresh's Nexus Root Toolkit to completely uninstall all drivers related to the Gnex, restart, and then plugin the M8. Windows will most likely install all the necessary drivers automatically.

Ikarisan
Old
(Last edited by Ikarisan; 30th May 2014 at 03:54 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
No, it's still not working. I removed ALL Samsung and HTC driver (with uninstaller and USBDeview), restarted my PC and plugged in my HTC. Windows plays the sound and USBDeview shows three new HTC devices with the assigned drive letters F: and L:. But the drives are not assigned and ADB cannot find the M8.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	usbdeview.png
Views:	47
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	2771314  

Ikarisan
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Ok, now it's getting strange.

I reinstalled the HTC driver again from the hasoon2000 website. And now, my M8 appears
under the available storage devices. But only when I disable the USB debugging! If debugging is enabled still nothing happens!

As a last try I have installed the "Universal ADB driver" again... didn't change anything.

I really don't know what's going wrong.
The M8 works on my Win7 notebook, my Win7 PC at work and it worked well on my develop PC (in a peaceful coexistence with my Samsung Galaxy Nexus), before I installed Windows8.1 (fresh install, no upgrade!)

ashyx
Old
Thanks Meter 38
Disable Windows driver signature enforcement in advanced pc settings then install these drivers via device manager.
http://www.mediafire.com/?i3lcm7dwl581518
The Following User Says Thank You to ashyx For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Ikarisan
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashyx View Post
Disable Windows driver signature enforcement in advanced pc settings then install these drivers via device manager.
http://www.mediafire.com/?i3lcm7dwl581518
THANK YOU!!!!

It works! Great! Thank you so much!!
Tags
htc, usb, windows 8.1