Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,780,956 Members 48,298 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Touch Screen Problems

Tip us?

ryoojin83
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Touch Screen Problems

Is anyone else having problems with their touch screen?

It will occasionally become unresponsive, and other times will just start 'clicking' repeatedly in random spots.

I find myself having to turn the power off and on (via the button, not a hard power cycle) to fix the issue. Its starting to get annoying.

Anyone else?
Current Device:
Samsung Galaxy Nexus

Past Devices:
HTC Incredible
Rogers Magic on AT&T
HTC Touch HD
AT&T Tilt

M3RK
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Yes, I am getting the same thing but I've found that if I just turn the screen off and then back on it fixes the problem. I don't need to reboot.

ryoojin83
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
You think this would warrant an exchange? or is it just how its going to be?
Current Device:
Samsung Galaxy Nexus

Past Devices:
HTC Incredible
Rogers Magic on AT&T
HTC Touch HD
AT&T Tilt

Sirchuk
Old
Thanks Meter 38
I've put several hours on mine, but haven't experienced this issue. I don't know, if this happened to me more than once, I probably would exchange it.
Rooted Android Devices:
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Samsung Galaxy S4
Kindle Fire HD
HTC EVO 4G LTE
Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Motorola Xoom - Verizon
HTC EVO 4G
HTC Hero
HTC T-Mobile G1

gigadigit
Old
Thanks Meter 0
It was happening to me all the time. I had to get a screen protector and haven't happened since.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryoojin83 View Post
Is anyone else having problems with their touch screen?

It will occasionally become unresponsive, and other times will just start 'clicking' repeatedly in random spots.

I find myself having to turn the power off and on (via the button, not a hard power cycle) to fix the issue. Its starting to get annoying.

Anyone else?

johnopsec
Old
Thanks Meter 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigadigit View Post
It was happening to me all the time. I had to get a screen protector and haven't happened since.
Very good "solution" to what should be an obvious problem. The Nook Color has a *capacitive* touch-screen. If you get "junk/gunk" on the screen, it's gonna cause you issues. I find this to be the case while holding my NC and playing Flight Director for a while. The issue: My hands become sweaty and as a result of the slight film of sweat/oil on the screen, the NC's ability to measure the capacitive changes on the screen (and react appropriately to them) is compromised.

Keep your screen clean and you won't have this issue.

Note: after you wipe the screen down (damp cloth, etc), you will need to click the power button and go the lock screen and then back into the NC before it works right directly after cleaning the screen. The dampness of the cleaning cloth throws up the calibration enough to cause very strange things. My experience with "correcting" this issue tells me that in some way, the NC is recalibrating itself when you go to the lock screen.

M3RK
Old
Thanks Meter 2
johnopsec, this has been my experience as well. After cleaning the screen from finger-jam i don't get the phantom clicks. I also noticed that because I live in a very humid climate (Florida panhandle) there will be a thin moisture layer buildup sometimes and it really helps to wipe this off. I also have an incredible that does not have this problem but it has a screen protector which, I am guessing (and as gigadigit expressed), fixes the problem. Just make sure the screen is clean and dry before applying!

psychoticsmiley
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Default screen response

Also,

If you are holding the side of the case by the screen this throws off the touchscreen, I was having the issue where it would be clicking and multiple letter inputs when typing.

Also when it is laying flat and you have the power cord plugged in you may get multi letter inputs.

The trick, hold it by the back not the sides.
and if you have it plugged in and need to type don't leave it laying flat.

PHiZ
Old
Thanks Meter 2
I have experienced this problem and loosely seen it correlated with moist fingers.

madsquabbles
Old
Thanks Meter 250
no moist fingers here and on my 2nd nc. this ones starting to have the ghost touches too.